Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

44 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's my understanding, as well. We have 14 scholarship players (Perkins doesn't count against the limit), and Jones and Linssen definitely won't be coming back. I don't think Perkins would count against the limit if he came back again, but that still means we have 11 returning scholarship players and 3 committed, so we may be oversubscribed by 1. Unless Jones also doesn't count against the limit, but I thought it was the GT rule for him, not the COVID year - I could be wrong. Either way, no room until players transfer out.

This is the chart I put together for the Future Rosters thread.  I haven't updated it for Perkins potentially returning or Linssen definitely leaving, but I think it helps here:

image.png.aef12201bf6dc8105e5574889790bba4.png

Based on what I was thinking for this chart, Williams would not count against the scholarship limit because he'd be in his "extra COVID year".  I'm not 100% that's guys not counting against the limit is a thing except for the this season (Perkins).  If it's not a thing going forward, HS players are really gonna be screwed until all the guys with extra years have burned through them in 2025-26 and SLU would potentially be oversubscribed by 2 for next season if Perkins returns.  I think it's likely all this is moot regarding Williams anyways.

TLDR: I made a fancy chart, but it's probably all wrong & even it isn't transfers will make it obsolete.

Pistol likes this

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perkins will never count against the limit. 

Jones and Williams always will count against the scholarship limit because they transferred in after “the COVID season”. Same for Nesbit. 

Yuri, TJ, GJ, et al will ONLY not count against the limit in the year they are using their “COVID year”. namely the rule is that fifth year does not count against the limit. 

What gets weird and is a future question and I’m assuming there is some ability to work the system is red shirt players like GJ and Thatch. Could they use their COVID year one year not counting against the limit and then the following year use their red shirt (counting against the limit again). Some may matter as paperwork goes and how and when it is filed. The answer may even be clear, but I simply don’t know. GJ may not be planning on  a basketball career of 6 or 7 seasons. His situation is the one that would certainly define what can or can’t be done.

Pattonville won the third place game at Washington 49-46 over Ladue. Thames had 23 points (9-14, 0-0, 5-8), 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, and 4 turnovers. He was also named to the Washington All-Tournament Team. Pattonville (9-8) plays at Whitfield (13-3) on the 19th.

SLUH beat Vianney 65-51 and Kramer had 18 to lead SLUH (10-3). Freshman Luke Walsh (SLU interest) had 19 to lead Vianney (8-6). I don't have stats for Kramer beyond the point total. SLUH hosts Ritenour (1-9) on the 17th.

Moberly beat Mineral Area College 69-58 tonight. I'll update this post with Parker's stats when the box score is posted.

CBFan likes this

21 hours ago, hmart23 said:

760 boys and girls per their website. not thousands.

My son was nominated for the MCD game.  Now he was a nice player, but not a D1 level player.  Seems each state gets kids nominated, regardless of talent level.  So it's a nice honor, but don't confuse it with talent level of most of the players nominated.

Here's an article that explains the change in the nomination process over the years and why the final list is much less representative of the best players than it was in the past.  The key excerpts are below:

https://www.prephoops.com/2020/01/mcdonalds-all-american-nomination-process/

Being nominated as a McDonald’s All-American was once seen as a huge honor for those fortunate enough to be in consideration for a selection. There was a vetting process state by state led by an individual who was very familiar with the scene. One nominator for the boys and one for the girls. Each person was heavily involved in the basketball scene for that state. 

Since 2010, this process changed to handing over the nomination process to Head high school coaches, high school athletic directors, high school principals and McDonald’s All-American Selection Committee members, which is a very select group spread out all throughout the country.

There are many players that may or may not have the ability to play community college basketball that were nominated to be in consideration for the country’s most elite high school game over legitimate high major signees. Many of whom have a chance to win Gatorade Player of the Year in their state.

Need some opinions; just curious as a SLU grad who lives elsewhere, not in the St. Louis area .... how good are Thames and Kramer compared to some of the highly ranked local players?  Neither seem to have much "love' from 247, Rivals and other recruiting services.

I trust Ford and staff but find their lack of recruitng ranking/notoriety odd. 

7 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Need some opinions; just curious as a SLU grad who lives elsewhere, not in the St. Louis area .... how good are Thames and Kramer compared to some of the highly ranked local players?  Neither seem to have much "love' from 247, Rivals and other recruiting services.

Welcome to recruiting services in the age of COVID, where most kids are not even being seen.  When the season's over, Thames and Kramer will likely be first team All-State.  That's the best vetting you're going to get for mid-major players these days.

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Welcome to recruiting services in the age of COVID, where most kids are not even being seen.  When the season's over, Thames and Kramer will likely be first team All-State.  That's the best vetting you're going to get for mid-major players these days.

Perhaps. but being a first team all-state player does not mean the kid is a D1 player.  My son was 1st team all-state but was only a fringe level D1, D2 recruit.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly they aren't the biggest budget operations normally so outside the top 200 or so players you aren't getting a lot of love.  It's about clicks and the 25 rabid SLU fans aren't paying the bills.  Plus everyone is short staffed now.

21 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I was thinking the same thing. They sound like solid guys that could play if the continue to develop.  But judging from the disappointing seasons we’ve had the last couple of years. We need 9 star recruits 

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Isnt Matt Enright close to being first team, and he has mid D2 offers?

34 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Both likely would have been classified as low 3-stars in the pre-COVID era. They were both valuable role players on Brad Beal Elite, which is a role that previously has been filled by people like TJ Hargrove and Fred Thatch.

They should not be expected to necessarily contribute from day one but neither were reaches.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I was thinking the same thing. They sound like solid guys that could play if the continue to develop.  But judging from the disappointing seasons we’ve had the last couple of years. We need 9 star recruits 

There is a difference between what the team needs, and what the team can get. If these are the best guys we can get and they have potential, then that is what we will get.

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Isnt Matt Enright close to being first team, and he has mid D2 offers?

Possibly.  The All-State team isn't perfect but it's a better barometer for mid-major talent than national recruiting databases.  Nick Kramer wasn't in 247's database until he committed even though he had multiple mid-major offers.  If you're not a top 150 recruit or playing for nationally known program, you're not even on a national recruiting service's radar right now.

54 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

rooting for their teams to go deep in championship terms.

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Possibly.  The All-State team isn't perfect but it's a better barometer for mid-major talent than national recruiting databases.  Nick Kramer wasn't even in 247's database until he committed even though he had multiple mid-major offers.  If you're not a top 150 recruit or playing for nationally known program, you're not even on a national recruiting service's radar right now.

I think Kramer is an underrated player. He seemed to put up decent scoring numbers for BBE. Hard to compare it to other years, but it felt like he scored a lot more than players like Thatch and Hargrove. He also is kind of a rough and tumble player as an athlete, which will matter when he goes up against the A10. Not an amazing athlete, but should have the strength to battle. Overall, I see a lot of upside.

Thames is kind of a project. 6’6” point guard. Did not score as easily on BBE. Could come in and be a star right away, but I expect him to need a few years to get used to the speed of the game at this level. That said, he might get more playing time right away if he can fill in as Yuri’s backup.