Other College Basketball Games 2021-22

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Turgeon is out at Maryland.

-wow, I read their take on CBSSports and he got a contract extension in April, I hope Maryland had to pay a bunch, the article must have been written by Danny Manning's kin as it says he "proved to be a good talent developer with the Deamon Deacons even if the results didn't follow". He was 78-111. He is the interim. Of course Schmidt listed as possible replacement.

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-wow, I read their take on CBSSports and he got a contract extension in April, I hope Maryland had to pay a bunch, the article must have been written by Danny Manning's kin as it says he "proved to be a good talent developer with the Deamon Deacons even if the results didn't follow". He was 78-111. He is the interim. Of course Schmidt listed as possible replacement.

Slight correction “Demon Deacons.”

A past and a future SLU opponent were in action tonight:

Boston College throttled Notre Dame 73-57 at home.  That BC game won’t be a cupcake.

Boise State tried to blow another one at the FT line shooting 50% on 16 attempts, but beat Tulsa 63-58 at home.  Tulsa missed a ton of 3s down the stretch to take the lead or tie.

8 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

As I said in my thread (and most disagreed). Memphis isn’t that good. 3 losses in a row now. Ole Miss isn’t a world beater

I can't believe how bad a coach Penny is.  He has 3 NBA players and installed some catholic school motion offense for the future NBA players to learn with one day's notice.  Memphis looks like they are playing careful for the first 35 minutes of the game...loses and still turns the ball over 20 times.  Memphis shoots 20% from 3.  Penny needs to just stop practicing and roll the ball out for games and just let them play like its an open gym.  

I of course fell for the trap line of Memphis -1.  So there is some gambler's saltiness in the above rant.

1 minute ago, SLU_Nick said:

I can't believe how bad a coach Penny is.  He has 3 NBA players and installed some catholic school motion offense for the future NBA players to learn with one day's notice.  Memphis looks like they are playing careful for the first 35 minutes of the game...loses and still turns the ball over 20 times.  Memphis shoots 20% from 3.  Penny needs to just stop practicing and roll the ball out for games and just let them play like its an open gym.  

I of course fell for the trap line of Memphis -1.  So there is some gambler's saltiness in the above rant.

Penny, what can Brown do for u? may come  in  play in Fedex land

21 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Memphis looked clueless and uncoachable. Penny is in over his head. Makes you wonder why TF couldn’t figure this out.

We've had a similar issue with falling apart on the road in the Coach Ford era.  Boise State, hopefully, is a big step in resolving that issue. 

So we know from experience the winning a road game is hard.  But If Penny can't win a road game against an NIT caliber team with all this talent, maybe we should just give him the Pat Kennedy Underachiever award right now.  He should be able to roll out Aaron Hines at the point and beat Georgia or Ole Miss on the road with all that talent.

22 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Memphis looked clueless and uncoachable. Penny is in over his head. Makes you wonder why TF couldn’t figure this out.

In fairness, TF took what Memphis gave us, a direct line to the basket. The Memphis players weren’t even able to attempt to block a lot of the missed layups. Some things are not really the coaches fault. I can’t fault our strategy. Maybe we should have played a slow game and it could have exposed Memphis more. Hindsight’s 20/20.

And Illinois wins 87-83 over Iowa. Coach Underwood did indeed change strategy and they fed the big man, Kofi Cockburn, who finished with 17 points and a career high 18 boards.

Iowa won the TO battle 18-4. So how did the Hawkeyes lose this game? They were outrebounded 52-23 including 19-9 on the offensive boards. We know how that can kill you.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

In the head scratcher of the year, 6-1 Florida is being blown out at home by 0-7 Texas Southern with 9 minutes left.

Yep, Texas Southern beat UF by 15 at UF. Hoops HC better watch it as the Gators already fired their football HC for losing games they had marked as sure wins.

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

@USF-CA 71 Fresno State 63. USF is 10-0, its best start in 45 years, since the Glory Days. USF's NET was 29 before today's play; 29 NET = NCAA. USF has a good young coach, who stays cool and doesn't yank. Fresno State is 7-2, has a very good 7'0" Center from Las Vegas.

Only 9 unbeaten teams left. Love that USF is one of them. No big-time wins, but solid ones - Davidson, Nevada, UNLV, UAB.

The WCC looks excellent this season. Gonzaga, BYU, Saint Mary's, and the unbeaten USF are all looking like Tournament-level teams so far, the next few (Portland, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount) are all 7-3 or 6-3, and there are only two teams with losing records (Romar's Pepperdine is one). I have to think Gonzaga's status as a blueblood is lifting this league.