Mem over The Bills by 7

The Wiz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Folks, this is a road game against a team with two lottery picks. I believe in Ford outcoaching Penny and Yuri being our floor general, but it's the first real road game for a lot of these guys and Memphis is crazy athletic. Our most talented player is also going to try to prove something to the opposition, and that doesn't always turn out great.

I can't wait to watch the game. If it's close with less than 10 minutes left, I consider it a win. If the final margin ends up being 20, but the game felt closer, a win. Or maybe Memphis is up 22 with 8 minutes left and we cut it to 8. 

Lots need to go right to win. Things I'm concerned about

• Jimerson missing a couple of open shots and getting exploited on D
  • Linssen picking up two fouls in first four minutes
  • Nesbitt picking up charges
  • lack of size getting exposed
  • trying to play bully ball against a more athletic team

On the other hand, a single-digit loss means this team is probably top 4 in the A-10. 

I knew it, you are an optimist that only sees the brightest things.

12 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Williams could be valuable tomorrow night… this will be our toughest test and we need guys who aren’t gonna be afraid. Williams showed last year with Oakland he isn’t afraid to fire it up, and get some buckets against bigger teams

Will be surprised to see him play more than a few minutes.  Seems he is at about 9 or 10 on the depth chart.

56 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Get hot shooting the ball, don’t turn the ball over, stay out of foul trouble, don’t give up second and third shots on D.

If the Bills can do these 4 things they win. 

In their 2 games...offensive rebounding has not been a strength for Memphis. Fwiw...Memphis is - 10 in offensive rebounds  for and against. Keeping them off the line will be key...73 fta in 2 games.

dennis_w likes this

I love Coach Ford & I think he can deliver a win if things go right.  This is sort of a "duh" comment, but this is the type of game I'd feel a lot more confident with Majerus coaching.  We don't have a talent / athleticism advantage, but a young Memphis team & Penny seem ripe to be outcoached.  For an example, our 2012 win vs Memphis in the NCAAs.  That Memphis team had 4 guys who would go on to play in the NBA and 2 other guys who were top 40 recruits out of HS.  Meanwhile 2012 SLU had no NBA players and no top 100 recruits.

AGB91 likes this

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Right now it is a 2 horse race in the A10 with The Bills and St. B even on a neutral court.

Based upon very limited sample size against not very good teams.  Let's wait until there's more date to use before we declare the A-10 a 2 horse race.

34 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

We don't have a talent / athleticism advantage, but a young Memphis team & Penny seem ripe to be outcoached. 

I watched maybe half of the Memphis game. At each Time Out Rasheed Wallace would take Duren off the the side and talk to him.  I imagine Larry Brown isn’t just sitting on the bench either. 

40 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Based upon very limited sample size against not very good teams.  Let's wait until there's more date to use before we declare the A-10 a 2 horse race.

bingo.  I too think its to early to say St bonnies is good enough to challenge us and make it a 2 man race. 

Billikenbooster and A10Ref like this

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I watched maybe half of the Memphis game. At each Time Out Rasheed Wallace would take Duren off the the side and talk to him.  I imagine Larry Brown isn’t just sitting on the bench either. 

Rasheed Wallace’s advice: “You had an opportunity to go for the technical foul there, why didn’t you do it?”

We've seen Nesbitt playing with a ton of emotion against Central Arkansas, Harris Stowe, and Eastern Illinois.  The dude is going to be super amped up playing against Memphis since it is a bigger name & more importantly he transferred from there under dubious circumstances.  Add on top of that this will be Nesbitt's 1st road game.  I feel like 1 of 2 things maybe both will happen:

1. Nesbitt absolutely goes off scoring
  2. Nesbitt get's T up at some point during the game for trash talking
Littlebill likes this

22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

We've seen Nesbitt playing with a ton of emotion against Central Arkansas, Harris Stowe, and Eastern Illinois.  The dude is going to be super amped up playing against Memphis since it is a bigger name & more importantly he transferred from there under dubious circumstances.  Add on top of that this will be Nesbitt's 1st road game.  I feel like 1 of 2 things maybe both will happen:

would love both

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I love Coach Ford & I think he can deliver a win if things go right.  This is sort of a "duh" comment, but this is the type of game I'd feel a lot more confident with Majerus coaching.  We don't have a talent / athleticism advantage, but a young Memphis team & Penny seem ripe to be outcoached.  For an example, our 2012 win vs Memphis in the NCAAs.  That Memphis team had 4 guys who would go on to play in the NBA and 2 other guys who were top 40 recruits out of HS.  Meanwhile 2012 SLU had no NBA players and no top 100 recruits.

That was one of my favorite college basketball days of all time. I was in Columbus for the SLU dub and the entire arena was amped watching Norfolk State enforce their will upon the worst 2 seed in recent memory.

Seeing Draymond play later that weekend was awesome, to this day the best college ball player I've ever seen.  

jonny karate likes this

2 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Seeing Draymond play later that weekend was awesome, to this day the best college ball player I've ever seen.  

I wish Ja Morant had more hype when he came to the Fetz to play. 

54 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I predict 13p/10r/4a/3b/2s/4f, one of the fouls being a technical for doing a sequence of the Shaq pelvic-thrust shove dunk followed by an AI stepover on Emoni Bates

Shaq Dunk GIF - Shaq Dunk Shove GIFs      Allen Iverson Ty Lue GIF - Allen Iverson Ty Lue Stepover GIFs