SLU Basketball Media 2021/2022 Season

slufan13

41 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think the 200lb elephant in the room is Guy Philips first and foremost but that leads me to my next sentence.

I think the one thing I can point to is lack of consistency and lack of attention to detail/half a$$ed. We pay the same price per game, but they don't seem to really have a consistent script for how and when promotions occur, the fire is awesome but is there a couple games then is nowhere to be found for a month. Why they use orange and not blue and white balls to toss to the crowd, I don't understand(although I haven't been privy to what they say on them). 

To be honest @wgstl I need to go back and scour the recesses of my memories for things the cheerleaders and promo team used to do during games. Also I'll try to focus in on the gameday production more closely next home game and get a little more specific.

Everyone here knows I love what Dre brings to game days but I don't feel like he's given the tools to be as good as he can be.

It begins and ends with Guy Phillips.  We hardly ever talk about him anymore and we should.  He ruins a lot of the in game experience.  Just the fact that we retain him despite his complete incompetence poisons the rest of the production.  Even if we do something well, Guy will miss his timing, flub the intro, make an unfunny/off color joke, or not talk when he is supposed to.  Dre has taken some of this away from Guy but it still beyond acceptable how much Guy messes up game to game. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

you post filth and then call someone else childish.....unreal, you pos....oh, and as to the virus, why don't you tell us where it originated from???? are you as outraged about the Spanish Flu???

Hahahahahah mention covid and out comes the Kool Aid covid man BIG BILL FAN! Hilarious

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/calling-covid-19-the-wuhan-virus-or-china-virus-is-inaccurate-and-xenophobic/

Heres a nice academic article that explains why. Not that it'll matter to you or him.

Back to the topic at hand. Dre has added so much to the GameDay production. He really gives it a major college feel compared to the Crews years. I hope he stays for a long time. I met alot of great people in the ath department during my time at SLU so it's hard for me to rag on them. I personally think it's solid and have heard on more than one occasion this year "new" fans walking out saying how great of a time they had and that they will be back. But as a fairly recent grad I can tell you that many of my friends (slu grads) couldnt care less about SLU basketball. I've been a young alumni season ticket holder since 2016 and I've not once been to the bar y'all speak of so that may speak for itself (with a forward or backwards hat).  I also know I'm not that important and don't have big money to donate so I don't expect any royal treatment.

I have two main issues with SLU basketball. One is with the students but that's no one's fault. Second, I think the social media presence could be much better. Highlights and stuff for your big p5 schools are very entertaining with clean edits and stuff. SLUs have gotten much better recently but still feel a little small time to me. That's all.

Anyway winning fixes all. Just keep winning. 

Oh ya. I forgot Guy. Get him out of there too. 

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree with all these points.  You cited attendance numbers in the non-con as the result of a lack of administrative engagement with the casual fan.  I think you're making this too complicated.   

If we win over a long period of time, the attendance will pick up.  Casual fans will be more enthusiastic if you don't change a thing.  We've seen it before.  However, a game day Shangri-La experience independent of results on the court doesn't exist anywhere, at least not on a mid-major level.  

I agree that winning cures a lot. I think again my issue is with consistency and attention to detail. Everything just kind of seems hodge podge or half a$$ed. People are paying to come visit your arena you have to make sure you're planning to compensate for a potentially poor performance on the court.

3 minutes ago, thetorch said:

It begins and ends with Guy Phillips.  We hardly ever talk about him anymore and we should.  He ruins a lot of the in game experience.  Just the fact that we retain him despite his complete incompetence poisons the rest of the production.  Even if we do something well, Guy will miss his timing, flub the intro, make an unfunny/off color joke, or not talk when he is supposed to.  Dre has taken some of this away from Guy but it still beyond acceptable how much Guy messes up game to game. 

He announces Travis Ford as if he's disgusted that Ford is the head coach. 0 energy.

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Man I've been wearing backwards hats there for years. I didn't know any better and for that I apologize

Yeah and tuck in your shirt too ya deadbeats  

Haven't been to Chaifetz in a bit so I can't really comment.  But I saw they ran that family ticket special.   That's good.   Some places (schools) have dropped concession stand prices too.  Or run happy hour beer price until tip.  

A nice touch is having local businesses restaurants fare at concessions.  The Spurs do a good job with this and they do a great job with fans pumping you up as you enter the arena.  Spurs also have a kids play area,  Free NBA Jams arcade and other stuff.  Ya need the standard game crap too but some local brews, specialties T-Ravs anyone?  Would be a nice touch.  Think how all....most airports are going with a more local touch. Maybe they already do this, haven't been in a few years. 

Thinking back to the Spurs maybe SLU could do a Pepband, Baby Blue, Cheerleader exhibition in a concourse push the 50/50, kids pics with Billiken. Of course everything is constrained now. 

8 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Hahahahahah mention covid and out comes the Kool Aid covid man BIG BILL FAN! Hilarious

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/calling-covid-19-the-wuhan-virus-or-china-virus-is-inaccurate-and-xenophobic/

Heres a nice academic article that explains why. Not that it'll matter to you or him.

Back to the topic at hand. Dre has added so much to the GameDay production. He really gives it a major college feel compared to the Crews years. I hope he stays for a long time. I met alot of great people in the ath department during my time at SLU so it's hard for me to rag on them. I personally think it's solid and have heard on more than one occasion this year "new" fans walking out saying how great of a time they had and that they will be back. But as a fairly recent grad I can tell you that many of my friends (slu grads) couldnt care less about SLU basketball. I've been a young alumni season ticket holder since 2016 and I've not once been to the bar y'all speak of so that may speak for itself (with a forward or backwards hat).  I also know I'm not that important and don't have big money to donate so I don't expect any royal treatment.

I have two main issues with SLU basketball. One is with the students but that's no one's fault. Second, I think the social media presence could be much better. Highlights and stuff for your big p5 schools are very entertaining with clean edits and stuff. SLUs have gotten much better recently but still feel a little small time to me. That's all.

Anyway winning fixes all. Just keep winning. 

Oh ya. I forgot Guy. Get him out of there too. 

and where is your link to justify the filth that spewed out of your mouth, loser???? would you appreciate someone disparaging your wife on this board???? 

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

you post filth and then call someone else childish.....unreal, you pos....oh, and as to the virus, why don't you tell us where it originated from???? are you as outraged about the Spanish Flu???

it's amazing that anyone would support the filthiest of language and the disparaging of a long time poster's wife...isn't it Pistol???? i hope you're proud...i would tell you this privately, but you won't allow it...i wonder why?????

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah and tuck in your shirt too ya deadbeats  

Haven't been to Chaifetz in a bit so I can't really comment.  But I saw they ran that family ticket special.   That's good.   Some places (schools) have dropped concession stand prices too.  Or run happy hour beer price until tip.  

A nice touch is having local businesses restaurants fare at concessions.  The Spurs do a good job with this and they do a great job with fans pumping you up as you enter the arena.  Spurs also have a kids play area,  Free NBA Jams arcade and other stuff.  Ya need the standard game crap too but some local brews, specialties T-Ravs anyone?  Would be a nice touch.  Think how all....most airports are going with a more local touch. Maybe they already do this, haven't been in a few years. 

Thinking back to the Spurs maybe SLU could do a Pepband, Baby Blue, Cheerleader exhibition in a concourse push the 50/50, kids pics with Billiken. Of course everything is constrained now. 

They do some local beers I think, but I only drink occasionally at games anymore so I'm pretty locked in on my Mich Ultras when I do. Enterprise Center is running wild with the Local fare. Off the top of my head Lions Choice, Mission Taco, Tropical Liquors, Sugarfire and there's a chicken spot too I think. 

As someone who only makes it to Chaifetz sporadically from out of town, but hardly missed a game when at SLU, my feelings on the arena experience are mixed. It is a gorgeous building, has perfect sight lines from nearly every seat, and games are relatively affordable. However, the whole gameday experience feels a little sterile compared to other college arenas. The in game programing is one thing, but some of it is just the interior layout itself. A lot of the concourse feels like wasted space, and something like the HOF or murals of past Billikens would go a long way in filling out the dead zones. Truthfully though, the environment would feel a lot better if our attendance was higher. I'm not really sure how the school can grow attendance figures at this point, but some how multiple generations of Billiken alumni and supporters have to be converted into attendees. Chaifetz could become an extremely difficult place to play for opponents... if we start to have a filled building consistently. 

34 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Have you noticed the 'nuh uh' he's doing after big blocks? it isn't gus comedy hour

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

In the past 10 years I have visited all of the A10 venues except Rhode Island, Richmond, George Mason, GW, & UMass.

I can't imagine any of those places being anywhere near comparable to us.  The only places in the A10 that compete with us are VCU and Dayton.  I think we are better than them.  I think we get downgraded in the league because we are still the new guys.  Any objective list we are at minimum top 2.

Certainly there are things they could do better.

I don't like the new bar.  I don't like the exclusivity.  I also feel like they are wasting the Lorenzini space with this new area only catering to Billiken Club members.

I've alway said there just isn't a SLU feel in the arena.  Too many blank walls where we should have shrines to Easy Ed, AB, Claggs etc.

I have been to Dayton, Fordam, St. Joe's, VCU, and Butler (I know it's not an A-10 school).  The only arena that comes close is VCU, but I still think that Chaifetz is much better.  Dayton has very crowded small concourses and would be no different than some of the other terrible gyms in the conference if it were not for the several thousand extra seats its has on the sidelines that are way to far away from the action to be any good.

As far as game day experience, I think our player introductions seem far superior to other schools.  We have timeout entertainment that is probably equal.  The music played over the sound system and by the band is good.  We have decent, if not upper level for the A-10 promotions.

I think that 05's complaints are all valid, but not such important stuff that I would say someone is really failing in their job.  That being said, Roy's attack was not warranted.  We're all Billiken fans.  That's what we have in common.  There is nothing about the fact that we are all Billiken fans that means we all have to act or think or dress the same as each other.  Not necessary, Roy.

RiseOfTheBillikens and ACE like this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I've alway said there just isn't a SLU feel in the arena.  Too many blank walls where we should have shrines to Easy Ed, AB, Claggs etc.

Agree with this - SIU did a really good job with this when I was there the last time we played there 

I think they they could really benefit from lower concession prices if the goal is to have families come to every game instead of just one or two games a year.  Keep beer prices the same, but lower the prices for soda, water and snacks.  I think you could even get away with charging more for tickets if you didn't feel like you were being robbed for everything your kids wanted at the game.

I think the SLU in-game experience could be improved, but would give it a solid B+. It’s much better than it used to be.

I would give attendance a C, and decreasing. I don’t know who is to blame for the bad attendance, and I don’t think the in-game experience is the biggest reason. But if things don’t start picking up soon it’s going to be worrisome. I don’t think our non-con attendance has been this bad in a long time, if ever. Hopefully this is mainly a COVID issue and not due to any underlying larger problem.

-05 you said a few pages ago one of the things the ADept does well is fund raising but then say the Billiken Club bar is a bad idea, that bar is part of the fund raising tactics being used

-one thing I like are the programs available to all

-I think more butts in the seats would be great for the entire experience, discounting lines for restrooms and concessions, and having $45 center court upper level seats for a Wednesday game against GW isn't really a way to achieve that imo

RUBillsFan likes this

41 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I have been to Dayton, Fordam, St. Joe's, VCU, and Butler (I know it's not an A-10 school).  The only arena that comes close is VCU, but I still think that Chaifetz is much better.  Dayton has very crowded small concourses and would be no different than some of the other terrible gyms in the conference if it were not for the several thousand extra seats its has on the sidelines that are way to far away from the action to be any good.

As far as game day experience, I think our player introductions seem far superior to other schools.  We have timeout entertainment that is probably equal.  The music played over the sound system and by the band is good.  We have decent, if not upper level for the A-10 promotions.

I think that 05's complaints are all valid, but not such important stuff that I would say someone is really failing in their job.  That being said, Roy's attack was not warranted.  We're all Billiken fans.  That's what we have in common.  There is nothing about the fact that we are all Billiken fans that means we all have to act or think or dress the same as each other.  Not necessary, Roy.

Dayton's concourses are a little better since the renovation, if you haven't been back since then. There are certain structural limitations, though, so they're still pretty cramped on the ends/corners.

Duquesne also did that recent renovation that I'd like to see. Not sure if I'm going to be able to swing that at the end of the month or not, though.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm just not sure I get what people are wanting when they come to a basketball game. I'm probably just old and out of touch. I wouldn't care if Busch III was ever built except to get rid of turf. I go to a sporting event to watch the sporting event. I get the younger crowd is different. 

Same here.  I go for the game.  I could care less about promotions, pre-game bar tabs, who the announcer is, concessions, half time entertainment, or who sits next to me.

Give me a Billiken W and I go home happy.

AGB91, slufanskip, BrockL and 1 other like this

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think they they could really benefit from lower concession prices if the goal is to have families come to every game instead of just one or two games a year.  Keep beer prices the same, but lower the prices for soda, water and snacks.  I think you could even get away with charging more for tickets if you didn't feel like you were being robbed for everything your kids wanted at the game.

Blame Delaware North for this. They have the concession contract. They also do the Cardinals. Don't know about the Blues