GDT: Harris Stowe

Bills By 40

I don’t see why Nesbitt couldn’t effectively guard most of the 4s we will play against this year. He has enough height, enough strength, plus speed, plus vertical, and great tenacity. Not saying that’s the way to go, but it seems to me it’s a viable option if needed. 

Obviously it was against smaller men, but he sure can get up and challenge and block shots when the opposing players try to back him down towards the block. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Happy to see what I saw tonight. Most of the second line players played a good number of minutes and did pretty well. Some of the first line players like Thatch played very  little and did very little. It was a free for all romp. I think Harris Stowe team got the kind of experience that will help them to dominate in their league, whatever it may be. It was fun to watch.

The billikens (slubillikens.com)site did not post the box score, this game does not count, period. If Ford wanted a venue to exercise all the team, Courtney included, promote team work, and give confidence, he got it. Now we can move on with  the real business of winning.

The box score is posted on slubillikens.com. as usual.

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

The box score is posted on slubillikens.com. as usual.

It was not there when I checked but it is there now.

I think we could easily have gone over 130 but the team started passing the ball to Courtney to see if he would score, which he did.

7 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

No one wears a mask. No vaccine policy. What does the administration expect?

Straw man argument, the opponent was Harris Stow. 

The Auburn and Dayton games will have 9000 or more in attendance under the same attendance rules.

My wife and I are vaccinated and wear masks at the games so your statement of no one wears masks is wrong.

Some fans have been violating the rule and some of those fans have been told to put there masks back on I have seen it.

I have also seen fans not following the mask rules.

13 hours ago, slufan13 said:

This is incredibly minor but Jones being #55 is going to bother me all season 

13 hours ago, dlarry said:

Maybe he is a big Mutumbo fan?

DistortedInsecureHaddock-max-1mb.gif

I've been bugged by this since the first exhibition game. Terrible basketball number. 

9 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This is such a bad take that I almost think it's satire. For your sake I hope it is. 

We played Harris Stowe on a Wednesday in November just one day after a crowd of 5000 for Central Arkansas. That's the answer.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

lot of gold stars to hand out last night.   realizing it was harris stowe, but even then you have to finish the plays and the billikens did.   plus very few unforced errors. a lot of encouragement to take from that game last night.   people wondered why we played that game, and i got to believe the self confidence for our billikens soared after that game.

traore seems to me to be able to play.   this definitely takes away some of the angst we were all experiencing with linssen and okoro tendency to get in foul trouble.

what the hell are we going to do with strickland.   he just keeps amazing us.  that back and forth with lorentson ending with a sportscenter worthy alley oop finish by strickland was incredible.   strickland is the argument for the billikens playing fast.   he needs to play and all out run offense and pressure defense is written all over strickland

we are now officially taking yuri passes forgranted he had 3 or 4 passes last night where after it was over i said to myself "wait a minute, that pass was incredible".  

if last night's nesbitt is now the norm, he's ready to assume the role.  it sure seemed to me that his shot was "fixed".  definitely looked great.   i continue to be super impressed with his effort.   the kid is a player.   i am scared to say this, but he might be at least goodwin upgraded.   i wont go to the hughes comparison.........yet.

okoro also seemed to smell blood in the water and was at a different level.   okoro and linssen together is quite the in the lane duo.  however we need to see that night after night.

last night was the first thus far of liking williams.   he still took a few ill advised shots, but he also made some and he made some good passes and i thought he played his best defense so far.

hargrove did well again and flew in for a couple of nice slams, but twice i saw him make nice 5-10 foooters in traffic which i dont know if we have ever seen that from him.

it was great to see walkon courtney get some minutes and also make a couple of three's.  everyone loves it when the walkons get in a game, but making 2 three pointers as well.  that's the sign of a great night.  

of course i saved the best for last.   i dont know about the rest of you, but last year when covid hit the team and then they started playing again, it broke my heart to see jimmmerson just seem to collapse.   from my seats last year he looked defeated and i truly felt this kid is done and might leave this team.   of course that is just me talking and that was never said publically by gibson or ford or anyone associated with saint louis university.   the good news it was just unnecessary conclusion jumping on my part and i am beyond thrilled with what we have seen from gibson this year.   last night was spectacular.   he was executing perfect backdoor cuts receiving pin point passes from yuri.  he was getting out on the break and finishing 3/4 length passes from yuri.   he was finding the three point line and draining every opportunity.   8-11 from the field total.  3-4 from the three point line.  21 points and he only played 17 minutes!  jimmerson proved last night he is very very good and imo he might be the difference maker.   yes yuri has become a supreme floor general.  yes nesbitt is living up to the huge expectations.   but jimmmerson is the guy emerging that the team really needed.   

I'm starting to think that Jimerson has what it takes to single-handedly replace Perkins' 17PPG. He's shown that he can create on his own both on and off the dribble, and can most certainly convert on the (many) opportunities that Yuri creates for him. He's averaging 19 PPG on just 21 MPG - that's .884 points per minute played and a pace of 35.4PPG at 40MPG. 

Even more impressive is that Giberson Jimerson is averaging 52/55/100%. If we keep his confidence as high as his usage he can lead the league in scoring. 

10 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Suggesting that masking & the vaccine policy are primary drivers of poor attendance in a mid-week game against Harris-Stowe that was the 2nd half of the first ever back to back in Chaifetz history is crazy.  Anyone remotely plugged in / logical could have told you this was going to be a poorly attended game regardless of COVID.

However, it is not crazy to think that the ongoing pandemic has had and will have some impact on attendance.  It'll be one of a myriad of factors (SLU's level of play, opponent, weekday vs weekend, weather, time, other events happening at the same time, etc.) driving attendance this season.  There are many fans who aren't comfortable attending large events especially indoors.  Potential lax enforcement of masking policies and the lack of a vaccine mandate are likely contributing to those people not being comfortable. You can argue whether those people are reasonable, but it won't change the fact that they exist.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

we are now officially taking yuri passes forgranted he had 3 or 4 passes last night where after it was over i said to myself "wait a minute, that pass was incredible".  

The airmailed alley-oop pass from Jimerson on the break in game one serves are a reminder of how difficult some of those phenomenal passes Yuri makes are.  Putting a pass exactly where it needs to be while you are also running is hard.

cgeldmacher and wgstl like this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Gonna see a TON of backdoor cuts from Jimerson this year.  Defenders have to stay within a foot of him on defense with their back turned. 

I think teams will scout that and try to take it away pretty quickly, but the beauty is it will open up things up either for Jimerson to take a 3 or for Yuri to find another open player underneath someone helps off their man to stop Jimerson at the rim.  Yuri's passing ability makes the play.  He's throwing bullets to Jimerson through traffic that are right on the money / timed perfectly.

I'm curious to see how we will react & who steps up - Nesbitt? - when teams start to blitz screens set for Yuri to force him to give up the ball.  We struggled when that happened later in the year last season.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think teams will scout that and try to take it away pretty quickly, but the beauty is it will open up things up either for Jimerson to take a 3 or for Yuri to find another open player underneath someone helps off their man to stop Jimerson at the rim.  Yuri's passing ability makes the play.  He's throwing bullets to Jimerson through traffic that are right on the money / timed perfectly.

I'm curious to see how we will react & who steps up - Nesbitt? - when teams start to blitz screens set for Yuri to force him to give up the ball.  We struggled when that happened later in the year last season.

I dont think teams will worry about taking away those 2-4 points in exchange for more 3's. Sure it may change if they go to more zone, but with man to man, as long as he's in the corner there's not much more a defender can do.  And agreed, the most a defender can do is hug Jimerson in the corner, which would open the whole half court up to a 4 on 4 which is even better.

I think the first big takeaway for me was that the 2 grad transfers, Jones and Williams, didn't even score that much but clearly have the skills. Either of these guys could go off for 20 any night they get hot.  

Second was obviously Nes.  This guy looks like he could fill the JGood role with better 3 point shooting. He is even rebounding some. 

Obviously the biggest hole is the 4/flex wing spot and Hargrove really should have had better numbers in these first few game. He may end up losing his job to Traore who to me looks like a find. I love Hargrove but he needs to do better.

Yuri might be one of the top floor generals in the country this year.

Interesting season ahead. I was thinking that several of the commonly used strategies used by opposing teams to stop SLU, zone defense, and fouling Hassahn to stop our play, will not work this year against us. I will be interesting to see how they are going to manage to stop us this year.