Around the A10

brianstl

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty amazing how horrendous the A10 has been… also amazing how poorly everyone has done and A10 talk has given the bills zero coverage. Multiple teams lost yesterday and no post about the 40 pt victory. There’s probably another thread about A10 talk, but they deliberately ignore the bills.

Only gripe about them because they’re the biggest A10 page - would love some more love. 

39 minutes ago, Compton said:

What a day (by margin of loss): 

UCSD 75 - GW 55 

Wagner 58 - VCU 44

Hofstra 73 - Duquesne 63

San Francisco 65 - Davidson 60

UMass-Lowell 59 - Dayton 58

OMG, that’s bad. 😳 Calling it now, it’s the Bills and Bonnies for the auto bid and the Bonnies are going down!!

I saw USF beat Davidson 65-60. Davidson is the same system, players just change. USF West Coast fans bemoaned the slow down Davidson half court game. SLU should beat Davidson, except the road game could be an issue. 

Davidson’s guards were less than impressive. USF’s 2 smallish quick guards ran by Davidson’s guards.

Speed Davidson up, get physical as allowed by the refs. Davidson is soft. The bigs have beefed up somewhat, however. 

With Perkins SLU had chance of running the table in the A10 in my opinion.

Without Perkins they still have a chance to finish first.

Why, the floor general Collins, sharp shooter Jimerson, and just enough bigs to get the job done, a dynamic freshman Nesbitt and a bench that will play quality minutes that will wear teams down in the A10.

Foul trouble with the bigs is a concern especially because of match up problems Okoro will have to be on the floor with Linssen.

You know how coaches are always complaining about not putting together two good halves of basketball?  Due to circumstances beyond his control, Coach Ford's teams have yet to put together two good halves of a season.  I love our start but I'm not going to gloat until we do that.  Us starting fast and our A10 peers disappointing early on is nothing new.

VeniceMenace and Bizziken like this

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

You know how coaches are always complaining about not putting together two good halves of basketball?  Due to circumstances beyond his control, Coach Ford's teams have yet to put together two good halves of a season.  I love our start but I'm not going to gloat until we do that.  Us starting fast and our A10 peers disappointing early on is nothing new.

Exactly and we can't put much stock in the results based on the level of competition.   SLU dominated inside but we won't be able to do that against most other teams.  We always seem to think we finally got the shooters but we only shot 20% vs EIU.  I'm hopeful Williams steps up but last game he was a non-factor.  The results they've achieved point to being a good season, we'll get a good measuring stick vs Memphis. 

Bizziken likes this

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

With Perkins SLU had chance of running the table in the A10 in my opinion.

Without Perkins they still have a chance to finish first.

Why, the floor general Collins, sharp shooter Jimerson, and just enough bigs to get the job done, a dynamic freshman Nesbitt and a bench that will play quality minutes that will wear teams down in the A10.

Foul trouble with the bigs is a concern especially because of match up problems Okoro will have to be on the floor with Linssen.

I think on the long run and with the level of talent we have this year in the team, we may be better off by playing using a "committee" approach as Ford calls it than we would have been centering the team strategy on Perkins. I am not putting Perkins down, he is a great athlete, but a dozen talented players playing their parts and improving constantly is something else.

unclecarl likes this

Bonnie’s escape with 9 point win.  Osunniyi tweaked his back in the first half and played only 13 minutes, all in the first half.  Coulibaly and Durosinmi picked up the slack in the second half with 7 points (all from Coulibaly).  Bonnie's next game is future Billiken opponent Boise State at a tourney in Charleston.