Around the A10

brianstl

4 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Can we all agree that we never say, “this will be the best Billiken team of all time”

bonaventure is such poverty and was wayyyy overhyped 

It's about time a Bonaventure team underachieved.   They've always managed to defend at a high level despite their lack of depth but for whatever reason, this team can't manage it.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you examine Bonaventure’s schedule last year, they got a pretty good advantage there.  I’ll have to go look at it but I recall they got everyone at home and didn’t play a lot of contenders.  This can build confidence as it did last year.  I never thought they were good and we all know they are not deep.  To start them where they were preseason was the right thing to do.  However, folks know they are who they are and can be beat.  Right now, outside of Adaway, they have no scoring consistency. They are who I thought they were.

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I think if you examine Bonaventure’s schedule last year, they got a pretty good advantage there.  I’ll have to go look at it but I recall they got everyone at home and didn’t play a lot of contenders.  This can build confidence as it did last year.  I never thought they were good and we all know they are not deep.  To start them where they were preseason was the right thing to do.  However, folks know they are who they are and can be beat.  Right now, outside of Adaway, they have no scoring consistency. They are who I thought they were.

The Bonnies started off 6-0, giving up only 57 ppg.  The last three wins in that streak came over Boise St., Clemson and Marquette.  Then they inexplicably gave up 90 points to Northern Iowa in their very next game.  Their defense has been up and down ever since.  Strange team.

57 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mean, point still stands.  they didn’t suffer injury issues, and returned everyone. There’s no reason to be  .500 in a one bid league with this team’s potential 

Had to be Covid right? I know they had some fraud tendencies before the break, but is this even an above .500 team in the a10?

@3star_recruit--- Yes, I agree to your statement on the Bonnies beating Boise, Clemson and Marquette.  But my statement, which you quoted, was for last year's schedule.  Last year, the Bonnies played at Richmond; hosted St. Joes; went to Fordham; hosted Duquesne, VCU and Mason; went to Duquesne; hosted La Salle; went and lost at St. Louis and VCU; then played Davidson home and home; hosted Geedubya; then lost the closer at Dayton.  Of course, they then went on to win the tournament in Virginia.  I think that is a very advantageous schedule.  To me, there aren't a lot of really tough games in there.  And the tougher ones --- at St. Louis, @ VCU and @ Dayton they lost them all.  Then they went down first round of the NCAAs.

This year, their double opponent games are us, VCU, Duquesne, St. Joe's and Fordham.  Those last three are six guaranteed wins most times.  Conversely, we have Richmond, Dayton, the Bonnies, Umass and La Salle.

Given their track record of late, Schmidt should get us, VCU, Dayton, Mason and some other higher expectation team next year.  Davidson and Richmond lose everybody so don't give them those guys.

Play In Game for the Pillow Fight at Saint Joe's today.  Rhody's last chance for a Top 4 finish is on the line.  With 5 losses, they likely have to win out to finish with a bye.  Mason needs to win to stay relevant.  Haven't heard if Williams and DeLoach are back for VCU, but they should handle the Dukes at home with a second string lineup.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

PIG Play In Game at Saint Joe's today.  Rhody's last chance for a Top 4 finish is on the line.  With 5 losses, they likely have to win out to finish with a bye.  Mason needs to win to stay relevant.  Haven't heard if Williams and DeLoach are back for VCU, but they should handle the Dukes at home with a second string lineup.

These times are eastern standard times!!!

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Play In Game for the Pillow Fight at Saint Joe's today.  Rhody's last chance for a Top 4 finish is on the line.  With 5 losses, they likely have to win out to finish with a bye.  Mason needs to win to stay relevant.  Haven't heard if Williams and DeLoach are back for VCU, but they should handle the Dukes at home with a second string lineup.

All times listed are Eastern 

I have a request from the stats wizards. Could someone pull all of the A10 games this year and determine how often a team has a Foul disparity in a game. Who gets the worst call comparison in games? As of right now, we have three games where the calls went heavily against us: Dayton (7), Umass (7), and GMU (11). That is the reason those games ended the way they did. I do not think the Bills foul more than other teams, and certainly less than Dayton. So, are we getting unreasonably bad luck with refs in the A10?

If so, why? Is this still a hold over from the days of Bully Ball, and are the refs still calling games against us based on past precedent?

BuiltFordBills and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have a request from the stats wizards. Could someone pull all of the A10 games this year and determine how often a team has a Foul disparity in a game. Who gets the worst call comparison in games? As of right now, we have three games where the calls went heavily against us: Dayton (7), Umass (7), and GMU (11). That is the reason those games ended the way they did. I do not think the Bills foul more than other teams, and certainly less than Dayton. So, are we getting unreasonably bad luck with refs in the A10?

If so, why? Is this still a hold over from the days of Bully Ball, and are the refs still calling games against us based on past precedent?

I think you are on to something with your question - the only thing I would say is that in certain places the refs just seem to hold the visitors to a different standard.  I know there has been studies that show this is true just not in the A10 but all across the country.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think a difference of a couple of foul calls in a game is quite normal, however if the total fouls called against a team is much higher then there may be a problem. One other issue is that foul calls are not the only way in which the refs can cause a team to lose. They can make any number of other calls (walking, stepping beyond the line, etc) that are hard to see but will cause turnovers and disarray in a team's offense or defense. When you see abnormally large foul calls going one way in a game, there were probably other calls made against that team, not only fouls, that also may have made a difference in the outcome. This is my opinion, do not ask for videos of this stuff.

My entire life experience with college basketball the home team has always benefited from the officiating.  It is one of the reasons I do not like most of the refs.  If SLU fouls call it and the same for the other team the players will adjust.

I have heard Bob Ramsey say in the past that the visiting team is “getting  jobbed by the refs” that benefited SLU.  As a fan I hate that because it takes away the joy of a victory.

There are no more Ed Hightower’s in officiating any more or at least I never hear of a name of a ref that everyone agrees is good and the calls are fair.

Too many times a player is fouled makes the basket and the ref does not call the foul however if the shot is missed then the late whistle and fans get upset.

If it is a matter of pay to get another Hightower type of ref then for the integrity of the game pay for the best.

Old guy likes this

14 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Another request to the statistically gifted--What home court foul advantage was had, if any, for games without any fans?

I thought I reading somewhere that refs, psychologically, want to get cheered, not booed, so they give the calls to the home team on a toss up.  Without fans, there is no psychological benefit/detriment.  

And, I remember somewhere on this board that Linssen was noted to have a foul rate, before he stepped foot on campus.  Some people foul more than others.  

17 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

Another request to the statistically gifted--What home court foul advantage was had, if any, for games without any fans?

I thought I reading somewhere that refs, psychologically, want to get cheered, not booed, so they give the calls to the home team on a toss up.  Without fans, there is no psychological benefit/detriment.  

And, I remember somewhere on this board that Linssen was noted to have a foul rate, before he stepped foot on campus.  Some people foul more than others.  

True, Linssen fouled a ton as a freshman at Valpo.  He improved his rate significantly at Wilmington but it spiked once he moved up to the A10, to an alarming 8.0 fouls per 40 minutes.  It's improved this year but 6.9 per 40 minutes is still very high.  Franco's rate is 5.5 per 40 minutes, consistent with his rate at Oregon.

When you look at the tendencies for refs to favor the home team, it becomes almost impossible for Linssen to stay on the floor on the road.  A 4 foul game at home becomes an early disqualification on the road.

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When you look at the tendencies for refs to favor the home team, it becomes almost impossible for Linssen to stay on the floor on the road.  A 4 foul game at home becomes an early disqualification on the road.

I wonder how Ford goes about this. Does he wait late in the first half to put linssen in?  continue what he's done and see if Linssen can stay in...

A10 tonight ..... Mason (+7) at Richmond on ESPN+.  Mason was #2.  We beat them in a tough game.  They then went and chun ked one up at La Salle.  Without Oduro.  From 4 and 1 to 4 and 3.  Now on to a Richmond team playing very well at home.  4 and 4?    I think so.

linssen is a tough discuss.   i have grown to really like him.   he is a spark and great for the billikens imo.   however there is no denying he succeeds more on effort than athleticism.   he is a passionate player and is always giving it 100% and i think that leads to the fouls.   but if we ask him to back off, that will affect his effectiveness as well.   imo we just have to live with it and be happy we get the minutes we get from him even though we know it is going to lead to hm returning to the bench nearly every game.   

i'l take it.  him and okoro are one hell of a two headed monster imo.   their combined 40 minutes total is incredible production.   we've only had the one game where they both fouled out  and traore came in and did a formidable job when it happened in that 2 OT game. 

Old guy and rgbilliken like this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

linssen is a tough discuss.   i have grown to really like him.   he is a spark and great for the billikens imo.   however there is no denying he succeeds more on effort than athleticism.   he is a passionate player and is always giving it 100% and i think that leads to the fouls.   but if we ask him to back off, that will affect his effectiveness as well.   imo we just have to live with it and be happy we get the minutes we get from him even though we know it is going to lead to hm returning to the bench nearly every game.   

i'l take it.  him and okoro are one hell of a two headed monster imo.   their combined 40 minutes total is incredible production.   we've only had the one game where they both fouled out  and traore came in and did a formidable job when it happened in that 2 OT game. 

I was also take it.   Linssen's offensive efficiency is amazing.  But it's really hard to beat a good team on the road when one of your best offensive weapons has to sit on the bench the rest of the game after logging 15 minutes.  

linssen reminds me a lot of Cameron Krutwig at Loyola.  Krutwig's athleticism was not that great but he knew what to do with the ball and did it well.  Okoro is limited but powerful.  Linssen is limited but crafty.  Saturday his knowledge and savvy outplayed the vaunted athleticism of Holmes and Camara.

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Depends on what Okoro is doing foul wise

Sure, but I mean going into a game is the thought to wait as long as possible to put Linssen in, or just use him normally but risk not having him late in games.