GDT: vs Central Arkansas

I watched the game in Bally Sports Midwest. The first 10 minutes or so they were not together, however the second 10 minutes they starting gelling and did well. We went ahead and stayed ahead. The first line team played maybe 30 minutes or so but the last 10 minutes everyone else played. We beat them by 35, Vegas line was in our favor by 21.5. We did well.

Williams played little but impressed me with his two very clean 3 pointers one from far away. Strickland was also impressive. Traore did a lot better than I thought he would or could. Jones was fine as a ball handler but only 1 assist. Okoro did very well but appeared that he needed more smoothness in his play. Lorentsson did not do  much.

We just destroyed them in Rebounds, and steals, they did better than we did in blocks.

Nice start to the season, this was a very convincing victory over CA.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I overreacted to the first half. I was unimpressed and worried. 
The second half alleviated some of those concerns. Central Arkansas is a trash team so I won’t get overly excited but it was nice to see a blow out.

Collins is unbelievable. 
it’s crazy to think we could have him in Billiken blue for 2 more seasons after this one. He has become one of the smartest players I’ve seen.

cgeldmacher, brianstl and CBFan like this

9 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Maybe I’ve been drinking a little too much of the ol’ blue Kool Aid, but I feel pretty confident we’re gonna come out victorious tonight!

1-0 for predictions on the season! Let’s go!

I gotta be honest guys, I was pretty calm even at half time. The 1st half wasn’t pretty. Too lax on defense and WAY TOO MANY TURNOVERS! But it’s the 1st game with a lot of newcomers and underclassmen. Sloppiness is to be expected. Look at some of the scores around the A10 and around the country. I think a lot of teams were dealing with that same thing. But our length and athleticism was apparent even in the 1st half. We just needed to chill, get the nerves out and play our game. And in the 2nd half, that’s exactly what we did. Yuri was phenomenal. Nesbitt…I’m going to restrain myself as best as I can and say he’s special. He’s going to be a special player. I liked Jimerson being more aggressive inside the arc, and sniping from behind it. I thought TJ played well. Linssen was great. I think Okoro is kinda still finding himself and gaining confidence, but he was fine. Jones looked good backing up Yuri. Traore was the big surprise. He did not look out of place at all. I don’t know how long you can keep Williams in the dog house when he can shoot the way he does. Whatever he has to figure out, he needs to figure it out quick because he’s an absolute sniper. Thatch was disappointing for me. I’m never going to question Fred’s hustle or effort. But he can’t shoot, he turns it over too much, he must’ve gotten his pocket picked 3 or 4 times. That can’t happen going forward. It just can’t. But with the end of our bench essentially playing the last 10 minutes, I’ll take a 35-point win. 

19 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I gotta be honest guys, I was pretty calm even at half time. The 1st half wasn’t pretty. Too lax on defense and WAY TOO MANY TURNOVERS! But it’s the 1st game with a lot of newcomers and underclassmen. Sloppiness is to be expected. Look at some of the scores around the A10 and around the country. I think a lot of teams were dealing with that same thing. But our length and athleticism was apparent even in the 1st half. We just needed to chill, get the nerves out and play our game. And in the 2nd half, that’s exactly what we did. Yuri was phenomenal. Nesbitt…I’m going to restrain myself as best as I can and say he’s special. He’s going to be a special player. I liked Jimerson being more aggressive inside the arc, and sniping from behind it. I thought TJ played well. Linssen was great. I think Okoro is kinda still finding himself and gaining confidence, but he was fine. Jones looked good backing up Yuri. Traore was the big surprise. He did not look out of place at all. I don’t know how long you can keep Williams in the dog house when he can shoot the way he does. Whatever he has to figure out, he needs to figure it out quick because he’s an absolute sniper. Thatch was disappointing for me. I’m never going to question Fred’s hustle or effort. But he can’t shoot, he turns it over too much, he must’ve gotten his pocket picked 3 or 4 times. That can’t happen going forward. It just can’t. But with the end of our bench essentially playing the last 10 minutes, I’ll take a 35-point win. 

disagree on thatch, he had a solid stat line only 1 turnover

Crewsorlose likes this

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

disagree on thatch, he had a solid stat line only 1 turnover

He may have only officially had 1 turnover, but he got his pocket picked at least twice, including on the last play of the 1st half. He had 6 points, all from within 3 feet or at the line, a few boards, a couple assists. Like I said, I’m never going to question his hustle, but he was the least impressive of our regulars for me.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Early returns on A10 results put Bona and SLU on a path for a Battle Royale. I am sure some other junkers will turn it around from here, but we should at least be in the mix.

We have a fun team but what I saw tonight is a team closer to 4-6 than the top. Okoro’s limited contribution is scary because it means our big man depth is even worse than anticipated. Props to Nesbitt for his defense in the post. IMO he was our best defender tonight. Speaking of Nesbitt, he is going to be a super star sooner rather than later. His offense will improve with every game, and he very well may be all-conference this season.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We have a fun team but what I saw tonight is a team closer to 4-6 than the top. Okoro’s limited contribution is scary because it means our big man depth is even worse than anticipated. Props to Nesbitt for his defense in the post. IMO he was our best defender tonight. Speaking of Nesbitt, he is going to be a super star sooner rather than later. His offense will improve with every game, and he very well may be all-conference this season.

I couldn’t disagree more. Okoro was fine. It was his 1st real game in 2 years. Chill. If anything Traore’s effort tonight makes me feel even better about our frontcourt depth. If you were expecting a finished product tonight, your expectations were WAY TOO HIGH!

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I couldn’t disagree more. Okoro was fine. It was his 1st real game in 2 years. Chill. If anything Traore’s effort tonight makes me feel even better about our frontcourt depth. If you were expecting a finished product tonight, your expectations were WAY TOO HIGH!

Okoro looked like the same player he was at Oregon. A solid role player but nothing more. I hope that changes because we need him to play at a higher level.

Traore looked good. I want to see him do it against better competition, but it was a great start for him.

SLU1818 likes this

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

Okoro looked like the same player he was at Oregon. A solid role player but nothing more. I hope that changes because we need him to play at a higher level.

Traore looked good. I want to see him do it against better competition, but it was a great start for him.

Okoro barely played with Yuri tonight. He will be much better offensively when he’s out there with Yurimania. 

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

It was his 1st game in 2 years. Even how he looked tonight, how many big men in the A10 could keep up with him? Osun. Anybody else? It’s a short list. Let’s not pretend like the A10 has an abundance of 6’10 freak athletes. He’ll be fine.

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Imo Okoro did well for what his role will likely be on this team. He rebounded and played defense. I don’t think we need to ask for too much offense out of him.

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Nesbitt is so good. Has the same dog in him that Goodwin has but is way more gifted athletically and better on the offensive end. I would like to see those two play 1v1 tbh.

Agree on Thatch. Maybe it was just a bad game, but was never really impressed with anything he did. Just looked lost offensively. 

Granted, it’s UCA, but Deandre Jones looked much better then he did against Lindenwood. Ford clearly has a good amount of confidence in him so I have a bit higher hopes for what he can do in the future.

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Any game where we can get the end of the bench significant minutes is a strong game.  Good job, Team Blue!

I agree.  I did think that Okoro looked like he was shying away from contact.  Why - not sure could be rust could be he just may not like to go up hard but it is too early to make an assessment.

53 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Rusty start to the game, but warmed up well. Looked to me that GJ defense has not improved any. His man got around him easily all night. 
mhg

The more we see jimmer the more I think he compares to highmark   so the spoon rule in play.   As long as he outscored his man 😄

CBFan likes this

10 hours ago, Compton said:

LaSalle about to lose to Sacred Heart in OT (on ESPN+). 

Definition of a bad loss. The Joeys nipped Md. Eastern Shore by 2. That would have been a worse loss.