Other College Basketball Games 2021-22

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, lquarles said:

You should probably read the Around the A10 thread. 

Nope. I don’t go there, nor do I care to. I didn’t need to go there to hear you talk smack about how good VCU is, I would’ve thought you’d at least have had the balls to come back and post about their ass whipping. But like most trolls you didn’t. 

15 hours ago, dlarry said:

It could always be worse I guess.

This is why I tend to give Ford the benefit of the doubt.  If every coach was held to a standard based upon what they were supposed to do given the talent they have, coaches like Coach K, Calipari, Izzo, and Self would be viewed as terrible coaches.  They have Final Four or at least Elite 8 talent every year, yet they make the Final Four somewhat rarely.

Bill Self - Out in the Round of 32 or worse in 4 of the last 7 tournaments

Coach K - Out in the Round of 32 or worse in 4 of the last 8 tournaments

Tom Izzo - Out in the Round of 32 or worse in 3 of the last 5 tournaments

Calapari - Out in Round of 32 or worse in 3 of the last 8 tournaments

If you just looked at the talent they have, you wouldn't think they were all that great given their failures, but they are viewed as some of the best coaches around.  Why?  Not because they are amazing X's and O's coaches that get more out of their players than was expected when the players came in with four and five stars behind their name.  They are viewed as top coaches, because they bring in top talent that gives their programs a chance at greatness.  Sometimes their teams produce.  Sometimes they don't.  Yet, their fanbases love them, because these coaches put them in the mix.

I think you should always prefer having a coach that can recruit and bring in talent and then see what happens over a great X's and O's guy (which I'm not sure definitely exists any more) who cannot recruit.  Seeing the way that Majerus did his thing and was successful, may have warped us on this whole idea.

billiken_roy likes this

Exactly. As much as we like to complain and judge Ford for what he does and doesn't do. Being successful at this level (really any level) isn't easy no matter what roster you are putting out. Sports are tough and only one team can win. As much as we would like to see SLU go 14-4 in conference every year it's just not a reasonable expectation. Especially given the breaks we have had the last few years. Unless you have great teams like us in 2011 or Dayton few years ago it's just reality that loses are going to happen. Every team wants to win just as much as the bills.

Not saying criticism isn't allowed but just be reasonable (Trolls not included). Enjoy the games, support the kids who are out there giving everything they got, and root for a bills W. 

cgeldmacher and drkelsey55 like this

Murray State HC Matt McMahon, is one to keep an eye on.  He's done really well there and is probably a candidate for bigger jobs.   

Don't agree with cdgeldmacher on his coach comparisons and Ford.  Ford has 1 NCAA win all time, those guys while maybe not in Final 4 every year,  mostly preform.   I think Self has been in at least Sweet 16 13 of 18 seasons at KU.  The tournament can be fickle, in that it's single elimination but good coaches will win games relative to their talent more than not.

we dont have the best track record on starting over with a new coach.   imo no matter how bad ford might be at game coaching, practice coaching and/or player development, he gives us the players where it seems like we got a chance to have a nice season.    considering the prospect of the next coach turning into crewsplatt 2.0 i'll deal with ford frustration.  at this time, coach ford is my coach.  

Old guy and drkelsey55 like this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

we dont have the best track record on starting over with a new coach.   imo no matter how bad ford might be at game coaching, practice coaching and/or player development, he gives us the players where it seems like we got a chance to have a nice season.    considering the prospect of the next coach turning into crewsplatt 2.0 i'll deal with ford frustration.  at this time, coach ford is my coach.  

He's got another season.  No results he's gotta go.  I'll take Romar back and he brings Porter.

A10Ref likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is why I tend to give Ford the benefit of the doubt.  If every coach was held to a standard based upon what they were supposed to do given the talent they have, coaches like Coach K, Calipari, Izzo, and Self would be viewed as terrible coaches.  They have Final Four or at least Elite 8 talent every year, yet they make the Final Four somewhat rarely.

Bill Self - Out in the Round of 32 or worse in 4 of the last 7 tournaments

Coach K - Out in the Round of 32 or worse in 4 of the last 8 tournaments

Tom Izzo - Out in the Round of 32 or worse in 3 of the last 5 tournaments

Calapari - Out in Round of 32 or worse in 3 of the last 8 tournaments

If you just looked at the talent they have, you wouldn't think they were all that great given their failures, but they are viewed as some of the best coaches around.  Why?  Not because they are amazing X's and O's coaches that get more out of their players than was expected when the players came in with four and five stars behind their name.  They are viewed as top coaches, because they bring in top talent that gives their programs a chance at greatness.  Sometimes their teams produce.  Sometimes they don't.  Yet, their fanbases love them, because these coaches put them in the mix.

I think you should always prefer having a coach that can recruit and bring in talent and then see what happens over a great X's and O's guy (which I'm not sure definitely exists any more) who cannot recruit.  Seeing the way that Majerus did his thing and was successful, may have warped us on this whole idea.

I agree. Also, Majerus (or a guy like Mckillop) was a great coach, but he did not build a recruiting pipeline to anything. The solidity of the program was based entirely on his ability to coach up the players he had. He did the same thing at Utah, and after he left the program fell apart. At least with Ford, he has established a strong pipeline to local talent. In the future, that could be worth more than anything our previous coaches have accomplished. All St. Louis kids are looking at SLU, Mizzou, and Illinois in the same light. Whether Ford finds success or not, the program is poised to take a major leap forward. That isn’t something that the average fan can appreciate, but I hope this board can. I get the impression that Chris May sees it.

I am still ticked about the game last night, and I hope it lights a fire under these guys.

3 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I agree. Also, Majerus (or a guy like Mckillop) was a great coach, but he did not build a recruiting pipeline to anything. The solidity of the program was based entirely on his ability to coach up the players he had. He did the same thing at Utah, and after he left the program fell apart. At least with Ford, he has established a strong pipeline to local talent. In the future, that could be worth more than anything our previous coaches have accomplished. All St. Louis kids are looking at SLU, Mizzou, and Illinois in the same light. Whether Ford finds success or not, the program is poised to take a major leap forward. That isn’t something that the average fan can appreciate, but I hope this board can. I get the impression that Chris May sees it.

I am still ticked about the game last night, and I hope it lights a fire under these guys.

So you think if the SLU coaching staff changed the relationships built by the previous staff stay and help recruiting?  Or is this scenario only if a coach is promoted from within?

I can see the latter being realistic. 

It's all speculation anyway.  What good is any of it, if you don't win any NCAA games ever?