The Memphis Game

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis played in a way that sucked the wind out of NC Cent. They beat them soundly in blocks and forced 26 TOs on NC, with good scoring after the TOs. They were supposed to win by 28.6 pts and won by 39 points. The Vegas line was 54.2 to 82.8. The actual final score was 51 to 90. Memphis won by 10 points over the Vegas line. If anything the odds makers underestimated Memphis for this game.

Obviously a team with 26 TOs is not going to do well in a game. Memphis had 13 blocks vs NC C 4. The other significant stats of this game shows that NC C had a very low % of FG made (26.2% vs 50.0% for Memphis, 3pt 12.0% vs 36.8% for Memphis). I think that Memphis defense just destroyed NC C.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Memphis played in a way that sucked the wind out of NC Cent. They beat them soundly in blocks and forced 23 TOs on NC, with good scoring after the TOs. They were supposed to win by 28.6 pts and won by 39 points. The Vegas line was 54.2 to 82.8. The actual final score was 51 to 90. Memphis won by 10 points over the Vegas line. If anything the odds makers underestimated Memphis for this game.

Obviously a team with 23 TOs is not going to do well in a game. Memphis had 13 blocks vs NC C 4. The other significant stats of this game shows that NC C had a very low % of FG made (26.2% vs 50.0% for Memphis, 3pt 12.0% vs 36.8% for Memphis). I think that Memphis defense just destroyed NC C.

In their 2 games Memphis has turned the ball over 36 times. We have a good chance if they can't protect the ball better than that against us.

I’m not going to quote all of the last 3 of the above posts, but they’re all good posts and lead into the way I feel about the Memphis game. We need to defend, and we need to defend without fouling. Memphis is extremely athletic and talented, but they’re also young. I think we could be able to turn them over. I also think we might be able to frustrate them since we will be BY FAR the best defense they’ve seen. We also have to take care of the ball. I’m not just talking about Yuri, who I trust immensely. We can’t have sloppy passes by anybody. We’ve gotta be strong with the ball. If we can accomplish those 2 things, I genuinely believe we will be in this game until the very end. We’ve obviously gotta make shots, but if our offense keeps humming (the cutting, the ball movement) like it has been the past 3 games, we’re going to get clean looks. We just can’t have empty possessions that lead to easy buckets for Memphis.

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

If it gets to a point where Traore is playing any stretches, we’re in trouble. You can be happy with where he is and also think that he’s not ready to guard guys like Duren. I hope I’m wrong but we will 

Duran won’t play 40. There may be times when we have traore in with their backups in. I think this is where we are ok. It’s not always our backups vs their best 

Bills By 40 likes this

Agreed that Traore is better suited against their backups but I don't mind him for short stretches with the sole instruction to draw fouls. We can afford that and our best chance is obviously getting Duran and Bates off the floor for any significant amount of time so ML, FO, and the gang can get their points in the paint.