Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Figured with next week being NLI week, we have a thread to follow the exploits of our three likely signees ..... Thames, KraParker. Parker.

I need help from some of you about this recruiting class since, at this point I am underwhelmed.  I don't see them as top 4, A-10 team quality players, but am willing to be set straight.

I'm not saying they aren't good players, just that I don't think they are what's needed to stay at the top of our league.  I put JG, HF, JP, YC, Okoro and Nesbitt in that category with other recent recruits good (RW, D Jones) to a little better than good (ML, GJ, TJH),  A-10 quality. 

Again, I hope I'm wrong but I think TF needs to pull in a 4 star quality recruit in this next class or at least in the next recruiting cycle, with emphasis on replacements for Yuri and Okoro.  None of the incoming class of recruits fills either of those needs.

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

I need help from some of you about this recruiting class since, at this point I am underwhelmed.  I don't see them as top 4, A-10 team quality players, but am willing to be set straight.

I'm not saying they aren't good players, just that I don't think they are what's needed to stay at the top of our league.  I put JG, HF, JP, YC, Okoro and Nesbitt in that category with other recent recruits good (RW, D Jones) to a little better than good (ML, GJ, TJH),  A-10 quality. 

Again, I hope I'm wrong but I think TF needs to pull in a 4 star quality recruit in this next class or at least in the next recruiting cycle, with emphasis on replacements for Yuri and Okoro.  None of the incoming class of recruits fills either of those needs.

That's what the 2023 class is for.  I know it would be nice to bring in such players while Yuri and Okoro are still on the roster but I don't know of any mid-major program who's currently pulling that off.  That's one of the things that separates high-majors and mid-majors: the former can bring in starter-caliber recruits even while the starting line-up is set.  Mid-majors need minutes to sell.

i think it is tough to convince players to commit to a program that wont guarantee playing time.   particularly with higher ranked players.   they all think they are one and done's so as 3 star is saying.   those experienced starters have to be seen as opening a spot or the incoming star is just going to head to a program where they will get the needed time to present them to the next level.   

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's what the 2023 class is for.  I know it would be nice to bring in such players while Yuri and Okoro are still on the roster but I don't know of any mid-major program who's currently pulling that off.  That's one of the things that separates high-majors and mid-majors: the former can bring in starter-caliber recruits even while the starting line-up is set.  Mid-majors need minutes to sell.

Agreed.  That's what I was referring to as the "next recruiting cycle" - the one after this group of 11/10/21 signees.  I show the Thames group to be FR when Yuri and FO are seniors, but of course all of that can change based on the free COVID year.

I agree with what Roy and 3-Star said earlier in this thread, it is near impossible to bring in highly touted recruits if they don't have a clear path to playing time. Recruits are more informed now than they ever have been in the past. When they are evaluating schools, they're looking to see how many players at their position are already on the roster. If you look at the best recruiting classes SLU has gotten in recent memory, they have almost all come when we have lots of open spots on the roster to fill. 

On a related point, once you get players into the program it is harder than ever to keep them with the current transfer portal dynamic in college basketball. I believe this is one reason why the staff targeted local players who are very familiar with the program. These are players who may be willing to play a smaller role their freshman year and still be bought into the program and are less likely to transfer just because they don't have immediate playing time.

Lastly I will just say that I am excited about both Thames and Kramer, having watched them play in both AAU and high school ball. Both of them are big guards with versatility, which is a trait that often separates the top college basketball teams. Kramer is already a sniper who continues to improve his shooting ability especially off-the-ball. His ballhandling needs work but he's a decent playmaker for his size and is a physical defender and rebounder. Thames is a little raw right now, but he is still growing into his body and athleticism. He reminds me a little of Demarius Jacobs, in that he can do a little bit of everything on the floor. I think Thames' upside might be higher because of his playmaking ability and aggressiveness. 

I don't know much about Parker, but I can't imagine the staff would add a JUCO wing if they didn't think he would be a key piece from day one.

Zink and billiken_roy like this

Thanks for starting this thread as the three are approaching their respective seasons.

Agree with 3star and Roy and NH here. Thames and Kramer are on a longer-term development plan. If everyone is fine with that, you need some guys like that on your roster. If everyone expects big minutes immediately, you have a problem with morale because math makes it impossible. And yes, if the 2023 class comes together with a 4-star from Texas and some other nice pieces, we'll be fine.

billiken_roy likes this

Recruiting is changed.  At SLU we will mostly land projects we hope to hit on a late bloomer, diamond in the rough, overlooked kid and/or develop them.   Additionally we can now fill holes in the portal.

The goal should be to "stay old".   Build depth through HS recruit,  fill holes through portal and take chances on high pay off guys.  So far we've been effective but have had some bad luck with injuries etc.  

Zink likes this

You know that three is not the number of new players we will have for the 2022-23 season.  Even before the free transfer rule, in Coach's now 6 teams, we have averaged 3.3 players leaving/transferring each year.  There is no reason to believe that won't happen to some degree again.  We will have players with degrees in hand that could elect to move on, and there will be those who are not satisfied with their current situation on TeamBlue and enter the portal. 

Mark me down as someone who is very intrigued by next year's class. Sincere Parker will play significant minutes from day 1, and should serve as a good option for consistent offense. His film from the JUCO level showcase a strong shooter and scorer, who should slot in nicely as a starter or off the bench. I'm not entirely sure how much Kramer and Thames will contribute, but their long-term potential is quite high. When local players commit, I'm inclined to believe they are the best option for Travis' vision, because there are a lot of players to choose from that would gladly play for this staff. 

2 hours ago, bauman said:

You list Yuri but remember Yuri wasn't YURI when he was being recruited

3star_recruit likes this

26 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You list Yuri but remember Yuri wasn't YURI when he was being recruited

Skip, you better watch your back.  72 is going to be looking you 😉.

Actually while Yuri wasn't ranked as high as J Good or HF, I included him in the group because my recollection is that we were really hard after him needing a PG with his skills.  Part of the reason he wasn't ranked as high as JG and HF had been, was that he was injured for a good part of his senior year.  After he got healthy he excelled for St Mary's in the State Tournament, in fact shooting better than he has so far at SLU, although it sounds like he has regained his shooting touch heading into this year.  All of the guys I listed came in as starters (Nesbitt will) who were much needed to contribute immediately, not 2-3 years after arriving at SLU.

slufanskip likes this

59 minutes ago, bauman said:

Skip, you better watch your back.  72 is going to be looking you 😉.

Actually while Yuri wasn't ranked as high as J Good or HF, I included him in the group because my recollection is that we were really hard after him needing a PG with his skills.  Part of the reason he wasn't ranked as high as JG and HF had been, was that he was injured for a good part of his senior year.  After he got healthy he excelled for St Mary's in the State Tournament, in fact shooting better than he has so far at SLU, although it sounds like he has regained his shooting touch heading into this year.  All of the guys I listed came in as starters (Nesbitt will) who were much needed to contribute immediately, not 2-3 years after arriving at SLU.

It took me 3 min and 16 seconds of watching Yuri to know we had someone special. I have been taking up his case pretty strongly the last 2 years. I'm someone that wouldn't turn down more scoring from Yuri but still think he's a difference maker at the point if his scoring average never got above 8 ppg. 

20 hours ago, slufanskip said:

It took me 3 min and 16 seconds of watching Yuri to know we had someone special. I have been taking up his case pretty strongly the last 2 years. I'm someone that wouldn't turn down more scoring from Yuri but still think he's a difference maker at the point if his scoring average never got above 8 ppg. 

I remember watching that video and saying the same thing.  I recall thinking that I didn't care if he wasn't highly recruited, I wanted him to be a Billiken.

slufanskip likes this

I expect Travis will get more local highly rated recruits like Nesbitt when they decide the bright lights have dimmed once they get to their P5 destinations. I can't recall the kid's name who went to UK and then ticked off Calipari, but I think he transferred out. Not sure where he ended up, although I thought maybe we might have a shot at him returning home. With the easing of the transfer rules there will be more locals like Nesbitt who may opt to play at a mid where minutes are more available. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I expect Travis will get more local highly rated recruits like Nesbitt when they decide the bright lights have dimmed once they get to their P5 destinations. I can't recall the kid's name who went to UK and then ticked off Calipari, but I think he transferred out. Not sure where he ended up, although I thought maybe we might have a shot at him returning home. With the easing of the transfer rules there will be more locals like Nesbitt who may opt to play at a mid where minutes are more available. 

Can Fletcher is at Florida State. Not exactly basketball Siberia 

33 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We were in on Nesbitt the whole time, he just chose Memphis over us.  IMO, those are the kids we have a shot at.  The Cam Fletchers of the world who crave the high major spotlight have a bunch of high major transfer options if their first choice doesn't work out.

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Can Fletcher is at Florida State. Not exactly basketball Siberia 

The FSU coach does a great job of getting his top 10 players a lot of minutes for that big a rotation. I believe his strategy/game plan is to just wear down his opponent by constantly running in subs who are very talented. So, I'm sure Fletcher will likely get his share of minutes in that system. 

I also think Nesbitt may have had his pick of P5's if he so desired. Not saying they'd be Duke or UNC, but Illinois was hot after him, and I'll bet Cuonzo would have found a spot for him as well.