GDT: Harris Stowe

Bills By 40

39 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Interesting season ahead. I was thinking that several of the commonly used strategies used by opposing teams to stop SLU, zone defense, and fouling Hassahn to stop our play, will not work this year against us. I will be interesting to see how they are going to manage to stop us this year.

Good post (out of reactions), and I’ve thought the same. It will be interesting to see what the big time coaches cook up in the nonconference, and especially what the A10 coaches do. A narrative gets disseminated, there is little time between games, and the A10 is a copycat league.

Lacking SLU’s depth and athleticism, and being systemic East Coast half court oriented, I think the opposition A10 coaches will still try to slow SLU down, get SLU into half court chess matches. But SLU has the snipers now to counter that strategy. 

CBFan likes this

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

I think the first big takeaway for me was that the 2 grad transfers, Jones and Williams, didn't even score that much but clearly have the skills. Either of these guys could go off for 20 any night they get hot.  

Second was obviously Nes.  This guy looks like he could fill the JGood role with better 3 point shooting. He is even rebounding some. 

Obviously the biggest hole is the 4/flex wing spot and Hargrove really should have had better numbers in these first few game. He may end up losing his job to Traore who to me looks like a find. I love Hargrove but he needs to do better.

Yuri might be one of the top floor generals in the country this year.

no chance traore will take hargrove's spot hargove will be just fine

I have liked Traore energy and body control underneath, but when he hit two 10-15 foot jumpers last night, that's when I said whoa we might have a diamond in the rough.  He will just be a minor contributor this year, but he could turn into something special a few seasons from now.

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

Gonna see a TON of backdoor cuts from Jimerson this year.  Defenders have to stay within a foot of him on defense with their back turned. 

Agreed, I said we needed to see more of that last year. Especially when he consistently gets overplayed defending the 3. Beat someone back door even once and it generally slows the close out. 

35 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I have liked Traore energy and body control underneath, but when he hit two 10-15 foot jumpers last night, that's when I said whoa we might have a diamond in the rough.  He will just be a minor contributor this year, but he could turn into something special a few seasons from now.

-for me he is the surprise through two games, he could play himself into minutes this season

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

However, it is not crazy to think that the ongoing pandemic has had and will have some impact on attendance.  

If it were measurable in any way I'd bet money that the "ongoing pandemic" will actually drive more people to attend the games than scare people away who would have attended otherwise. 

Everyone is itching after a year and a half of bullsh!t to get out and do things, and this is one of those things that they're going to jump at. 

It was just the tail end of a back-to-back on a Wednesday against an NAIA opponent - that's it. Nothing else to it. 

dennis_w likes this

Re-watched the game this morning. I agree with whoever said earlier in this thread that we somehow still take Yuri's passing for granted. I think he's the best college passer I've ever seen. He's definitely the best passer of any SLU player in my lifetime, and it's not particularly close (I guess Josh Fisher or Jordair Jett would be second, but there is a big gap). 

17 minutes ago, NH said:

Re-watched the game this morning. I agree with whoever said earlier in this thread that we somehow still take Yuri's passing for granted. I think he's the best college passer I've ever seen. He's definitely the best passer of any SLU player in my lifetime, and it's not particularly close (I guess Josh Fisher or Jordair Jett would be second, but there is a big gap). 

That's not a gap. That's the Grand Canyon you're looking at

25 minutes ago, NH said:

Just asking, did you see H Waldman?

Billiken Rich likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Are you NH?

I am not NH however I am a friendly I watched H Waldman and he was a terrific point guard.

Posting Waldman is not even being close as the player as Yuri is nonsense.

Waldman has played in 2 NCAA tournaments as the floor general of his team while playing in The Great Midwest conference, enough said.

Yuri will lead this team to the NCAA tournament as long as there are no more injuries.

Billiken Rich likes this

59 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

If it were measurable in any way I'd bet money that the "ongoing pandemic" will actually drive more people to attend the games than scare people away who would have attended otherwise. 

Everyone is itching after a year and a half of bullsh!t to get out and do things, and this is one of those things that they're going to jump at. 

It was just the tail end of a back-to-back on a Wednesday against an NAIA opponent - that's it. Nothing else to it. 

I'm not at all interested in turning this into an argument.  I actually hope you are correct because it is good for SLU if more people go to games, but I'd say that only 4,800 in attendance for the home opener vs Central Arkansas points toward there not being pent up demand for in person Billiken basketball that will boost attendance.  I buy that there is absolutely pent up demand for in person SLU basketball for die hard fans, but die hard fans were going to the games regardless. 

Central Arkansas isn't a big name opponent and it was a weekday game, but that 4,800 is well below other recent mid-week openers against crappy opponents.

vs Florida Gulf Coast (Tuesday 11/5/19) - 6,321

vs SEMO (Tuesday 11/6/18) - 6,028

Maybe part of that is that folks knew they'd have the Harris Stowe if they missed Central Ark or they had lower expectations this season / were bummed out about Perkins or that FGCU & SEMO are slightly bigger names than Central Arkansas or some other factors.  Who knows.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not at all interested in turning this into an argument.  I actually hope you are correct because it is good for SLU if more people go to games, but I'd say that only 4,800 in attendance for the home opener vs Central Arkansas points toward there not being pent up demand for in person Billiken basketball that will boost attendance.  I buy that there is absolutely pent up demand for in person SLU basketball for die hard fans, but die hard fans were going to the games regardless. 

Central Arkansas isn't a big name opponent and it was a weekday game, but that 4,800 is well below other recent mid-week openers against crappy opponents.

vs Florida Gulf Coast (Tuesday 11/5/19) - 6,321

vs SEMO (Tuesday 11/6/18) - 6,028

Maybe part of that is that folks knew they'd have the Harris Stowe if they missed Central Ark or they had lower expectations this season / were bummed out about Perkins or that FGCU & SEMO are slightly bigger names than Central Arkansas or some other factors.  Who knows.

The very "average" fan see's this as a team that has lost the heart and sole of the last 4 years in Goodwin and French.  They dont now that this team could end up being uber exciting.  What I just typed out, I've had to tell to numerous people recently who attend games casually.  From their standpoint,  they think we're gonna be down. 

cgeldmacher likes this

17 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

This may not be strictly a GDT topic....but did others see Frank Cusumano had his car stolen for the Chaifetz lot yesterday.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/joe-holleman/ksdks-frank-cusumanos-car-stolen-from-chaifetz-lot/article_4c428603-dfe9-5085-a83d-9ce5206aff22.html

-this reads like he was parked in the Weber lot, at that time of day there are guards in the booth, I guess they only check incoming

-embarrassing for The U

23 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Does anyone know if the announced Attendance figures are tickets distributed (which includes no shows) or “turnstyle” (scanned) count, meaning actual number at the games?

-not the first time this question has been asked, did we get an answer from the ADept?

50 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am not NH however I am a friendly I watched H Waldman and he was a terrific point guard.

Posting Waldman is not even being close as the player as Yuri is nonsense.

Waldman has played in 2 NCAA tournaments as the floor general of his team while playing in The Great Midwest conference, enough said.

Yuri will lead this team to the NCAA tournament as long as there are no more injuries.

Agree 

He also was the starter for a 25-2 UNLV team that would have been a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA tournament if not for a postseason ban.

H Waldman was awesome.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Let me back this up with an anecdote.  I have organized a group of guys going to a road Billiken game for the past 10 years now.  It's all guys from the same fraternity who went to SLU at roughly the same time.  We went 8 years in a row to places like Dayton, Butler, VCU, Fordham, and St. Joe's.  We did not go anywhere last year due to COVID.  In the past we have had any where from 6-10 guys go.  I draw from a pool of about 40 guys I have on an email list.

This year, I have 19 guys going.  Many are flying.  All know that they will have to wear masks on crowded planes to get to Pittsburgh.  All are aware that they will have to wear a mask at the game.  However, all of them desperately want to get out and away from their homes and do a trip like this.

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Let me back this up with an anecdote.  I have organized a group of guys going to a road Billiken game for the past 10 years now.  It's all guys from the same fraternity who went to SLU at roughly the same time.  We went 8 years in a row to places like Dayton, Butler, VCU, Fordham, and St. Joe's.  We did not go anywhere last year due to COVID.  In the past we have had any where from 6-10 guys go.  I draw from a pool of about 40 guys I have on an email list.

This year, I have 19 guys going.  Many are flying.  All know that they will have to wear masks on crowded planes to get to Pittsburgh.  All are aware that they will have to wear a mask at the game.  However, all of them desperately want to get out and away from their homes and do a trip like this.

Out of reactions but +1000. In the real world people are back to normal to the fullest capacity that they're allowed to. 

19 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Scott Highmark said Nesbitt may be the most talented Billiken since Larry Hughes. 

So did Rammer on his 2 man podcast although Rammer clarified that he wasn't saying that JN is as good as LH or even that he would become as good as Larry, only that he was the most talented Billiken since LH.