Two Man Game with Rammer, a Podcast

HoosierPal

Seems like everyone is doing podcasts these days.   Here is a new podcast with Rammer and Rocchio.  Not sure when this dropped (maybe last Thursday).  It's a tight 48 minutes but the last 15 minutes are on the NBA. So half an hour on the Bills.

Some good points brought up on Collins and Jimerson. After the H-S game, Williams came out with a Student Manager and worked on his shot.  They were the last one's to leave the arena.

Nesbitt - "mean-mugging" guys. 

Ford emphasizing talking on defense.  He showed the team an NBA video that shows how much the players talk on D.

Traore - he can really shoot.  He hit's the three in practice.  He will develop into a Rob Loe type of player.

Hargrove, we take for granted his energy.  Strickland, his H-S dunk was top 5 Billiken dunk of all time per Rammer.  Surprised everyone playing point guard.

Rammer states that Ford's recruiting is top notch, but his on floor game management and teaching have improved dramatically.  We are getting a lot of different looks in each possession.  Not a lot of wasted motion, killing time, on offense.  We are playing faster, but that doesn't mean a higher tempo.  There are more options on each set that we progress through. You are seeing multiple screens, including double screens and back screens on each set. (Interesting)  Ford's play book is huge. He adds to it to make the team difficult to scout.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1lPKqmQRvNlKb

• HoosierPal changed the title to Two Man Game with Rammer, a Podcast
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Podcast from Rammer.  39 minutes.  Dropped yesterday. These aren't showing up on the Billiken.com homepage.

Criticised the first half of the Memphis game, questioned the plan of attack with the players on the court in the first half.  Second half was better.  Billikens were 'freaked out' to start the game per Rammer.  Circled Nesbitt and Linssen in this category.  Linssen was frustrated with his own performance.  Six TO's from Collins, he was trying to do too much on his own.  A lot of this was corrected at halftime.

Is there a middle ground somewhere between Memphis and the first three games we saw this season.  Can they run their offense and get their shots off against a solid mid-level team.  Next three games may define this season.

Hargrove showed he is not just an athlete but a basketball player that can play with anyone in the country.  He was running with Duran and Bates. 

23 offensive rebounds.  The #1 question going this season was how to replace Goodwin's and French's rebounding.  Maybe this isn't a concern.

Okoro has a 'funky' FT shot.  He starts his hand on top of the ball but it comes off and moves to the side. Wouldn't surprise if the lineup changes (Okoro starting) but they don't see the minutes changing between Linssen and Okoro, until Traore is ready. As Majerus said "starting is for high school".

Jimerson's game, he only got three shots off.  Disappointment but not a worry.  Clear to Rammer that Penny took Jimerson out of the game.  That will happen.  The key is for the rest of the team to step up so they have to play Jimerson straight up.

Mercer game.  They have nearly five players in double figures. (One is at 9+).  They will run the pick and roll.  Rammer is confident the Billikens will handle Mercer's pick and roll.  Stopping dribble penetration needs to be paramount against Mercer.  Mercer is not a little team, but they aren't Memphis.  They believe the Billikens can impose their will inside with Okoro/Linssen, Hargrove and Nesbitt.

Ford values deflections.  Steals come and go.  They expect deflections to continue. 

Rammer, 3 point shooters will be fine.  Numbers are a little low now, but they will improve.  FT shooting has been good. Jimerson needs to get to the line more. Collins has shown a dramatic improvement from the FT line (.909 to date).

After 20 minutes they talked college BB and the NBA.

• 2 weeks later...

Rammer and Rocc with some pearls. 

IL State's zone confounded the Billikens.   The execution of the half court offense was not what was expected.  Seeing difference defenses and offenses is on the list of things you want to see in non-conference play.

SFA a vet team that plays hard. What they couldn't do was beat the Billikens inside game with Linssen and Okoro.  SFA losing their PG to foul trouble early in the first half, this game would have been a lot closer if he had been in.  Each Nesbitt bucket was like a dagger to SFA.  His baseline jumper is a pro move.  It' not just the shot but the moves paired with the shot.  He was dribbling in a tight box to get to his spot.  TJ Hargrove had a weird night, with fumblitis.  Maybe he was trying to be too quick.  Travis said, keep playing.  He hit a big shot near the end of the game.  Linssen and Okoro more than equaled their big guy.

Play at the end of the first half, Jones to Nesbitt, Jones curled back, catches 3/4 court, at 3.5 seconds.  Rammer thought he was gathering for his shot, but it went to Nesbitt.  From "out of sight", Nesbitt elevated, caught it basically under the rim, hung and put it up off the glass. 

Nesbitt's attention to detail on defense has improved since Ford benched him for his defense in an earlier game.  He isn't getting caught flat footed like he was before.  His three point shot has a tight, quick release. Hasn't shot many three's on the catch and shoot.  Most are off the dribble.

Going into the season, teams likely said don't let the Billikens beat you from deep.  With the improvement of Linssen and Okoro, now you have to play straight up.

Jimerson has gone from the back door cut with Collins, to faking the backdoor cut and jetting back to the three.  This has to be annoying to opposing coaches.  

Too many TOs in both games.  Collins was trying to do too much against SFA.  Team has to regroup on this.  Maybe fatigue?  Collins had to do a lot of work against the ILState zone. 

Deandre Jones had great minutes, playing with and without Collins.  Fred Thatch has become a glue guy since Memphis. He can defend guys 3 to 4" taller than him.  He has become an outlet late in the shot clock, to reset the offense and get a pass off for a last second shot.

Mullen's Technical resulted in an 11-0 run for the Bills. That backfired on the Redbirds. 

After the team won the Challenge, Coach stood back letting the team celebrate and was obviously emotional.  Players one by one came over and gave him a hug.  On the post game, he was tearing up talking about Ford Stuen. 

Heading to Boise State, a team that thinks they can win the Mountain West Conference. 

Reports of the Atlantic 10 demise are premature.

Dropped on Thursday.  30 minutes of Billiken talk.

Are our FT's numbers and % sustainable? Rammer thinks so, there won't be too much of a drop off.  Nesbitt needs to get to the line more.  Jimerson's jump in FT # is unusual.  If defenses tighten up on him, not let him drive but let him shoot three's, then his FT numbers would drop but his three's would balance that out.  Rammer says this squad should hit over 70% at the end of the year.

The Bills were 17 points over the Bronco's 40 minute defensive average, on their floor with their refs.  There was 'intense disagreement' with Ford and the officials from the opening tip.  Billikens were outplayed on offense and defense, but dominated in FT's.  That was the formula for the win. 

Jimerson is the offensive go-to guy.  Last year, post Covid, Jimerson just couldn't get clicking.  He has become a star player. 

Nesbitt, the offense isn't there yet.  He has a nature ability to score.  It will come. He is contributing as a defender, rebounder and motor guy.  He hadn't played competitively much in 18 months until the season started.  His offensive game will come in January or February. 

UAB; Coach Andy Kennedy played against the Bills.  We are 7-17 against them.  Only three on the roster are not transfers, over the past three years.   Jackson is a defensive menace.  Jackson might guard Jimerson or Collins, as when Collins has troubles the Bills struggle.   5'11" Walker, their PG, might not be on Collins, but on Jimerson.  We have to cut our TO's tomorrow.  Points off turnovers is a little more specific to the Bills issue.   Their 7' center plays 20+ minutes per game, at almost 2 blocks per game.   Lineup usage by UAB has been unusual.  Their last game they went 7 deep, but prior games 9 deep. Kennedy has been switching his rotation a lot. This will be the biggest front line we have seen to date.  They have two 6'7" players Buffin and LeBlanc to switch out up front.  (Auburn is bigger.)

No change anticipated in the starters (Linssen v Okoro) but minutes will remain about the same. Might see both in at the same time against UAB, if they are not in foul trouble.  Both teams are better offensive rebounding teams than defensive rebounding teams.  We normally play 4 guards and a big.  Everyone has to rebound.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Rammer is wrong about the Broncos outplaying us on offense. Getting to the line is a big part of the offense this season. Getting to the line for 34 FTA and averaging 1.106 points per possession is SLU playing offense really well.

Did you listen to Rammer. He explained his comment. 

I haven’t had the chance to listen to the podcast, yet.  That said, I don’t see anything he could say in his explanation that would change my position.  We were very efficient offensively against the Broncos and the point per possession number is what it is.

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I haven’t had the chance to listen to the podcast, yet.  That said, I don’t see anything he could say in his explanation that would change my position.  We were very efficient offensively against the Broncos and the point per possession number is what it is.

He singled out FT as ‘special teams’. Took it out for his discussion of O and D. You may not agree but at least he explained his remark. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

He singled out FT as ‘special teams’. Took it out for his discussion of O and D. You may not agree but at least he explained his remark. 

I understand the point he is trying to make, but their is something to be said for running an offense effectively enough to generate the FTA numbers the Billikens generated that night and all year.

I agree with him on the defense.  IMO, the defense has been pretty disappointing all year.

Westy03 likes this

Listening to the podcast, Rammer states Yuri should be 3 or 4 to 1 ass/to ratio. It just kills me how many people think that’s not out of the ordinary or should be expected from a great point guard. 

I did a little research and used the top 40 assist per game leaders ( 40 because it was the 1st page in the ESPN stats I used. ) 

Over the last 3 seasons 40 per season so 120 possibilities only 8 times has a player had over a 3-1 ratio and 0 in the top 10 in any of the 3 seasons. You have to go back 5 seasons to find a player in the top 10 with over a 3-1 ratio and that was Lonzo Ball at 3.06 -1. 

On the  other end out of those 3 seasons 50 had under a 2-1 ratio. 

Finishing in the top 10 is an amazing accomplishment. Finishing in the top 10 with over a 3-1 ass/to ratio is beyond elite. 

Can we please quit judging Yuri as if he should have 8 assists a game and then act like 3-4 turnovers is a problem that needs corrected. It’s not it’s the norm for someone with his exceptional passing skills.

When he’s at 6 assists and 5 t/o’s it’s not a good game but for every top assist man a season with a 2.5 -1 ratio comes with some games at 1-1, some at 3-1, and for Yuri some at over 9-1

willie, NH, BrockL and 2 others like this

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Listening to the podcast, Rammer states Yuri should be 3 or 4 to 1 ass/to ratio. It just kills me how many people think that’s not out of the ordinary or should be expected from a great point guard. 

I did a little research and used the top 40 assist per game leaders ( 40 because it was the 1st page in the ESPN stats I used. ) 

Over the last 3 seasons 40 per season so 120 possibilities only 8 times has a player had over a 3-1 ratio and 0 in the top 10 in any of the 3 seasons. You have to go back 5 seasons to find a player in the top 10 with over a 3-1 ratio and that was Lonzo Ball at 3.06 -1. 

Finishing in the top 10 is an amazing accomplishment. Finishing in the top 10 with over a 3-1 ass/to ratio is beyond elite. 

skip the only problem with the above is that collins is not a 3-1 assists to turnover player yet.   currently he is 2.01 - 1.   yes that is good.  but not legendary.   last game we saw yuri act like a very good point guard.  the previous few games, not so much.   hopefully he stops the walking the ball down the floor, driving into the trees to throw up horrible shots nonsense and continues pushing the ball down the floor and creating advantage opportunities like he did vs boston college.   he does that, he can be the great point guard we are all expecting.  

You gotta spend money to make money ..... which  in this context means you are going to have some errors in commission or the execution of the play.  I don't mind that, I trust Collins to have more "finds" than "losses."  Put this way -- I'd be happy if he eliminated all the lazy turnovers, no matter who's fault that is.  I am also reasonable enough to know that won't happen because no one plays the perfect basketball game night-in and night-out.  How many times did Babe Ruth strike out?

I do agree with roy --- let 'em run.

drkelsey55 likes this

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

As you pointed out, most people are ignorant of statistics.  They just say what sounds good.  And it impacts how they perceive what they're watching.  When a 5-11 point guard with an average jump shot is able to dominate a basketball game, even if it's only a handful of times a season, your mind should be blown.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

skip the only problem with the above is that collins is not a 3-1 assists to turnover player yet.   currently he is 2.01 - 1.   yes that is good.  but not legendary.   last game we saw yuri act like a very good point guard.  the previous few games, not so much.   hopefully he stops the walking the ball down the floor, driving into the trees to throw up horrible shots nonsense and continues pushing the ball down the floor and creating advantage opportunities like he did vs boston college.   he does that, he can be the great point guard we are all expecting.  

Maybe not legendary by NCAA standards, but it is legendary by Billiken standards. Yuri leads all SLU point guards in assists per game at 6.1, with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.03. Here’s the assist to turnover ratio for some of the best passers SLU has seen:

H Waldman - 2.11

Jim Roder- 2.29

Charles Newberry -2.0

Josh Fisher (all-time assists leader)- 1.67

LaTodd Johnson - 1.18

Jordan Goodwin (albeit he wasn’t a true point guard) - 1.35

Jordair Jett - 1.41

Kwamain Mitchell - 1.48

Yuri assists at a higher rate than any other SLU player already while still maintaining a 2.03 assist to turnover, which is something that very few players in our history have been able to achieve. When you consider that’s he still only in his third season, that’s legendary in my eye. Of course we would all like to see him play better than he did prior to the BC game, but it’s understandable thinking about the fact that he lost his number one passing option and is under pressure to lead the team by himself.

Edited by NoCoBillsFan
Typo
slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

You apparently didn’t read my post. I never claimed Yuri was at 3-1. I stated how exceptional that would be. I stated that because many on this board and you seem to be one of those that think that is what should be expected. 

Yuri is at 2.07 this year and if he just maintains that through the end of the year it would put him 16th place ranking the top 10 apg leaders over the last 3 seasons. That’s pretty damn good. 

Can he be better. Yes, I think so. But that’s an improvement over very damn good. 

My post is just really meant to just give expectations a dose of reality. And when we have someone like Rammer saying Yuri should be at 3-4 / 1 per game, it sets expectations that aren’t based on reality

6 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Of course we would all like to see him player than he did prior to the BC game, but it’s understandable thinking about the fact that he lost his number one passing option and is under pressure to lead the team by himself.

trying to lead the team by himself was a disaster.    he needs to concentrate on controlling the pace of the game (play fast) and being a point guard.   he is not "the man".   take scoring opportunities when there, but driving into the trees is fruitless.  throwing up shots just because is not good with below average shooting skills.  i dont want him not to score

drkelsey55 likes this

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You apparently didn’t read my post. I never claimed Yuri was at 3-1. I stated how exceptional that would be. I stated that because many on this board and you seem to be one of those that think that is what should be expected. 

Yuri is at 2.07 this year and if he just maintains that through the end of the year it would put him 16th place ranking the top 10 apg leaders over the last 3 seasons. That’s pretty damn good. 

Can he be better. Yes, I think so. But that’s an improvement over very damn good. 

My post is just really meant to just give expectations a dose of reality. And when we have someone like Rammer saying Yuri should be at 3-4 / 1 per game, it sets expectations that aren’t based on reality

just the opposite skip.  i dont expect it.   i think he is a good point guard but not even the best point guard in program history.  yet you and others write as though he is the best ever and a worthy candidate for best in all the land.   i say he has a ways to go to become either.   

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

just the opposite skip.  i dont expect it.   i think he is a good point guard but not even the best point guard in program history.  yet you and others write as though he is the best ever and a worthy candidate for best in all the land.   i say he has a ways to go to become either.   

Roy, You seem to be deflecting. You read my post and turn it into a debate over a point I wasn't even making. Will you at least acknowledge that 2-1 for a top assist man in the country is very good, 2.5-1 is exceptional and 3-1 is the top of the elite. All I'm saying is that expectation for Yuri's ass/to ratio should at least be tempered with at least a tiny dash of reality

So who is the best in program history? 

And the stats actually seem to support that he's at least in the conversation for the best in CBB this year as far as passers go. 

I agree that for Yuri to be considered the best pg in CBB he needs to score more and shoot a better percentage. However, as he sits right now scoring as he does, I'll take Yuri over about 90% of the point guards in the country. 

So Gibson finishes the year making the 2nd most 3 pointers per game in the country. However, among the top 10 he merely ranks 7th, are we disappointed in his %. Are we criticizing him because he didn't finish with a higher % than any of the top 10 over the last 3 seasons? 

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

H

I don't agree but I can see the debate. H was a better scorer, and a better shooter. However, he had some pretty good players to pass to and didn't have the assists Yuri has with about the same ass/to ratio.  Also, we are comparing his Jr and Sr seasons. 

In the end I'd take Yuri, however I certainly wouldn't call anyone who says H as wrong. A very good case can easily be made for him. 

NoCoBillsFan likes this