Around the A10

brianstl

Athletes yes.  Scorers, no.  They have to play smothering defense to win,.   Even if Ace Baldwin is back come January, there is no one to pass to except an inconsistent Vince Williams.  

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Richmond gonna Richmond 

They are a huge pain in the ***, because they are still going to be a hard team when the conference games hit. Golden, Cayo, Burton, and Gilyard are still the same players. This is standard A10 chicanery. Remember how bad Bonaventure looks in most non-conference years, etc. Don’t trust them. We need to be prepared for a really tough fight with them in conference.

10 hours ago, A10Ref said:

I am not worried about Richmond. We’ve always matched up with them well. The team that worries me is VCU. They’ve had some bad home losses but can clearly play. 

Dayton will also be a problem.  We've seen this before where a team's most talented players are freshmen but they're not ready to lead early on.  Their more experienced players are really role players and fail in the leadership role.  Bad losses ensue.  The  Flyers will be a totally different team by January.

Flyers and Kansas (-15.5) on ESPN this afternoon.  Game time 1:30/12:30.

As a season ticket holder at Dayton has told me, Dayton searching for their alpha-dog-player.  Many believe it will be Camara until Holmes II is ready.  Elijah Weaver thinks it's him but I don't think so.  Malachi Smith, brother of Scoochie, is not bad at the point but only has a layup in his offensive arsenal and blows hot and cold on his assists from game to game.  Yesterday, good day, he had seven. 

Scout them on Kansas today and you tell me what you think.

5 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

We haven't lost to a Lipscomb, UMass Lowell, Wagner, chattenoga, or Austin peay either. We'll see what happens. These wins don't do much if they have terrible losses.

I believe all at home too. So those would be Q3 and Q4 losses which are killer. 

we’ll see the type of team we have over the next two weeks. Here is how I’m gauging the next 6: If we go 4-2, we’re a tournament team. If we go 3-3, bubble. Under that, NIT. All pretty great outcomes given we lost our best player/25% of our scoring. 

I called Dayton's final play ---- Malachi Smith will drive to his right and put up a layup for the win.  Kansas' McCormick played it correctly, was right there and made the clean block.  Problem was it went right to Amzil who drove left to right into the lane and threw up a prayer that hit the rim, bounced high up against the backboard, and then dropped through the hoop as the buzzer went off.  McCormick swats that Smith shot harder, into the second row, and Dayton would likely have been down and out on the game clock.  It was Amzil's only official field goal attempt of the game.  Unbelievable atmosphere; Kansas and Dayton do travel well.  Good game for tomorrow as Dayton will now play future SLU opponent Belmont, who beat Pitino and his Iona kids.

I've said all year that VCU is offensively challenged.  The only scorer they have is Vince Williams, who is inconsistent.  Yesterday he scored 9 while freshman Jayden Nunn went off for 21.  That happens.  But the rest of the VCU lineup is mediocre at best .... guys scoring 8 points and below.  Their recipe will be stifling defense and a prayer that a player or two (including Williams) is on that night.  Even when Ace Baldwin comes back, the supporting cast is the same and Ace has few options for distribution.

St. Joe's is St. Joe's.  Taylor Funk bombing threes and Jordan Hall thinking he's a great NBA point guard to be.  This Vandy transfer, Ejike Obinna (or Obinna Ejike I can't tell), has had decent game but is severely limited.  I see a poor man's Osunniyi on defense and a dunk clone only on offense.  Hall was again miserable from the floor last night ... 5 for 14 overall and 3 of 10 from three.  I watched until Duke/Gonzaga came on.  Bottom line is you gotta cover Funk who will never be found patrolling or lurking in the lane. 

Only one game of worth today ..,.. Northern Iowa at the Bonnies (-10.5) on ESPN+ at 2/1 pm.

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I called Dayton's final play ---- Malachi Smith will drive to his right and put up a layup for the win.  Kansas' McCormick played it correctly, was right there and made the clean block.  Problem was it went right to Amzil who drove left to right into the lane and threw up a prayer that hit the rim, bounced high up against the backboard, and then dropped through the hoop as the buzzer went off.  McCormick swats that Smith shot harder, into the second row, and Dayton would likely have been down and out on the game clock.  It was Amzil's only official field goal attempt of the game.  Unbelievable atmosphere; Kansas and Dayton do travel well.  Good game for tomorrow as Dayton will now play future SLU opponent Belmont, who beat Pitino and his Iona kids.

I've said all year that VCU is offensively challenged.  The only scorer they have is Vince Williams, who is inconsistent.  Yesterday he scored 9 while freshman Jayden Nunn went off for 21.  That happens.  But the rest of the VCU lineup is mediocre at best .... guys scoring 8 points and below.  Their recipe will be stifling defense and a prayer that a player or two (including Williams) is on that night.  Even when Ace Baldwin comes back, the supporting cast is the same and Ace has few options for distribution.

St. Joe's is St. Joe's.  Taylor Funk bombing threes and Jordan Hall thinking he's a great NBA point guard to be.  This Vandy transfer, Ejike Obinna (or Obinna Ejike I can't tell), has had decent game but is severely limited.  I see a poor man's Osunniyi on defense and a dunk clone only on offense.  Hall was again miserable from the floor last night ... 5 for 14 overall and 3 of 10 from three.  I watched until Duke/Gonzaga came on.  Bottom line is you gotta cover Funk who will never be found patrolling or lurking in the lane. 

Only one game of worth today ..,.. Northern Iowa at the Bonnies (-10.5) on ESPN+ at 2/1 pm.

Richmond v. Miss. St. and UMass v Rutgers would be nice games for the A10 to win.