Women's Hoops 2021-22

Cowboy II

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I really liked Kent.  Tall, decent athlete with nice range on her shot.  She was a loss.

Stewart was a huge risk but with her talent it was worth it.  Didn't pan out.  Nothing Stone could do.  Stewart went from Houston to SLU to Mo Bap and left there.  She's not currently playing.

Rice is barely in the rotation on the worst team in the Missouri Valley.  She was recruited over.  Not a loss.

Clark is good but flawed.  She is averaging 14 points a game for a middling Evansville program.  She shoots 36% from the field and 23% from 3.  She's taken over 80 3s.  Lots of volume and not much to show for it really.  She'd never get those shots here.  That is why she is gone.  She's decent defensively, and a good rebounder for her size but a backcourt with her and Ciaja is too small and doesn't have enough ball handling skills to run an offense.

Stone is in a tough spot.  This should have been her year but transfers, injuries, little development has tanked the season.

Ciaja is great but she's super flawed as well.  Too small, not a good shooter, not really a PG.  A lot of A10 teams have players like her  The good ones she is a 2nd option.  On our team now she is option 1,2,3, and 4.  She's put up huge numbers for the program but no postseason success.

What comes back next year?  Not much.  I don't have a ton of faith in her recruiting at this point.  I don't see an impact player on next years roster.  The team could be really bad.

Stone's offense really features bigs.  I don't understand why she can't get players better than Sadie to play the post and just eat.  In Stone's offense in the A10 a really good big with size could average 20 10 easy.  Brooke puts up big numbers and she's really just an athlete out there, not much skill at all.  In this transfer portal we should be able to find a big who wants to be the Shaq of the A10.  Stone's could put the ball in her hands every possession.  One of the things Stones teaches well is entry passes.  The mens teams could learn a thing or two from her.

Still big picture, this is a down year for Stone and the team could still finish .500.  Considering the program history that is actually pretty good.  I really want to see the women make an NCAA tourney.  The program has the capability.  Not sure of Stone can get us there.  

Doesn’t she have a good class coming in next year?

Don’t Brooke and Ciaja have a Covid year of eligibility they could use next year?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, thetorch said:

Stone's offense really features bigs.  I don't understand why she can't get players better than Sadie to play the post and just eat.  In Stone's offense in the A10 a really good big with size could average 20 10 easy.  Brooke puts up big numbers and she's really just an athlete out there, not much skill at all.  In this transfer portal we should be able to find a big who wants to be the Shaq of the A10.  Stone's could put the ball in her hands every possession.  One of the things Stones teaches well is entry passes.  The mens teams could learn a thing or two from her.

This is awesome analysis that I never really thought about.  In the post Sadie era, bigs who have ridden the bench early in their careers for Stone have become key players later on (Madison Gits & Kendra Wilken).  I don't think either of those players were particularly great talents, but they were decent bigs who fit well in Stone's offense & put up good numbers because of that.

34 minutes ago, willie said:

Stone is lacking outside shooters like Jenny Viliet and Jordin Frantz. 

They've counted on Kiley Bess in this role and she's been inconsistent, basically all or nothing all season. She'll go 4-6 one night and 0-5 the next. She's at about 35% on the year, which is still the best on a bad outside shooting team (.270 overall). Losing Kent was a huge blow.

Slu wins a thriller in OT over Bonaventure

Ciaja with the game winner with .9 left on the clock. Career high 36 points 1 point off the all time school record 

Flowers set the all time block record tonight as well.

58 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Slu wins a thriller in OT over Bonaventure

Ciaja with the game winner with .9 left on the clock. Career high 36 points 1 point off the all time school record 

Flowers set the all time block record tonight as well.

I hate OT, but this was a great comeback win. Everything went right for us when it needed to.

42 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I hate OT, but this was a great comeback win. Everything went right for us when it needed to.

This was not a comeback. We were up 11-0 to start the game and managed to be down by 5 at the half. Would have been a devastating home loss. Ciaja saved us with her best marque perry impersonation.

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

This was not a comeback. We were up 11-0 to start the game and managed to be down by 5 at the half. Would have been a devastating home loss. Ciaja saved us with her best marque perry impersonation.

I guess not a comeback, but the game ebbed to where I thought we were going to go cold and lose by a more significant margin.

43 minutes ago, willie said:

It was a comeback. We were down something like double digits going into the 4th quarter. 

I was at the game and was worried I was misremembering when I called it a comeback. 😅

• 3 weeks later...

Another improbable, but awesome win over the Hawks tonight. Peyton Kennedy had a breakout game and we beat a team with 6 players available. You read that right, 6 players.

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This needs more national attention I feel like ...

I remember a few years ago when the men only had 7 available and won, but 6? 5 and 1 bench is bonkers.

43 minutes ago, thetorch said:

St. Joes went 11 deep.

Love to see Flowers taking a leadership role finally.  She''s held the team together on the court the past 2 games.

Here's hoping Ciaja can come back from concussion protocol soon so we can tack on a few more conference wins.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

St. Joes went 11 deep.

Love to see Flowers taking a leadership role finally.  She''s held the team together on the court the past 2 games.

You saw a different game than I did. Brooke was very good defensively, but her offense was just plain bad. How they won a game with that lineup and Flowers scoring 2 points is beyond me. Thankfully, St. Joe can’t shoot.

Congrats to Coach Stone for keeping her team together. They show a lot of fight. And I thought she made a good move in the 4th quarter when she moved Brooke out to the free throw line and it opened the lane for layups. I think we scored 4 times in a row, and it changed the outcome. 

14 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

You saw a different game than I did. Brooke was very good defensively, but her offense was just plain bad. How they won a game with that lineup and Flowers scoring 2 points is beyond me. Thankfully, St. Joe can’t shoot.

Congrats to Coach Stone for keeping her team together. They show a lot of fight. And I thought she made a good move in the 4th quarter when she moved Brooke out to the free throw line and it opened the lane for layups. I think we scored 4 times in a row, and it changed the outcome. 

Speaking more on her leadership. She's being a coach on the floor and really anchoring the defense where normally her attention wanes. She's never been much of an offensive player.