SLU Basketball Media 2021/2022 Season

slufan13

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Did we, though?

I haven't been to enough A10 arenas to know. Dayton has between 3,000 and 4,000 extra seats, so It's bigger but it's older and the concourse is narrow on the ends, so lines get pretty long. Maybe a slightly better beer/food selection? Better merch, for sure.

I've been to Bonaventure and it's not even comparable. Same with Loyola, which will be here soon enough.

The plan is to get to Richmond for our game in late February so I can report back.

Pretty sure I don't need to have been to a game at La Salle or Fordham to know we've got them beat.

I haven't been to the others but some of them seem stale to me from what I can see of the facilities. I would say top third is a safe bet, even though we could do better.

I haven't been to all the arenas either.  But based on what I've read on other A10 message boards, my sense is that the Chaifetz experience was about middle of the pack years ago and is top 4 in the conference now.  But you wouldn't know it from reading this thread.

billiken_roy and Pistol like this

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

graduated in 2007 and started my journey as a season ticket holder.

spent countless dollars on merchandise, $50/game beers when I drank, traveled across the country to watch the team (KC, Las Vegas, NYC, etc), attended pre and post game parties, golf tournaments, all NCAA appearances...

but never really felt appreciated.... its all to cater the inner circle.... just saying 

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe someday you'll get to have a drink at that unicorn bar at Chaifetz you pine for so much.   here's a hint though, when that day comes, turn your hat around.  

Man I've been wearing backwards hats there for years. I didn't know any better and for that I apologize

dlarry and willie like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

looks better than a 30+ year old man wearing his hat backwards like an 8th grader. 

05 fuok your wife or something? He made valid points and this is your response. Incredibly childish post. I'm embarrassed for you. 

Then again I wouldn't expect any different from someone who continually uses Chinese flu virus. 

11 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Go Bills

-come on, this post has no place in this thread, if you can't throw out a strawman or otherwise be insulting or stupid then just sit this one out

-the time will come (my goodness I hope it does) when a positive post to derail the lunancy is appropriate

Basketbill likes this

They have the Cards and Blues in their own yard. You would think that the AD or someone else who cares about athletics would ask them for advice on how to build a fanbase. It’s frustrating, because I believe the city wants to see them become better than they’ve been. There’s no NFL in St. Louis anymore, so from October to April or May the Bills and Blues are the only winter sports in town. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

what more do you want the athletic department to do?   the students get all the giveaways.   the students are the ones selected for most of the time out promotions on the floor.    the billikens already have a new fan ticket plan.   they play all the worthless piped in music that only a 20 something or less could appreciate.   the video during introductions is definitely geared towards the younger fans.   please tell us what more do you want?

This may be your best post ever!!  Yes our generation has lost touch with these kids, but they have lost touch with us also. 

BIG BILL FAN likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Pretty sure I don't need to have been to a game at La Salle or Fordham to know we've got them beat.

Fordham uses a 4 x 8 folding table on the court for their concession stand, I was BLOWN away by this. 

cgeldmacher likes this

59 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

graduated in 2007 and started my journey as a season ticket holder.

spent countless dollars on merchandise, $50/game beers when I drank, traveled across the country to watch the team (KC, Las Vegas, NYC, etc), attended pre and post game parties, golf tournaments, all NCAA appearances...

but never really felt appreciated.... its all to cater the inner circle.... just saying 

I didn't attend SLU.  Have never donated money to the school.  But have gone to 90% of games since 1995, including away games every other year.  Sure I could do more, as anyone, but agreed on little to no appreciation. 

NextYearBill likes this

20 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Game production is still pretty low rent. It's not really on par with programs we would like to be similar to. 

What exactly do you mean by game productions/ what would be better?

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Fordham uses a 4 x 8 folding table on the court for their concession stand, I was BLOWN away by this. 

Like the West Pine Gym when the women's team still played there. Rose Hill was built in the same era, just five years later. Could never have predicted our modern snack bar needs a century ago.

(By the way, Cameron Indoor Stadium is 20 years newer than the WPG but looks kinda like it on the outside and had similar elements inside. Obviously bigger, nicer, significantly renovated, etc., but just saying.)

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

05 fuok your wife or something? He made valid points and this is your response. Incredibly childish post. I'm embarrassed for you. 

Then again I wouldn't expect any different from someone who continually uses Chinese flu virus. 

you post filth and then call someone else childish.....unreal, you pos....oh, and as to the virus, why don't you tell us where it originated from???? are you as outraged about the Spanish Flu???

billiken_roy and AGB91 like this

In the past 10 years I have visited all of the A10 venues except Rhode Island, Richmond, George Mason, GW, & UMass.

I can't imagine any of those places being anywhere near comparable to us.  The only places in the A10 that compete with us are VCU and Dayton.  I think we are better than them.  I think we get downgraded in the league because we are still the new guys.  Any objective list we are at minimum top 2.

Certainly there are things they could do better.

I don't like the new bar.  I don't like the exclusivity.  I also feel like they are wasting the Lorenzini space with this new area only catering to Billiken Club members.

I've alway said there just isn't a SLU feel in the arena.  Too many blank walls where we should have shrines to Easy Ed, AB, Claggs etc.

33 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What exactly do you mean by game productions/ what would be better?

I think the 200lb elephant in the room is Guy Philips first and foremost but that leads me to my next sentence.

I think the one thing I can point to is lack of consistency and lack of attention to detail/half a$$ed. We pay the same price per game, but they don't seem to really have a consistent script for how and when promotions occur, the fire is awesome but is there a couple games then is nowhere to be found for a month. Why they use orange and not blue and white balls to toss to the crowd, I don't understand(although I haven't been privy to what they say on them). 

To be honest @wgstl I need to go back and scour the recesses of my memories for things the cheerleaders and promo team used to do during games. Also I'll try to focus in on the gameday production more closely next home game and get a little more specific.

Everyone here knows I love what Dre brings to game days but I don't feel like he's given the tools to be as good as he can be.

wgstl likes this

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I don't like the new bar.  I don't like the exclusivity.  I also feel like they are wasting the Lorenzini space with this new area only catering to Billiken Club members.

BANG HE GOT IT.

The Blues and Cardinals very much cater to the every man. SLU arena experience comes off the opposite of that. I think both stadiums do a pretty good job of "hiding or not being flashy about" the amenities that aren't available to every fan. Lorenzini's is a great spot in a great location of Chaifetz. Flaunting an exclusive Billiken Club only area on the concourse is a little tacky.

hmart23 likes this

I have to chime in here. I haven't had season tickets for a few years but my experience dealing with SLU is the opposite of many of you. My only gripe ever was that sometimes I thought Chris May was a bit standoffish. 

I didn't go to SLU but was a Billiken Club member for years and had season tickets for a long time. I was always treated as a valued fan from everyone involved. From road trips with the team, game days and Billiken banquets. In fact many times SLU employees went out of their way to assist or welcome me to whatever the event was. I really couldn't ask for much better. 

As far as game day feel, what are people wanting?  I always thought it was great. What are we not doing that we could do to make it better? It's a basketball game, not a circus. 

willie likes this

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I have to chime in here. I haven't had season tickets for a few years but my experience dealing with SLU is the opposite of many of you. My only gripe ever was that sometimes I thought Chris May was a bit standoffish. 

I didn't go to SLU but was a Billiken Club member for years and had season tickets for a long time. I was always treated as a valued fan from everyone involved. From road trips with the team, game days and Billiken banquets. In fact many times SLU employees went out of their way to assist or welcome me to whatever the event was. I really couldn't ask for much better. 

As far as game day feel, what are people wanting?  I always thought it was great. What are we not doing that we could do to make it better? It's a basketball game, not a circus. 

Skip, I think this view is a little out of date. But more so I think that when you have a program struggling to fill half the arena in the non-conference you have to focus on what you can do to make the game experience memorable (outside of the action on the court because that can't be controlled) for everyone, not just people who can afford Billiken Club membership. I'm sure the Billiken Club experience is great, but I don't think that's the gripe here. I think it's the experience for those who are new to the Billiken games or casual observers. I don't think the AD cares about those people.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Skip, I think this view is a little out of date. But more so I think that when you have a program struggling to fill half the arena in the non-conference you have to focus on what you can do to make the game experience memorable for everyone, not just people who can afford Billiken Club membership. I'm sure the Billiken Club experience is great, but I don't think that's the gripe here. I think it's the experience for those who are new to the Billiken games or casual observers. I don't think the AD cares about those people.

I'm just not sure I get what people are wanting when they come to a basketball game. I'm probably just old and out of touch. I wouldn't care if Busch III was ever built except to get rid of turf. I go to a sporting event to watch the sporting event. I get the younger crowd is different. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Skip, I think this view is a little out of date. But more so I think that when you have a program struggling to fill half the arena in the non-conference you have to focus on what you can do to make the game experience memorable for everyone, not just people who can afford Billiken Club membership. I'm sure the Billiken Club experience is great, but I don't think that's the gripe here. I think it's the experience for those who are new to the Billiken games or casual observers. I don't think the AD cares about those people.

I guess my question is, what are Dayton and VCU doing to make the game experience special for their fans?  Because their fan support is the gold standard for the conference.  I suspect it has to do more with them winning over a long period + being the number one sports option than anything else.

Just now, slufanskip said:

I'm just not sure I get what people are wanting when they come to a basketball game. I'm probably just old and out of touch. I wouldn't care if Busch III was ever built except to get rid of turf. I go to a sporting event to watch the sporting event. I get the younger crowd is different. 

I hear you, I go for the same reason. The goal for gameday presentation should always be: Did the attendees have the best possible experience and the most possible fun even if the Billikens lose by 15-20 points. In a lot of ways game day presentation should be completely divorced from the on court entertainment.

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

I guess my question is, what are Dayton and VCU doing to make the game experience special for their fans?  Because their fan support is the gold standard for the conference.  I suspect it has to do more with them winning over a long period + being the number one sports option than anything else 

I don't think they are apples to apples comparisons to SLU.

I haven't been to Dayton in close to a decade and never VCU but I think they are in a bit of a different position compared to SLU.

VCU is a 22,000 undergrad school. Richmond is home to just 2 division 1 Basketball teams, an Eastern League Baseball team and a USL League One team. So really the only entertainment options in Richmond in Fall/Winter are College basketball or Football. VCU is also a school that draws heavily from the Richmond area, alumni tend to stay in the area. 

With Dayton they don't have the same local student pull but they and Wright State really are the only winter games in town. The only other sports they have are the Dayton Dragons baseball and Dayton Dutch Lions Soccer. Dayton has positioned themselves well as THE biggest thing in that city. Nobody thinks about Wright State outside of Ohio. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't think they are apples to apples comparisons to SLU.

I haven't been to Dayton in close to a decade and never VCU but I think they are in a bit of a different position compared to SLU.

VCU is a 22,000 undergrad school. Richmond is home to just 2 division 1 Basketball teams, an Eastern League Baseball team and a USL League One team. So really the only entertainment options in Richmond in Fall/Winter are College basketball or Football. VCU is also a school that draws heavily from the Richmond area, alumni tend to stay in the area. 

With Dayton they don't have the same local student pull but they and Wright State really are the only winter games in town. The only other sports they have are the Dayton Dragons baseball and Dayton Dutch Lions Soccer. Dayton has positioned themselves well as THE biggest thing in that city. Nobody thinks about Wright State outside of Ohio. 

I agree with all these points.  You cited attendance numbers in the non-con as the result of a lack of administrative engagement with the casual fan.  I think you're making this too complicated.   

If we win over a long period of time, the attendance will pick up.  Casual fans will be more enthusiastic if you don't change a thing.  We've seen it before.  However, a game day Shangri-La experience independent of results on the court doesn't exist anywhere, at least not on a mid-major level.