SLU Records Review

HoosierPal

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated through the end of the regular season and A10 Tournament, and there are some marks at stake with a potential NIT run.

DeAndre Jones is shooting .385 from 3, which would be short of the senior top ten - John Duff is tenth with .401. His .875 from the FT line would be fourth for seniors and fifth all-time for a season, but he won't reach 50 attempts to make that list.

Francis Okoro is currently .588 from the field, which would be second on the junior FG% top ten. His .766 FT% is a bit shy of the .803 needed for junior FT%. He will be short of rebounding average but only needs 6 more rebounds to match Bill Morris (278) in tenth among juniors. He has 42 blocks, which has him tied in fourth with Kelvin Henderson on the junior list.

Marten Linssen has a FG% of .542, which would put him barely outside the junior list - Bill Paradoski is tenth at .544. His FT% of .766 would also be short of the junior list (H Waldman is tenth at .805). He has 18 blocked shots and would need 28 to tie for to tie Chris Heinrich in tenth.

Rashad Williams is 1.000 from the FT line on 2 attempts and needs 48 more to be in contention for the top ten.

Brandon Courtney is .750 from 3, which would be an all-time record if he can get 46 more attempts.

Fred Thatch is .471 from the field, which would fall short of the top ten for sophomores - Kevin Williams is tenth at .509. He has 37 steals and needs to reach 39 (Jordair Jett) to reach the sophomore top ten.

Yuri Collins now has 554 career assists and owns the all-time record. He also took the sophomore and all-class season records, now at 267 and counting. He has the freshman assist record (171) and his 116 in a shortened season last year ranks sixth among sophomores. His 19 assists vs. BC gave him the all-time single game record, passing Jim Roder's 18. He has 65 steals this season, one short of the sophomore record (Jordan Goodwin, 66) and sixth all-time. He has 134 career steals, now ninth all-time, bumping Lisch (133) to tenth and LaTodd Johnson and Jamall Walker (132) out of the top ten. His FT% of .815 would be tied for fourth with Andre Craig for sophomores. Collins has played 1,123 minutes this season and needs 25 more to tie Kwamain Mitchell, who is tenth all-time at 1,148.

Terrence Hargrove is shooting .348 from three, but would need to get to .366 (Josh Fisher) to make the top ten among sophomores.

Gibson Jimerson is averaging 16.2 PPG in his third freshman season, which would put him second behind only Larry Hughes (20.9) for freshman scoring average. He's also on pace to finish second behind Hughes (670) in total points, currently with 550. He's already second in freshman three-point field goal percentage at .429, which is also good for eighth on the all-class list, and his .419 clip this year would be fourth for freshmen. His 37 three-pointers last season tied him with Anthony Drejaj and Marcus Bartley for tenth among freshmen, bumped down by his 83 this season, which is the new freshman record. He is also in a 9-way tie for second most 3-pointers in a single game (7), right behind Tommie Liddell's 8, and joined SLU's 30-point scorer club with 31 vs. UMass. His .823 FT% would be third among freshmen. Jimerson has a career FT percentage of .826, which is fourth all-time. Jimerson is at 1,144 minutes on the season and needs 4 more to tie Kwamain Mitchell in tenth all-time.

Jordan Nesbitt is averaging 8.2 PPG, a little outside the freshman top ten (11.0 PPG, Kwamain Mitchell). He has 280 points and needs 321 to tie Lisch and Milik Yarbrough for ninth among freshmen. His rebounding numbers (4.3 RPG, 145 total) are also short of the pace he needs (5.6 RPG, 162) for the class top ten, as well. His .337 3P% is behind Scott Highmark's tenth place mark of .369. He has 28 steals and needs to hit 33 (Carlos McCauley) for 10th.

Lassina Traore has a FG% of .606, which would be third among freshmen and fifth overall if he reached 100 attempts. But he stands at 33, well off pace. His .750 FT% would be 8th for freshmen, but he's at 8 attempts and needs 50. He would also need to play a lot more to be in the mix for any rebounding marks.

Markhi Strickland is not in the mix for any freshman records.

Andre Lorentsson is .833 from the field and .667 from 3, which would both be records if he could get 44 and 47 more attempts, respectively.

Javonte Perkins is out for the season. After two seasons at SLU, he is tied for 10th all time in scoring average (15.9) with Bill Morris. He has 825 career points and will easily make it into the 1,000-point club if he returns next season. He is sixth all-time for scoring for two-year players. His .866 FT% last season is good for sixth all time in a season and fourth for seniors.

Compton and Young Charles like this

If Yuri gets 0 assists in the NIT he'll need 446 to be the 5th player ever with 1000 assists. Assuming 31 reg season and 1 conf tourney game plus he stays healthy he needs to average 7 assists per game. 

NCAA All time assists 1076 takes 8.2 for 64 games. 

If he stays healthy he'll probably have closer to 70 games left. Using 70 games 7.5 per game to be #1, 6.4 to be the 5th player to reach 1000. 

These numbers are assuming he has 0 assists in the NIT. 

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If Yuri gets 0 assists in the NIT he'll need 446 to be the 5th player ever with 1000 assists. Assuming 31 reg season and 1 conf tourney game plus he stays healthy he needs to average 7 assists per game. 

If he stays healthy he'll probably have closer to 70 games left. Using 70 games 7.5 per game to be #1, 6.4 to be the 5th player to reach 1000. 

This is such a trap for me, crunching these numbers and setting these expectations. It's crazy to think that he's justified this type of thinking, and could literally be the all time most accomplished passer in NCAA history. Not to say I'll be disappointed with anything less than the 1000 club, but...

45 minutes ago, Old guy said:

It is not reasonable to assume Yuri will have 0 assists in the NIT, even if we get eliminated in the first game (which is unlikely to happen).

Nobody disagrees with you, it was just for the sake of computations. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

once he gets to 600 we can watch him climb up this  chart

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/ast-player-career.html

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, Dr Bird said:

While I'd love to see Yuri get more assist records, I'd also like to see a more balanced, ball movement offense.  I don't really care who gets the assists, points, blocks or rebounds as long as we win.

I agree with this. I said this before but if Javonte comes back and/or one or more of the frosh, Nesbitt, or even Thatch become players that don't need Yuri to score, his assists could easily go down. This year we don't have a player besides Yuri ( Fred seems to be developing ) that can create their own shot. 

14 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I agree with this. I said this before but if Javonte comes back and/or one or more of the frosh, Nesbitt, or even Thatch become players that don't need Yuri to score, his assists could easily go down. This year we don't have a player besides Yuri ( Fred seems to be developing ) that can create their own shot. 

Javonte's apg last year would make him the 2nd leading assist man on the team.  If some of the ballhandling responsibility is offloaded to him, I can guarantee Yuri's assists will go down.  Especially since Javonte, as you pointed out, doesn't need Yuri to create shooting opportunities for him.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

you think dribbling around in a circle then driving into the lane and getting his shot blocked half the time is "creating his own shot?"   yuri needs to concentrate on being a great point guard making good passes without the turnovers.   leave the shots to someone else imo.  

MB73 likes this

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you think dribbling around in a circle then driving into the lane and getting his shot blocked half the time is "creating his own shot?"   yuri needs to concentrate on being a great point guard making good passes without the turnovers.   leave the shots to someone else imo.  

A bit of hyperbole is always good. Either you’re lacking in comprehension or basketball knowledge. 

Littlebill likes this

55 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

A bit of hyperbole is always good. Either you’re lacking in comprehension or basketball knowledge. 

take your pick.   I've been accused of both often.    

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

We all agreed earlier in the season that Yuri needed to show teams he can score to open up his passing lanes.  Yuri scoring doesn't detract from his passing abilities, it adds to them.

so you are ok with it as long as he scores 10 points to go along with his 7 assists?   well what if it took 30 drives into the forrest to get those 10 points and 7 assists.   and out of those 30 drives it also yielded 4 block shots, 4 passes that sailed into the third row or were stolen, a jump ball 4 off balance missed shots that never had a chance and 1 shot clock violation?   is that productive?

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so you are ok with it as long as he scores 10 points to go along with his 7 assists?   well what if it took 30 drives into the forrest to get those 10 points and 7 assists.   and out of those 30 drives it also yielded 4 block shots, 4 passes that sailed into the third row or were stolen, a jump ball 4 off balance missed shots that never had a chance and 1 shot clock violation?   is that productive?

Did you know Yuri is shooting 45% from the field this year? I'm starting to wonder if you've ever seen him play

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

Did you know Yuri is shooting 45% from the field this year? I'm starting to wonder if you've ever seen him play

ive seen him play and what he has turned into i dont care for much.    way too much hero ball and me play imo.   i liked the pure point guard better.   

Bizziken likes this

I think the thing that bothered me about Yuri were the times he's taking his time getting the ball up the court. Some of those were the end of a half or the end of the game. The worst in recent memory was the end of the game at Richmond. 

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I don’t think that is what happens.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

ive seen him play and what he has turned into i dont care for much.    way too much hero ball and me play imo.   i liked the pure point guard better.   

You don’t care for how a first team all A-10 player plays?

11 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

You are wild. I think today proved yuri was vital to the success we had this year. 

he was going to guard the whole team?   wow he is good.