GDT: @ Memphis

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'm so scared.  huge night imo.  

Why? Playing with house money without JP. Nobody expects us to win except for us. I want a win but a competitive loss would look good and a double digit loss still wouldn’t be the end of the world. Also the game isn’t on “broadcast tv”.

it's only one game, so in the grand scheme of things if we lose we will have a 1 in the loss column. Not to promote the moral victory concept, but I'm hoping for a competitive game that gives us some idea how we stack up against one of the supposed top teams in the nation. Although, I think Messphis is not in the same league as Zaga, Nova, UCLA, et al., they do have some very good players so it will be a benchmark game for us. An upset seems very possible based on what we've seen from us so far, but it is the first road game and will be played before a large hostile crowd. If nothing else, it will be an interesting night for us. Not the end of the world if we lose, and not a final four team if we win. 

Memphis' size and length will be a problem.  Can we score over it?  Can we force them into displaying whatever basketball skills they have?  From a physical standpoint, if they impose that will it will be a long night.  Can we get it to the point that Penny also has to display his coaching skills?  I always felt this is where Spoon and Majerus excelled ---- they could turn the court game back onto the coach and see if he could handle the heat as well.  

Looking for a decent showing and some more confidence.  A win would be gravy but not out of the question.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i'm so scared.  huge night imo.  

Don’t be scared…. We’re not weak.
Let’s bring guns to the knife fight… show them who’s boss

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

it's only one game, so in the grand scheme of things if we lose we will have a 1 in the loss column. Not to promote the moral victory concept, but I'm hoping for a competitive game that gives us some idea how we stack up against one of the supposed top teams in the nation. Although, I think Messphis is not in the same league as Zaga, Nova, UCLA, et al., they do have some very good players so it will be a benchmark game for us. An upset seems very possible based on what we've seen from us so far, but it is the first road game and will be played before a large hostile crowd. If nothing else, it will be an interesting night for us. Not the end of the world if we lose, and not a final four team if we win. 

i watched a litle of ucla and gonzaga last night.   gonzaga definitely has reached the stage whereby they just reload every year.   i think they look better than they were last year.   i just love the holmgren kid.  he's skinny, but beings he's still less than 20 years old, he has plenty of time to put some muscle on.   and of course timme is back who i also love.  i'm predicting now, they return to the national championship game.  

ucla really looks strong again as well.   the juzang kid is fantatic.  but they had like 4 or 5 guys score double figures last night.   

very very good teams.   both were fun to watch.  

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i watched a litle of ucla and gonzaga last night.   gonzaga definitely has reached the stage whereby they just reload every year.   i think they look better than they were last year.   i just love the holmgren kid.  he's skinny, but beings he's still less than 20 years old, he has plenty of time to put some muscle on.   and of course timme is back who i also love.  i'm predicting now, they return to the national championship game.  

ucla really looks strong again as well.   the juzang kid is fantatic.  but they had like 4 or 5 guys score double figures last night.   

very very good teams.   both were fun to watch.  

Mick Cronin basketball with that level of talent is pretty fun to watch.  It is nice to see a guy like Cronin have the success he is having at a place like UCLA.

AGB91 likes this

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think if we lose this game, you have to question Ford's future at this University. If we lose, I am not sure I'd let him on the plane/bus back home but that's just me. 

What a horrible take, jesus f christ. The man's job hinges on a November matchup against an 11th ranked team on their homecourt?? 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He’s 100% joking. SLUfan13 is the driest sense of humor of anyone I know. 

That's settling, dry humor does not translate well via text especially on a message board that was founded on historically bad takes. 

Roll Bills.