GDT: @ Memphis

Not going to win any games if you shoot like that. 
Not much else to say.
23/73 from 2

5/21 from 3

A lot of them were good looks too.

Thats the game.

A few positives for me….Hargrove 20 and 11 he showed he belongs and can step up when needed.

I know Okoro missed a bunch of bunnies but I think he showed he can play with anybody. He is still shaking the rust off by conference play he is going to be a monster.

Collins couldn’t shoot but he had 7 assists. Would have been more if anybody could make a bucket.

Oh well. It’s good to play a superior team. It will help down the road. 

Zink, rgbilliken and CBFan like this

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

Cut it to 16 point loss.  Not really unexpected.  Could have been different early with missed bunnies and missed free throws.  Not too too disappointed.

It felt closer the whole game we just couldn't string together a run. Nothing came easy. Would of been nice to get a little step up in comp before this game.  But I saw some good things. 

I don’t know why, because the game was pretty much out of hand, but when Fred let that 5’7” dude take one dribble and shoot a wide open three FOR HIS FOURTH OF THE NIGHT, it absolutely infuriated me.  Then he threw the ball away.. then looked to be pouting for not getting the ball in the corner.  I’m officially off the Fred trolley..

NextYearBill likes this

Not even counting the blocked ones, how is it possible to miss that many layups and dunks in one game? I really hope this was TJ's coming out party tonight. He's finally matching up an array of basketball moves with his athleticism. Franco needs to play with more confidence. He works hard on the offensive glass then looks hesitant on the putback. Slam the damn thing home, Franco.

1 hour ago, NH said:

One interesting thing about Bates is that he won’t be in the NBA a year from now because he’s not old enough. Hopefully we see him at Chaifetz next season

That is what the SI article said.  He misses the deadline by something like 28 days.  His ‘people’ are trying to get that rule changed or at least an exemption for him. 

had this game been on a weekend, i would have made the trip, blown scalper level money on premium seats, eaten at the roundevous, stopped at lambert's (twice likely) and spent a ton on beale street.   so overall, i'd like to thank chris may for scheduling that game midweek and saving me a ton of money.  that's all.  

bring on mercer!  wouldnt want to be them now.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

had this game been on a weekend, i would have made the trip, blown scalper level money on premium seats, eaten at the roundevous, stopped at lambert's (twice likely) and spent a ton on beale street.   so overall, i'd like to thank chris may for scheduling that game midweek and saving me a ton of money.  that's all.  

bring on mercer!  wouldnt want to be them now.

while the loss was disappointing, there were many positives. First of all, we got to the free throw line 32 times ( to their 33) and yet had an amazing 20 more shots from the field (77-57). this was a result of being a +10 in turnover margin and a +10 in offensive rebounding. You win 9 times out of 10 with those numbers. We lost unfortunately because of missed layups(had to be at least 10), mediocre ft's made( 65% to their 60%), and abysmal 3 point shooting (22% to their 47%). Obvious positives were Hargrove's entire game, and Okoro's domination of the boards. 

40 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

while the loss was disappointing, there were many positives. First of all, we got to the free throw line 32 times ( to their 33) and yet had an amazing 20 more shots from the field (77-57). this was a result of being a +10 in turnover margin and a +10 in offensive rebounding. You win 9 times out of 10 with those numbers. We lost unfortunately because of missed layups(had to be at least 10), mediocre ft's made( 65% to their 60%), and abysmal 3 point shooting (22% to their 47%). Obvious positives were Hargrove's entire game, and Okoro's domination of the boards. 

Statbroadcast says we missed 23 layups and 3 dunks. 41 of our shot attempts were layups or dunks. We made 15. 😳

Where are our snipers? Gibby, Williams, Jones. Our 3 pt shooting has been horrendous even against the gimme teams. Not upset about last night as I think most had this game as an L. The games that will tell us what we’ve really got are Buff, Boise, Belmont. I expect we’ll give Pearl a run for his money too. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Where are our snipers? Gibby, Williams, Jones. Our 3 pt shooting has been horrendous even against the gimme teams. Not upset about last night as I think most had this game as an L. The games that will tell us what we’ve really got are Buff, Boise, Belmont. I expect we’ll give Pearl a run for his money too. 

Yeah we didn't shoot well from the outside, but the missed layups and dunks are far more concerning.   As I posted during the game, we played scared.   That upsets me because imo there is no excuse for the team to not be prepared mentally to play their biggest non conference game of the year.

Sure we have new faces and players playing this year who had much less roles last year.   But that would seem to be all the more reason for the COACHING STAFF to spend the time to make sure they are mentally ready to play.  

43 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We were shooting 41.9% from 3 before last night. 

Zink and Crewsorlose like this

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Memphis had 14 blocks and probably altered just as many.  Longest and most athletic opponent in Billiken history?

immediately i think of the louisville teams going back to the ekker days through pitino.   

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Yeah we didn't shoot well from the outside, but the missed layups and dunks are far more concerning.   As I posted during the game, we played scared.   That upsets me because imo there is no excuse for the team to not be prepared mentally to play their biggest non conference game of the year.

Sure we have new faces and players playing this year who had much less roles last year.   But that would seem to be all the more reason for the COACHING STAFF to spend the time to make sure they are mentally ready to play.  

i don't think scared is the right word, we were very aggressive throughout the game, i think it was more of rushing things and losing our composure...you can't duplicate what they faced last night in practice....i think they will be much better prepared the next time they are in that situation..

RUBillsFan and kappy96 like this

Just now, BIG BILL FAN said:

i don't think scared is the right word, we were very aggressive throughout the game, i think it was more of rushing things and losing our composure...you can't duplicate what they faced last night in practice....i think they will be much better prepared the next time they are in that situation..

i thought from an offensive standpoint, the billikens performance was embarrassing.  terrible display for what we all think is a top 2 in the league team.

almaman and NextYearBill like this

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Combination of scared and not scared enough. Duren is an elite college rim protector. Maybe pass it back out? Maybe that move that worked against Eastern Illinois isn't going to cut it. A combination of scared, dumb, and bad. Keep in mind that Memphis handled the ball terribly. 

A lot like that Seton Hall game. The team will be fine. They're fun to watch. And they played really hard.