GDT: Eastern Illinois

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Preface: this game should be a blow out.

Jermaine Hamlin 6'10' 235 lbs blocked 5 shots against Northwestern.  It was just one game & he didn't do anything his 2 years at Illinois before transferring to EIU.  He's does seem like kind of guy it seems like would cause us problems sometimes in the past.  I'm thinking of guys like Cletrell Pope from Bethune Cookman a few years ago as bad team example where we still win by not my as much as we should or Osun from the Bonnies as a good team example.  I wouldn't be at all upset if we get Hamlin in early foul trouble.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Jermaine Hamlin 6'10' 235 lbs blocked 5 shots against Northwestern.  It was just one game & he didn't do anything his 2 years at Illinois before transferring to EIU.  He's does seem like kind of guy it seems like would cause us problems sometimes in the past.  I'm thinking of guys like Cletrell Pope from Bethune Cookman a few years ago as bad team example where we still win by not my as much as we should or Osun from the Bonnies as a good team example.  I wouldn't be at all upset if we get Hamlin in early foul trouble.

I'm thinking of Thicc Bol at SIUC, had 5 blocks in like 10 minutes when we played at SIUC in 2018. I sat a row off the court for that 5 point L fuock Carbondale  

RUBillsFan likes this

8 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'm thinking of Thicc Bol at SIUC, had 5 blocks in like 10 minutes when we played at SIUC in 2018. I sat a row off the court for that 5 point L fuock Carbondale  

Thik Bol.  What a name. 

Yeah exactly the type of guy I'm talking about.  In the past, decent rim protector + cold outside shooting = bad night. 

Running more will hopefully negate that because you can't block a shot if you get beat down the court.  EIU turned the ball over 19 times vs Northwestern.  Northwestern under Chris Collins hasn't historically been a team that forced a ton of TOs.

Defense -> Offense -> Blow out win.

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Thik Bol.  What a name. 

Yeah exactly the type of guy I'm talking about.  In the past, decent rim protector + cold outside shooting = bad night. 

Running more will hopefully negate that because you can't block a shot if you get beat down the court.  EIU turned the ball over 19 times vs Northwestern.  Northwestern under Chris Collins hasn't historically been a team that forced a ton of TOs.

Defense -> Offense -> Blow out win.

Keys to tonight's victory:

1) Score more points than the other team

billiken_roy and drkelsey55 like this

33 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Most of the issues come down to whether the big guy will get into foul trouble or not. Minnesota was an away game, and the Bonnie game was in the tournament (though Ossuni did a good job). In both cases, the refs were not calling the checks with the body. This is a home game and whistles will likely be blown.

3 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Most of the issues come down to whether the big guy will get into foul trouble or not. Minnesota was an away game, and the Bonnie game was in the tournament. In both cases, the refs were not calling the checks with the body. This is a home game and whistles will likely be blown.

Good call.

Again to be clear, we should win this game regardless of the # of blocks Hamlin has.  Despite his 5 blocks, Northwestern won by 24.  Just something to watch for and could be a factor in a win versus a total laugher.

Part of me actually hopes he avoids foul trouble because it will marginally better prepare us for Memphis who has ton of dudes with length.

Billiken Rich likes this

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Good call.

Again to be clear, we should win this game regardless of the # of blocks Hamlin has.  Despite his 5 blocks, Northwestern won by 24.  Just something to watch for and could be a factor in a win versus a total laugher.

Part of me actually hopes he avoids foul trouble because it will marginally better prepare us for Memphis who has ton of dudes with length.

I totally want him to get as much practice on us as possible. I've been disappointed in Okoro's shot blocking ability so far. It seems to me that he's playing with a bit of timidness, as if he is also afraid of himself being in foul trouble. He's too long and athletic to not get a hand on a ball more often, so playing against a guy that does might be just what the doctor ordered. 

And, as you said, playing against these cupcake front courts is not going to have us mentally or physically prepared for what Memphis is bringing for us on Tuesday. 

30 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Most of the issues come down to whether the big guy will get into foul trouble or not. Minnesota was an away game, and the Bonnie game was in the tournament (though Ossuni did a good job). In both cases, the refs were not calling the checks with the body. This is a home game and whistles will likely be blown against the billikens.

fixed your post

At least we won't be playing against 6'6" guys tonight.  As stated above, EIU starts Forwards Hamlin, 6'10" along with Alleruzzo at 6'9".  Their three starting guards are 6'2", 6'5" and 6'0".  While this game still should be an easy W, at least there will be some physical challenges.

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

SLU -21.0 and O/U 142. 

SLU covers 🔒, over hits 🔒. Free money. 

Think the over is too easy. We'll get 85 and sluggish defense in a blowout late will get EIU at least 57

3 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Dude, stop jinxing this team.

Do you have your skid stained gameday undies on? Did you burn your incense say your prayers and do your Billiken good luck dance? 

For the record I knocked on wood while clutching my pearls this morning so we're all good.  

You know Taj, I think we could have two quasi separate teams in action this season. One of them prepared to employ a full court press game with constant pressure on the opposition and stressing steals and fast breaks, sort of a Billiken style Havoc. The other playing more sedately as our standard team. I could see several players playing in either team as the situation required.  I think we have the goods and the talent to do this. I have not given up on Lorentssen yet, but I think he is just not aggressive enough for the current team.

I would also bring in Williams whenever the other team goes into a zone and park him outside to rain 3s on them. I think we will do well, and I hope we steam roll Central Illinois tonight, winning by 10+ pts over the Vegas line. i'd love to see that, and I would love it even more if Memphis did not go over the Vegas line tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Two games against inferior opponents does not erase my loss of Perkins concerns.  You're a better man than I in that case.  Good read.  Keep up the good work.

100 percent Taj it is concerning.

This team has depth like never before but all us will wonder after the completion of this season what could have been if Perkins played.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

100 percent Taj it is concerning.

This team has depth like never before but all us will wonder after the completion of this season what could have been if Perkins played.

I wouldn’t say it’s concerning, it’s just more of a mystery