Around the A10

brianstl

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so.  I'll give Lofton the edge over Collins given his better offense.  Jimerson and Welch at a minimum zero each other out.  I'm leaning pro Jimerson because he is more than a spot up shooter and I'm leaning towards Welch for his defense and rebounding.  Holmes barely beats Nesbitt given he's a senior and Nesbitt's a freshman.  Adaway and Hargrove could Z each other out as well but Adaway is the glue for the Bonnies.  Offensively, Linssen easily distance Osunniyi but Osun catchs up on the defensive end.  Which takes us to the bench.  I'd take ours over theirs any day.  Okoro, Thatch, Jones, Traore and Strickland are actually living breathing bodies.  The Bonnies don;t have any.  Yet.

The Bonnies can be  had on the court with foul trouble, and on the bench with any kind of injury.  They lose any guy to a Perkins-like injury, and they could be meat.

Reinert310 likes this

8 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Bonnies are heads and shoulders better than everyone in the A10.

I just disagree. They looked good in the 1st half tonight, but they’ve been FAR from dominant to start the season and eeked out a couple wins they probably shouldn’t have. We can ABSOLUTELY play with and beat this Bonnies team. They still only play 6 guys and are mediocre at best from deep. Don’t get me wrong, the Bonnies are a very good team. They deserve to be the favorites to win the A10 this year. But they ARE NOT the Dayton team from a couple years ago with Obi and Crutcher. They’re just not.

BuiltFordBills likes this

7 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Maybe from a talent standpoint we are close but their experience puts them over the top 

Eh, I think is experience is overrated. Bona isn’t going to show us anything we haven’t seen before. Is Yuri going to buckle because he’s a sophomore compared Lofton being a senior? I don’t think so. If there’s an edge, it’s that I think Schmidt might be the best coach in the A10.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

We beat the Bonnies at Chaifetz last year.

And that was post Covid pause. The A10 tournament was right around the time Coach Stuen started getting really sick. I’m willing to completely excuse what happened in March last year. It was a tragic year off the court even more than it was disappointing on the court.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I just disagree. They looked good in the 1st half tonight, but they’ve been FAR from dominant to start the season and eeked out a couple wins they probably shouldn’t have. We can ABSOLUTELY play with and beat this Bonnies team. They still only play 6 guys and are mediocre at best from deep. Don’t get me wrong, the Bonnies are a very good team. They deserve to be the favorites to win the A10 this year. But they ARE NOT the Dayton team from a couple years ago with Obi and Crutcher. They’re just not.

The fact that Ford is already locking down the defensive philosophy and intensity is a good sign. The key to playing in the A10, Bonnie’s or no, is to bring a tight defensive game. We got derailed on that side by COVID last year, and it looks like our schedule won’t allow us to avoid a defensive focus this year.

I am not saying that we will win in Olean, but at home and in a tournament, I dare to dream.

2 minutes ago, Brighton said:

With Perkins, yes, they might've.

We’ll see in a week! Boise coulda beaten Bona in a pseudo away game in Charleston. I’d have to expect the Wiz and everyone to give a massive home court advantage in Boise. Having faith is more fun than not. 

39 minutes ago, Brighton said:

With Perkins, yes, they might've.

We’re 5 games in. I realize that it’s your schtick is to only ever post negativity, but nobody can say anything for certain about this team. We’ve blown out 4 teams and gotten blown out by a top-10 team that was BY FAR the best team we’re going to face all year. Nobody knows anything yet.

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

If Bills can play with Boise at Boise, dare I say win, Bills can play with Bona. These next few weeks are huge. 

Lots of ifs there. Let's see how we do with Boise first before talking about St. Bona. St. Bona's win against Marquette went significantly over the Vegas line.

From a non-conference perspective, I think we have some tough games against Boise State and Auburn. We will have to play great to win those games. For the other games, I believe we should be considered favorites (note, I haven’t seen UAB, buffalo or SFA). Once conference hits, it will be tough. We could finish anywhere from 2-6 depending on how things bounce. I will split the decision and say we finish 3rd.

12 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Do you see Bona losing more than 3 games in an 18 game conference schedule? Because they've had that type of run with less "dominant" teams then the current one.  They don't have to be 2019 Dayton to be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.  It's their conference record we're competing against for the title of top dog in the A-10.  The best conference record we've managed in the Travis Ford era is 12-6. 

We've got a lot more to prove than Bona does.  I'm not afraid to concede that.  I will also gladly talk trash to our resident Bona fan if we do overtake them.

Bizziken and HoosierPal like this

-StB just won three games in three days playing their style, they blew out Marq in game 3 and were one for 10 from 3 in the first half when they could have put the game completely out of reach, 2-17 for the game btw, they might have to play 3 games in 3 days again in A10 tourney, that' s only other time, perhaps Schmidt will run his kids into the ground using his roster as he is but these are kids in the best condition of their lives and something tells me they'll be okay, so far they are not making 3's at even a decent rate so that might get them, we'll see