The Memphis Game

Go Bills and I will be trekking over to Fedex next Tuesday evening. The whole lower bowl of the arena is sold out unless you go on Stubhub with astronomical priced seats, so we are in the 200 level.

If you planning on going remember to bring your vax card.

Seems like it has been ages since I seen the Bills in person (Auburn & Davidson 19/20 season), so looking forward to this. Anxious seeing Jordan Nesbitt take it to them.   

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Any idea of Memphis bars have a mask rule? I mean I guess I’ll find out, but just wondering 

I imagine it could go either way. It's a metropolitan area, but it's Tennessee. Hoping not

Even St. Louis bars don't have a mask mandate anymore so I think it's even more likely that they don't. 

Heard the pre-game party is at Silky O'Sullivan's, home of the sugar water booze bucket and conveniently located just one drunken stumble across S B.B. King Blvd from the Fed Ex Forum.  

I found this interesting. The game between SLU and Memphis will be the first time that both teams play against tough opposition this season. This will make it really interesting to watch. Prior to this game both SLU and Memphis will have played low ranked teams, this will be the first tough game of the season for both teams.

1 hour ago, Scoop said:

Everyone knows this.

True, but are they aware that in their first game of the season against TN Tech (TR ranking 293), Memphis did not reach the Vegas line. Memphis was expected to go 28.4 pts over TN Tech and missed this number by 4.4 pts. In contrast SLU's first game against Cent Ark (TR ranking 340) we beat them well over the Vegas line. We were expected to beat them by 21.5 pts and actually beat them by 35 pts. I know this is not statistically significant but, if repeated next Friday, this type of result may indicate strength not accounted for in our current ranking. Beating Memphis at this stage of the game may not be as difficult as anticipated.

Honestly, I think the Memphis game is house money. Playing a possible top 5-15 team on the road this early in the year. A loss, even by double digits, wouldn't concern me very much. I'm more nervous for games like Mercer, Boise State, Drake, etc. that will be more contested.

On the other hand if we win (which I think we could) I will be purchasing my final four tickets.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tennessee is wide open if Nashville is any indication. 

I recommend checking the local requirements in Memphis. Last year they had very strict requirements, including requiring the purchase of food to buy alcohol in a restaurant (some restaurants cleverly sold bags of chips). 

-from FedEx Forum

WHAT YOU NEED

1. Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination:*
    • Options:
      • CLEAR App Health Pass (fully vaccinated only)
      • OR Physical Vaccination Card (minimum 1 does of any vaccine)
      • OR Digital Photo of Vaccination Card (minimum 1 does of any vaccine - please present mobile phone / device)
  2. OR Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test:(within 72 hours of the event)
    • Options:
      • CLEAR App Health Pass (CLEAR Partner Test Sites ex. CVS)
      • OR Digital Photo of Negative Test Results (please present mobile phone / device)
      • OR Digital Email of Negative Test Results (please present mobile phone / device)
      • OR Printed Email of Negative Test Results

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tennessee is wide open if Nashville is any indication. 

I don't think it is, because aside from being in the same state Nashville and Memphis have about nothing in common. Polar opposites. Covid guidelines are less up to larger government bodies than they are local ones so they're likely doing their own things. 

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I recommend checking the local requirements in Memphis. Last year they had very strict requirements, including requiring the purchase of food to buy alcohol in a restaurant (some restaurants cleverly sold bags of chips). 

I think you have to download "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn and play it when you cross the border.  Damn good song but kind of a nit picky requirement

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

I think you have to download "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn and play it when you cross the border.  Damn good song but kind of a nit picky requirement

it is a fabulous song,  i still get goosebumps "Man I am Tonight".   

Thinking about this game my mind keeps moving to Traore as a key factor. 

If we can trust him to carry his weight for even a couple minutes in each half we will be able to play aggressive with our front court and guys driving to the hoop in hopes of drawing their foul trouble. What I've seen from him so far is enough to make me comfortable running him at the 5 for 2-3 minutes at a time once or twice a half when Okoro and Linssen get winded or find themselves with 2 a piece in the first (knock on wood). Even putting Markhi "Pogo Stick" Strickland in the game aside THj JN and Okoro with strict instructions to baptize everyone in their way could be a short-spell strategy. 

I have no concerns with our backcourt anymore and I think this will be the game where FTj proves some of our doubts wrong, his defense and physicality will be much needed. 

TL;DR - Our backcourt has proven it's capabilities, and the emergence of Traore as an immediate difference maker really helps settle some concerns about our front court which is where the obvious disadvantage was and is

When Corey Tate's said in an interview a month ago that Traore would play, I thought he was just being complimentary of a new commitment.  But given what Traore shown through exhibition season til now, Tate's assessment appears to be more than coachspeak.  How a 6'9 guy with good athleticism and a decent mid-range jumper was available in August is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Thinking about this game my mind keeps moving to Traore as a key factor. 

If we can trust him to carry his weight for even a couple minutes in each half we will be able to play aggressive with our front court and guys driving to the hoop in hopes of drawing their foul trouble. What I've seen from him so far is enough to make me comfortable running him at the 5 for 2-3 minutes at a time once or twice a half when Okoro and Linssen get winded or find themselves with 2 a piece in the first (knock on wood). Even putting Markhi "Pogo Stick" Strickland in the game aside THj JN and Okoro with strict instructions to baptize everyone in their way could be a short-spell strategy. 

Yes.  In two (meaningless) games, Okoro has 6 fouls in 32 minutes.  Linssen has been better, 2 fouls in 29 minutes.  Traore has 5 fouls in 27 minutes.  Yes, yes, yes, data points through two meaningless games but not a great trend.