Around the A10

brianstl

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Oh OMG - I cant believe Schmidt left Lofton in for such a non important game with a 10 pt lead with only 50 seconds left.  Obviously I am being tongue in cheek - shades of what some said about Ford and Perkins.  These things just happen.

I agree, makes sense he was in.. Just highlighting for context. Depth is important - I don't know who they'll tap to replace him for late game situations over the next game or so (if out)

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Covid still scares me and should every team. I heard today there are 39 NFL players sidelined by the plague. This thing can hit any team at any time. I don’t know how they avoid it. The vaccines limit the effects but they don’t eliminate getting it. Praying we paid our Covid dues last year. 

9 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

The Bonnies can still win the league and if they stay healthy they'll be favored to do so. But the early returns aren't great and w/o Lofton they could lose 3 of the next 5 and really hurt the A-10 by falling out of NET top 50. 

The Bonnies lost Jaylen Adams for six games and ended the season ranked in the top 40.  Assuming the Lofton injury is a similar deal, they've been here before.

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

The Bonnies lost Jaylen Adams for six games and ended the season ranked in the top 40.  Assuming the Lofton injury is a similar deal, they've been here before.

however lofton is/was a potential conference poy.   that's a tough replace for a point guard on a team with no depth.   at least with perkins we had a fairly deep roster to try to replace his loss.   

CBFan and Crewsorlose like this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

however lofton is/was a potential conference poy.   that's a tough replace for a point guard on a team with no depth.   at least with perkins we had a fairly deep roster to try to replace his loss.   

I just hope they’re smart and don’t rush him back from this injury. Given their depth, I could see lots of pressure to bring him back quickly. If so, this injury could easily nag throughout the year. 

More info/speculation from SBUnfurled.

And from the Olean Times Herald

Presumably, if Lofton is to miss one or more games, coach Mark Schmidt will move shooting guard Jaren Holmes to the point, where he’s played (and succeeded) in small stretches before, and elevate either Quadry Adams or Linton Brown to the starting lineup. Adams and Brown each recently missed one game (Northern Iowa and Coppin State, respectively) with non-COVID-related illnesses, but figure to be available for the Bulls. Schmidt could also employ a bigger starting five, with Jalen Adaway at the ‘3,’ and Osunniyi and Karim Coulibaly at the forwards.

18 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Yeah, it's Buffalo. Its a SUNY school and they have a campus in Amherst, NY

Amherst is a suburb of Buffalo where most of the non-health related academic programs are located. Most students go here. 

The Downtown campus has the Med School & So Campus has like Nursing, Dental, Pharmacy schools with Architecture and Urban Planning.

Official injury report-Dec 4...Listed dates after injury are the last reports on it ...St. B

Lofton....Questionable for Sat-Ankle 12/3...Lofton exited previous game with a left ankle injury...and it is uncertain whether he will play against Buff

Brown....Probable for Sat-undisclosed injury 12/3...He missed the previous contest with an unknown issue but is likely to  face Buff

Mellouk....Out indefinitely- undisclosed 11/27...He is idle due to an undisclosed injury and there is no timetable for his return

36 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Official injury report-Dec 4...Listed dates after injury are the last reports on it ...St. B

Lofton....Questionable for Sat-Ankle 12/3...Lofton exited previous game with a left ankle injury...and it is uncertain whether he will play against Buff

Brown....Probable for Sat-undisclosed injury 12/3...He missed the previous contest with an unknown issue but is likely to  face Buff

Both Brown and Adams have missed recent games with non-Covid illness.  The 'crud' is going around, seemingly, everywhere.

Lofton was diagnosed witha high ankle sprain.  Once that diagnosis came out, St. Bonaventure went dark.  Injury news became top secret.  Then out came the 'day-to-day' classification.  Message board talk says he is out likely three weeks (or three games) which would include Buffalo, Uconn and VaTech.  Jaren Holmes would have to move to PG and either Linton Brown or Quadry Adams get the start.  There is some minor talk about playing Osunniyi with Coulibaly but while both are big, both are offensively challenged.  Linton Brown was out with a non-COVID illness and should be back today.  Never heard of Mellouk until the Wiz above.  Sc hmidt says whoever gets the time has to use their practice time to take advantage of this opportunity.  Well ..... if past practice is any indication, no one has earned any playing time because they haven't played at all just yet.   Buffalo currently holds a two game win streak against the Bonnies and the Bonnies open as a 3.5 point favorite.  The Reilly Center i ssold out and the game is on at 4 (all times Eastern) and on NBC Sports Digital.

We are listed as a two point favorite against UAB.  The Joey's (+22.5) are at Villanove on Fox Sports at noon.  Umass (-5) hosts Harvard also at noon.  Rhodey is at Providence (-4.5) on CBSSN at 2.  La Salle (-13) hosts Holy Cross on at 2.  How bad can Holy Cross be????  Charlotte (-6) hosts Geedubya at 2.  Dayton (-17.5) continues its cupcake schedule hosting Northern Illinois at 2.  Davidson (-17.5) welcomes Bill & Mare at 3.  In a good one, a 6 and 1 Campbell squad goes into Siegel against VCU (-10) at 4.  Closing out th enight, Mason hosts Old Dominion (+6.5) at 7 and Duquesne (+7) goes to Marshall also at 7.

All games on ESPN+ unless noted.

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Ace Baldwin is back with VCU, played a few min tonight already.

loftin expected back next week 

That's great news for VCU and St. B.

I see that Ballwin played 19 minutes, scored 13 and had 6 steals.  Ward has a 'tweaked' ankle and sat out tonight. Brown-Jones, one of their rotation, was out, in concussion protocol.

Holmes has been an adequate backup PG for the Bonnies.  In his two games as PG, he has 17 assists and 3 turn overs.  I'll take that any day, every day.