Around the A10

brianstl

6 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-StB just won three games in three days playing their style, they blew out Marq in game 3 and were one for 10 from 3 in the first half when they could have put the game completely out of reach, 2-17 for the game btw, they might have to play 3 games in 3 days again in A10 tourney, that' s only other time, perhaps Schmidt will run his kids into the ground using his roster as he is but these are kids in the best condition of their lives and something tells me they'll be okay, so far they are not making 3's at even a decent rate so that might get them, we'll see

Bingo. If they aren't playing in a 40 minute game, they are practicing.  If they aren't practicing they are in the gym shooting around.  I chuckle when 40+ year old MBM's think these guys will wear down.  This is what they do.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Bingo. If they aren't playing in a 40 minute game, they are practicing.  If they aren't practicing they are in the gym shooting around.  I chuckle when 40+ year old MBM's think these guys will wear down.  This is what they do.

i've always said, a game is like a day off compared to a college practice.   in rickma's day when school wasnt in session he famously had 12 hour plus practices.   i was told that the school not in session practices leading up to the famous "lowest score in college basketball since the 3 pointer came into effect" was the result of exhaustion from the practices leading up to that game.

this kids are in the greatest shape of their lives, playing 25-40 minutes in a game is no big deal. 

FWIW....I think the bigger issue is not that they are tired from running or just exhaustion due to exertion.  It is the banging of the games.  The bumps, bruises, sprains, and aggregate soreness from the physical contact and beating without a full break to rest and recover.  Jett was still in great shape and had great energy at the end of the season, but the tailbone bruise certainly had an impact on his explosiveness.

RUBillsFan likes this

2 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

FWIW....I think the bigger issue is not that they are tired from running or just exhaustion due to exertion.  It is the banging of the games.  The bumps, bruises, sprains, and aggregate soreness from the physical contact and beating without a full break to rest and recover.  Jett was still in great shape and had great energy at the end of the season, but the tailbone bruise certainly had an impact on his explosiveness.

This. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i've always said, a game is like a day off compared to a college practice.   in rickma's day when school wasnt in session he famously had 12 hour plus practices.   i was told that the school not in session practices leading up to the famous "lowest score in college basketball since the 3 pointer came into effect" was the result of exhaustion from the practices leading up to that game.

this kids are in the greatest shape of their lives, playing 25-40 minutes in a game is no big deal. 

I think you’re discounting the nicked up factor and how that affects the player. In our 13-14 season our 5 guys got to a top 10 ranking prior to conf games. Then we started getting players nicked up. I think both Jett and Evans were playing with minor injuries. Consequently we fell in the rankings and went out in the second round. Yes, these guys are in exceptional shape, but little nicks and bruises can take their toll. And it’s rare any team goes thru a whole season without a player(s) getting banged up. I like what STB’s is doing but am skeptical they will go thru the entire season unscathed. 

2010andBeyond likes this

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

They got Saturday off. 3 games  in 4 days. I agree it doesn’t make much difference to 20 year old athletes, but I’ll still say the banged up factor will hit them at sometime over the season. 

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Why are we talking like and iron man rotation is new at St Bonaventure?  They do this every year.  Whatever they do to remain largely injury-free is working.

Agree completely, for me it’s just the margin is too incredibly small for comfort if I was a Bona fan. The Billikens have remained relatively injury free until this year with Perkins, yet we’re doing alright without a potential A10 POY. Even a lesser star for Bona falls, and I think their season unravels. No rest, strength training, etc. prepares the body for a potential fluke injury which happens every night across the country. Only thing that prepares a TEAM for that constant threat is depth. 

He's lucky he gets five kids that want to go to Olean to begin with.  It will be interesting ..... this will be the peak of Schmidt's time in Olean.  His kids are all listed as juniors.  Will they all come back for their fifth year?  Maybe brownindian can shed light on that.  I understand ASchmidt likes the Enchanted Mountains (I mean, who wouldn't) and has some kids moving through high school if not already out.  If he is apt to walk to greener pastures, is this the year?  Back-to-back A10 titles (possible) on a resume that has always done m ore with less.  Is that attractive to a Power 5 school?  He's a Boston College grad and I believe they had their vacancy last year.  Who knows.  Bonnie fans should enjoy the run right now.

Fatigue is a funny thing.  I'm not saying these kids are not in great shape, however the long grind could serve as a detriment in the long haul.  Osunniyi was 8 of 10 ..... one jumper and the rest dunks (4) and tip ins.  Time will tell.

Interesting matchup for Mason tonight. They’ve had a shocking start but then follow that up with a loss to James Madison. Washington isn’t good but they should have talent. I am looking forward to this one tonight.

So far Bona has been great, then SLU, Rhode Island, and Mason have been good. Rest of the conference needs to figure it out. 

@A10ref ---- the rest of the conference is what it is ..... crap. 

Dayton is too young as I see it and don't have an alpha-male type like Crutcher.  Toumani Camara appears to be it but they need someone to get him the ball.  Smith and Greer are freshmen and look more moved to getting their own shot than others.  Brea is a three point shooter like Jimerson, not a PG.  And Weaver is completely out of control -- he's super quick but can't seem to use thaty to his benefit.

VCU can't score.  They are 2 and 2 averaging 50.75 ppg.  They've lost ... AT HOME ... to Wagner and Chattanooga.  They got 8 total assist in their loss to Chattanooga with their leading assist man registering 2.  The injury to Baldwin was devastating to their offense and Tsohonis is NOT a PG.

Davidson is a 3.5 man team ... the .5 being Sam Mennega if he show sup on a given night.  The rest are Lee, Brajkovic and Michigan State transfer Foster Loyer.  McKillop is smart and will will them to a few wins they shoul dnot have and they'll be tough at home.  But it's the same team as last year minus Grady and Collins. 

Richmond has a blossoming Tyler Burton but Nick Sherrod is just not Nick Sherrod yet (if ever again).  The tewo blown ACLs have proven tough to come back from.   They really miss Blake Francis' ability to stop and pop.  

Umass, Duquesne, and Fordham all have brand new rosters.  St. Joes, La Salle and Geedubya are struggling to escape the feeling all three are bottom feeder programs.  Not just in the A10, but nationally.  

And this is the OOC part of the schedule.  This is when you have cupcakes come in and pad resumes.  We've noted who VCU has lost to.  Dayton has lost at home to Austin Peay, Umass-Lowell, and Lipscomb.  Other schools coming to A10 arenas and winning include Drexel, Monmouth, Hofstra, Weber State (twice), Umass0-Loweel (again), and Sacred Heart.  There are a lot of dregs in the conference right now but you know what, they'll all beat someone at or near the top before it's all over.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I think you’re discounting the nicked up factor and how that affects the player. In our 13-14 season our 5 guys got to a top 10 ranking prior to conf games. Then we started getting players nicked up. I think both Jett and Evans were playing with minor injuries. Consequently we fell in the rankings and went out in the second round. Yes, these guys are in exceptional shape, but little nicks and bruises can take their toll. And it’s rare any team goes thru a whole season without a player(s) getting banged up. I like what STB’s is doing but am skeptical they will go thru the entire season unscathed. 

what you think only injuries occur in games?   most of the injuries i have witnessed in my lifetime actually happen in practices.  

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

They got Saturday off. 3 games  in 4 days. I agree it doesn’t make much difference to 20 year old athletes, but I’ll still say the banged up factor will hit them at sometime over the season. 

If you watch Billiken practices, they can get pretty rough.  The big man drills particularly are ferocious.

Schmidt knows what he is doing.  I have not seen a Bonnie practice, so I have no idea how hard they go.

Just as a reference point, Goodwin averaged 34.3 minutes per game over his career.  I don't remember his wearing down.  Over 91 career games, Lofton is averaging 38.0 minutes per game.  I think he can handle this.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what you think only injuries occur in games?   most of the injuries i have witnessed in my lifetime actually happen in practices.  

I believe VCU's two major injuries occurred in practice.  Perkins was in an exhibition game, which was less stressful than a practice.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Does it matter where they happen? An injury is an injury regardless of where it happens. Hell, a player could twist his ankle coming out of the shower. He’s still hurt. 

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Do you see Bona losing more than 3 games in an 18 game conference schedule? Because they've had that type of run with less "dominant" teams then the current one.  They don't have to be 2019 Dayton to be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.  It's their conference record we're competing against for the title of top dog in the A-10.  The best conference record we've managed in the Travis Ford era is 12-6. 

We've got a lot more to prove than Bona does.  I'm not afraid to concede that.  I will also gladly talk trash to our resident Bona fan if we do overtake them.

Yes, they could absolutely lose 4 or 5 games on conference play. They could lose at Chaifetz, at Mason, lose to Rhodey, Davidson, Richmond, they could step on an A10 land mine just as easily as any other A10 favorite in any other year. We’re 5 games in. Sure, the rest of the league hasn’t looked great, but Bona didn’t exactly look great until last night. And let’s not pretend Marquette is Michigan. Sure, it’s nice to beat a Power 6 school, but they were still picked 11th in the Big East. Do I think the Bonnies are the easy betting favorites? Of course I do. I just don’t understand this inherent need to crown them A10 champs on November 21st. I don’t understand why that’s necessary.

A10Ref and Billiken Rich like this

taj79 & reinert310 as we well know once the Conference season starts it all starts anew. 

Yes, this is a season of five Seniors all due to Schmits forward thinking. And yes, all good things come to and end. Always rumors. Also the bench is very strong and with incoming Freshman and transfers the team will be as tough as this years team.

Otterville doesn't have the problems like you Big City people do. As I understand it when new recruits come in with there parents, the parents are the ones who want the small community and excellent education they will get at Bonas. No gang bangers, no people rioting and burning down business just plenty of good food and shelfs s tocked with toilet paper!

As for SLU we respect you and when your team comes to town are treated very well. And without a doubt THE most disliked team in the A 10. 

Cattaraugus County and the entire Southern Tier of Western New York is going through a nasty bout of Covid. Just hope that students and fans will be allowed to attend the games.

Stay safe - mask up glove up keep your distance.

16 minutes ago, brownindians said:

taj79 & reinert310 as we well know once the Conference season starts it all starts anew. 

Yes, this is a season of five Seniors all due to Schmits forward thinking. And yes, all good things come to and end. Always rumors. Also the bench is very strong and with incoming Freshman and transfers the team will be as tough as this years team.

Otterville doesn't have the problems like you Big City people do. As I understand it when new recruits come in with there parents, the parents are the ones who want the small community and excellent education they will get at Bonas. No gang bangers, no people rioting and burning down business just plenty of good food and shelfs s tocked with toilet paper!

As for SLU we respect you and when your team comes to town are treated very well. And without a doubt THE most disliked team in the A 10. 

Cattaraugus County and the entire Southern Tier of Western New York is going through a nasty bout of Covid. Just hope that students and fans will be allowed to attend the games.

Always appreciate your posts @brownindians! Stay Safe! 

1 hour ago, brownindians said:

Brownindians, I hope we play you when you are at full strength, not after coming through team Covid. Playing you guys after Covid would just not be a fair reflection of what you people can do.

@ brownindians ----- I'm not going to go into the stereoty[pical stuff however I'd appreciate if you could answer the original question I posed ----- what is the feeling on your five returnign even for next year?  Verbal Commits has them all listed as juniors and trying to figure out who is what in COVID terms drives me crazy.  What is the feeling in Olean?