Mem over The Bills by 7

The Wiz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Also shocked to see that we haven't beaten a ranked opponent since 2013. That just sounds like so long ago. 

I was looking into this earlier today. We actually beat 5 ranked teams in 2013. Since that time we've lost 14 straight. 

We have not had that many chances to play ranked teams in recent years, playing none last season. Two years ago we played Seton Hall, Auburn and Dayton twice who were all ranked.

Zink likes this

3 minutes ago, NH said:

I was looking into this earlier today. We actually beat 5 ranked teams in 2013. Since that time we've lost 14 straight. 

We have not had that many chances to play ranked teams in recent years, playing none last season. Two years ago we played Seton Hall, Auburn and Dayton twice who were all ranked.

And three of those four games were so close...Auburn was the first game in which I remember thinking Javonte could be something special. He had 16 points 6 rebounds in 28 minutes. 

The two Dayton games were lost by just 2 (OT @ Chaifetz) and 6 (in Dayton) and both felt stolen from us. I expected a third game in the conference tourney against them too for 5 total ranked opponents. 

Surprise, for me at least, the Vegas implied line for the SLU - Memphis game is 11.5 in favor of Memphis. Compared to the Wiz's estinate, this one is pretty close. I was expecting a Vegas implied line of around 20 pts favoringf Memphis, but that is not what it was.

Personally, I think we can defeat Memphis tomorrow.

These are the current stats for SLU and Mem as per Team Rankings, as you can see we are very close with significant differences in a few categories.

Offensive Stat Comparison

Stat SLU MEM
Points/Game 91.0 89.5
Avg Score Margin +38.5 +31.5
Assists/Game 16.0 17.0
Total Rebounds/Gm 46.5 39.0
Effective FG % 54.7% 64.0%
Off Rebound % 39.4% 36.8%
FTA/FGA 0.321 0.523
Turnover % 11.8% 20.0%

Defensive Stat Comparison

Stat SLU MEM
Opp Points/Game 52.5 58.0
Opp Effective FG % 39.3% 35.8%
Off Rebounds/Gm 13.0 10.5
Def Rebounds/Gm 29.0 25.5
Blocks/Game 2.0 12.0
Steals/Game 10.0 11.0
Personal Fouls/Gm 16.0 20.5

What scares me about tonight is the first few minutes of the game.  This is the first time in over a year that anyone on this team has played in front of a large hostile crowd.  If we survive the first five or so minutes, I think we will have have a good ball game.

i havent been to a memphis game since the Conference USA days.   i can tell you that is a wild crowd.  they will be loud.   i havent been to the fed x arena, but i would only think the fact there isnt a mile high ceiliing like the pyramid used to be only will make it louder.   so imo cant let them go on long runs.  keep the crowd out of the game.  those kids will feed off the frenzy of a game going out of control.  

19 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

And three of those four games were so close...Auburn was the first game in which I remember thinking Javonte could be something special. He had 16 points 6 rebounds in 28 minutes. 

The two Dayton games were lost by just 2 (OT @ Chaifetz) and 6 (in Dayton) and both felt stolen from us. I expected a third game in the conference tourney against them too for 5 total ranked opponents. 

The Dayton home game still hurts my heart

SLU is 25-33 all-time vs. Memphis, including 5-22 on the road, mostly at Mid-South Coliseum and The Pyramid.

SLU has played one game vs. Memphis at FedEx Forum, losing 79-59 under Brad Soderberg in the C-USA Tournament on 3/9/05.

While a SLU win tonight is not out of the realm of possibility, it would be a tall order, literally and figuratively.

SLU has faced Memphis (formerly Memphis State) teams coached by the likes of Moe Iba, Gene Bartow, Wayne Yates, Dana Kirk, Larry Finch, Tic Price, Johnny Jones, John Calipari, and Josh Pastner.

The last meeting was on 3/16/12 in the NCAA Tournament in Columbus, which turned out to be Coach Rick Majerus' last Win at SLU, SLU 61 Memphis 54.  The Tigers then were coached by Josh Pastner.  I was there along with thousands of SLU fans.  It was a great night, as Mizzou lost to Norfolk State and Duke lost to Lehigh, while the Billikens took down Memphis.

54 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU is 25-33 all-time vs. Memphis, including 5-22 on the road, mostly at Mid-South Coliseum and The Pyramid.

SLU has played one game vs. Memphis at FedEx Forum, losing 79-59 under Brad Soderberg in the C-USA Tournament on 3/9/05.

While a SLU win tonight is not out of the realm of possibility, it would be a tall order, literally and figuratively.

SLU has faced Memphis (formerly Memphis State) teams coached by the likes of Moe Iba, Gene Bartow, Wayne Yates, Dana Kirk, Larry Finch, Tic Price, Johnny Jones, John Calipari, and Josh Pastner.

The last meeting was on 3/16/12 in the NCAA Tournament in Columbus, which turned out to be Coach Rick Majerus' last Win at SLU, SLU 61 Memphis 54.  The Tigers then were coached by Josh Pastner.  I was there along with thousands of SLU fans.  It was a great night, as Mizzou lost to Norfolk State and Duke lost to Lehigh, while the Billikens took down Memphis.

Didn’t soderberg face teams coached by Calipari? Also, how many of soderberg’s first two games had like a positive 40 point differential? Based on the above, you could argue that the low bar cannot go below a 20 point loss, but more likely, the standard deviation keeps the final score of a loss inside of 10 points. And you could argue that our average game keeps this game very close. By that logic, if we have a good game, then we could blow them out.

I think I found a way to open up the blue KoolAid spigot beyond its max setting.

Well, I don't think many fans had us going undefeated for the year. If you figured any losses this year, this was probably one of them. Rather than go into a deep analysis, I will simplify things to make the game less painful and so we can move on to what can still be a successful season.

Here in a nutshell is what happened....31.2 / 34.5 / 22.7 / 65.6.....F- / F- /  F- / F....Just plain dismal shooting.....even the FT shooting which had been pretty good this year was off and we can't blame that on the opp defense.

Hey ...it happens ...every team has at least 1 bad game a season....this will be ours...and again . we can still  have a good season even with this loss. This was a learning experience and we will be a better team for it.

This concludes the analysis of this game.  Reading past this line may inflict unnecessary pain.

What...Are you still here?  ...go home...it's over.....Ferris Bueller

Had the Bills had an average night ( for an average D1 team....C/C/C/C ) taking the same number of shots, we would have had....7 more 2s....2 more 3s  and 2 more FTs....wait you are getting ahead of me....yes 22 additional pts for an easy win.

I told you to stop reading above...

The advice is still the same ....move on ...next game.

Wiz, I also thought we could win but we did not. I thought we put up a good fight, I thought the refs plainly were not calling all the fouls they made, and I also thought we were a bit intimidated by them, particularly Bates.  It is over, we lost, now onto the next game.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Wiz, I also thought we could win but we did not. I thought we put up a good fight, I thought the refs plainly were not calling all the fouls they made, and I also thought we were a bit intimidated by them, particularly Bates.  It is over, we lost, now onto the next game.

Do not blame this loss on the refs.

1 minute ago, willie said:

I'm sure the board won't agree but I thought we got a lot of favorable calls. 

I had the TV synced to KMOX and even Rammer commented more than once that we got away with a foul. 

If the refs called every touch foul, the game would not yet be over here at noon on Wednesday.

willie likes this

5 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm sure the board won't agree but I thought we got a lot of favorable calls. 

I thought we got some calls early in the game when we were keeping it close (but then we failed to capitalize w missed FTs) and late in the game where the refs largely swallowed their whistles.  They didn't do us any favors when Memphis went on the run(s) that put the game away.

It was a super physical game and the refs for the most part let them play.  That would have benefited the Goodwin / French teams against most opponents.  It did not benefit this team against such a big physical Memphis squad.

Refs made themselves look bad by doing a lot of waiting to see if a basket was made & then calling a foul.  I really hate that, but refs weren't close to being the reason we lost.  

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I had the TV synced to KMOX and even Rammer commented more than once that we got away with a foul. 

If the refs called every touch foul, the game would not yet be over here at noon on Wednesday.

Personally I could care less if the refs have to put extra time in   I want EVERY foul called.  Foul everyone out.  If the refs start calling the games like that, eventually the teams will get it and quit fouling.  

Basketball should be a beautiful non contact sport.  Not indoor rugby

Just now, billiken_roy said:

Personally I could care less if the refs have to put extra time in   I want EVERY foul called.  Foul everyone out.  If the refs start calling the games like that, eventually the teams will get it and quit fouling.  

Basketball should be a beautiful non contact sport.  Not indoor rugby

Howard Johnson is RIGHT! (especially since Has and Goodwin have graduated)

Was last night's game a preview of Ford's 8 +2 rotation?

Linssen, Hargrove, Collins, Jimerson and Nesbitt plus Jones, Thatch and Okoro played the heavy minutes. (There's 8).

Williams got in a cameo 7, and then Traore, Strickland and Lorentsson all in after it was over. (And 1 plus whatever).