The Bills over C Ark by 25

The Wiz

Let's start the season with a trivia question.   What player in last year's  C Ark vs Bills game finished 2nd to Yuri's 9 assists with a total of 8 for the game.

The answer ....none other than  the Bills DeAndre Jones...who played for C Ark last year.  Hmmm... does that mean Yuri and DJ will get 17 assists in tomorrow's game?

As you can tell by the spread....not much to see here.   C Ark with a grade of F  while the Bills start off with a B+ . (for more info on the upcoming season , see my forecast in an earlier thread). This game will be another exhibition  EXCEPT this counts. These next 2 games will be important  in terms of getting up to speed quickly.  EIU  our next opponent is also an F team.  We will have to play these next 2 games as though they were against worthy opponents because after these games the opponent will be worthy....12th ITN and A rated Memphis.  We do not have the luxury this year of rounding into shape over 4 or 5 games. We need to come out of the gate at full speed. This won't be easy to go  full tilt against a team that we are favored to beat by 25 pts....but that's what we need to do.

Go like it counts...cause it does.

Go Bills

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Let's start the season with a trivia question.   What player in last year's  C Ark vs Bills game finished 2nd to Yuri's 9 assists with a total of 8 for the game.

The answer ....none other than  the Bills DeAndre Jones...who played for C Ark last year.  Hmmm... does that mean Yuri and DJ will get 17 assists in tomorrow's game?

As you can tell by the spread....not much to see here.   C Ark with a grade of F  while the Bills start off with a B+ . (for more info on the upcoming season , see my forecast in an earlier thread). This game will be another exhibition  EXCEPT this counts. These next 2 games will be important  in terms of getting up to speed quickly.  EIU  our next opponent is also an F team.  We will have to play these next 2 games as though they were against worthy opponents because after these games the opponent will be worthy....12th ITN and A rated Memphis.  We do not have the luxury this year of rounding into shape over 4 or 5 games. We need to come out of the gate at full speed. This won't be easy to go  full tilt against a team that we are favored to beat by 25 pts....but that's what we need to do.

Go like it counts...cause it does.

Go Bills

great trivia Wi(z)se one

This win is in line with what I expected.  Winning by 25+ validates the preseason  B+ ranking . It also validates the C Ark F rating. This was a tune up game as the players and coaches figure things out. 

Let's look at some of the numbers....

51/ 41 / 65....A+/ A+/ F....After a slow start the shooting turned out to be good....a promising beginning. Before anyone says here we go again with foul shots ...know that with just 1 more FTM we are at C-.  So it is too early to draw any conclusion about FTs. One last thing about the slash. Let's look at 1st half vs 2nd half....

1st half.....43/ 25/69.....2nd half.....59/50/ 50...whether it was opening night jitters or rust we definitely got off to a slow start. I thought Traore was instrumental in turning the game around in the 1st half. He broke us out of our funk.

12 TOs...This is an OK number...yes there were some careless TOs but for an opening game this is good....especially in light of the fact we forced them into 22 TOs. More than 20 TOs on a game always spells loss.

Room for improvement....6 steals  and 6 blks against us is too many...the good news in this game is we had 12 steals.

Good stuff....double double for Yuri...12 assist is a lot even for Yuri...Interesting fact....Yuri had more assists than the entire C Ark team ...12 vs 11....Also rebs looked good not only because we had 44 but because it was spread out nicely. 

Bottom line....Good opening game....hopefully we can build on this game.

CBFan likes this

Wiz, I am really glad to read your analysis. Now, let me talk about the analysis by Team Rankings. Prior to the game we were ranked 107 overall, comparable to UD at 106. In terms of A10 ranking we were 7, they were 6. By the Vegas line we were favored to win our game by 21.5 pts and we actually won it by 35 an improvement over the Vegas line of 13.5 pts. UD was expected to win their (against a better opponent) by 14.3 and actually won by 10, they went below the Vegas line by 4.3 pts. As a result of our respective performances, SLU went from 107 to 84 overall, and from 7 to 5 in A10 in the TR rankings. Dayton went from 106 to 105 overall, and from 6 to 8 in A10 in the TR rankings. All is going well for us despite our slow start during last night.

As you know, tonight's game against Harris Stowe does not count for the season. If I was Ford, which of course I am not, I would just play the second string for this game, win or lose, and let them do their thing for significant minutes, just to see who does what and how well they do it. I am not sure about Lorentssen, but I think Traore, Williams, and Strickland can put together quite a show for us tonight. I would use (from the first string) Okoro, Linssen, Jones (as primary PG) and Thatch to beef up this team, and then just watch them and what they can do.

I suspect Traore, Williams, Strickland and perhaps Lorentssen may wind up putting up quite a show for us.

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Wiz, I am really glad to read your analysis. Now, let me talk about the analysis by Team Rankings. Prior to the game we were ranked 107 overall, comparable to UD at 106. In terms of A10 ranking we were 7, they were 6. By the Vegas line we were favored to win our game by 21.5 pts and we actually won it by 35 an improvement over the Vegas line of 13.5 pts. UD was expected to win their (against a better opponent) by 14.3 and actually won by 10, they went below the Vegas line by 4.3 pts. As a result of our respective performances, SLU went from 107 to 84 overall, and from 7 to 5 in A10 in the TR rankings. Dayton went from 106 to 105 overall, and from 6 to 8 in A10 in the TR rankings. All is going well for us despite our slow start during last night.

As you know, tonight's game against Harris Stowe does not count for the season. If I was Ford, which of course I am not, I would just play the second string for this game, win or lose, and let them do their thing for significant minutes, just to see who does what and how well they do it. I am not sure about Lorentssen, but I think Traore, Williams, and Strickland can put together quite a show for us tonight. I would use (from the first string) Okoro, Linssen, Jones (as primary PG) and Thatch to beef up this team, and then just watch them and what they can do.

I suspect Traore, Williams, Strickland and perhaps Lorentssen may wind up putting up quite a show for us.

Insert Rockhurst for Harris-Stowe, you’ve got yourself one hell of a good post.

44 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As you know, tonight's game against Harris Stowe does not count for the season.

I believe this game does count.  All stats are official, and it goes towards our record.  It just doesn't factor into our 'NET' rankings.  So at the end of the season we may be 20-6 overall, but NET just looks at the 19-6.

Am I wrong here?

Littlebill likes this

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Harris Stowe is not a D1 program, I just checked it in the net.

Oh I know that they aren't.  Which is why they are excluded from our NET records.  But games against lower division programs (for some reason) count for the D1 team; and not for the lower teams.  I guess they don't want to punish the lower schools for playing up; which makes sense.  But they also don't want to reward teams trying to inflate their rankings by playing cupcakes.  I'm pretty certain this game counts for us; but not for HS.

As you know, I follow Team Rankings, they have the Harris Stowe game included in their schedule but they provide no information about it. Normally every game is preceded by their analysis and estimates of who  will win and by how much. There is nothing available there for the Harris Stowe game. I doubt it will count as a win or lose in their records. Now, this is a professional betting analysis organization and they sell their advice. What I get is the free portion of it in the net. I doubt that if this game counted for anything in the official records for the season they would exclude them. I will provide as to what TR does after the Harris Stowe game. I really wonder why we play them but really do not think it counts.

1 hour ago, philliken said:

I believe this game does count.  All stats are official, and it goes towards our record.  It just doesn't factor into our 'NET' rankings.  So at the end of the season we may be 20-6 overall, but NET just looks at the 19-6.

Am I wrong here?

This is correct. Stats will be added to players ppg etc,  just excluded from NET and the eye test in march. 

Zink likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is correct. Stats will be added to players ppg etc,  just excluded from NET and the eye test in march. 

So, they count for our records of the season, but not for the official NCAA records that will determine our standing or for the invitation to the dance. Is this the case?

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

So, they count for our records of the season, but not for the official NCAA records that will determine our standing or for the invitation to the dance. Is this the case?

It will count towards our NCAA Record.  The 'NET' is a tool that the selection committee uses to analyze that record.  Our NCAA record will have one more game, that NET will not have.

And to answer the question about why we still play these games; we were not going to this year.  The Harris Stowe game was added late as an extra tune-up for Memphis.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I swear last season I saw that it counted towards the record, but I went back and checked and Harris Stowe is no where to be found, so guess it does not count towards total games record. 

Old guy likes this

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I swear last season I saw that it counted towards the record, but I went back and checked and Harris Stowe is no where to be found, so guess it does not count towards total games record. 

Harris Stowe is typically one of our exhibition games, which is why they wouldn't show.  Most recently, we played Maryville in the 2019-2020 regular season.  Also Rockhurst in the regular season in 2017-2018.  Both counted.

Zink likes this

Look guys, if the only reason we are playing Harris Stowe is to get our team some extra playing time to tune up for Memphis, we can go ahead and play them with our second string, let the starters rest during this game and find out what players like Strickland, Williams and Lorentssen can do when left playing against a real opponent for a long time.

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Look guys, if the only reason we are playing Harris Stowe is to get our team some extra playing time to tune up for Memphis, we can go ahead and play them with our second string, let the starters rest during this game and find out what players like Strickland, Williams and Lorentssen can do when left playing against a real opponent for a long time.

This is incredibly shortsided. This is a team that is still learning to play without Perkins. This team was built around Perkins, a game against Harris-Stowe is very important for our starting 5 and 8 man rotation.

billiken_roy, AGB91, Zink and 1 other like this

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is incredibly shortsided. This is a team that is still learning to play without Perkins. This team was built around Perkins, a game against Harris-Stowe is very important for our starting 5 and 8 man rotation.

exactly. it'll take a month of practices and games to get to where we need to be after the loss of perks. not even worried about bench and depth minutes yet.

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Agreed. The Yuri, GJ, Nesbitt, TJ, Fred, Linssen/Okoro core can become something special. Playing them against HSSU can help that develop.

36 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So because people disagree with you, nobody is right? Gotcha.

No one is right, correct. That is because unless the action taken works and improves the team, there is nothing to discuss here. it is just a total waste of time to  try to psych out Ford. The game itself will change nothing but will give some extra training to the team. You have an opinion and I have a different opinion as to how to deal with this extra training. Neither one of us is Ford so we are just giving personal opinions, neither one is correct. Ford will do whatever he wants to do.

That is, of course, unless it is you that feels the need to be correct.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

No one is right, correct. That is because unless the action taken works and improves the team, there is nothing to discuss here. it is just a total waste of time to  try to psych out Ford. The game itself will change nothing but will give some extra training to the team. You have an opinion and I have a different opinion as to how to deal with this extra training. Neither one of us is Ford so we are just giving personal opinions, neither one is correct. Ford will do whatever he wants to do.

That is, of course, unless it is you that feels the need to be correct.

You have said absolutely nothing here in 4 full lines of text. I don't need to be correct, but I know I am on this.