SLU Basketball Media 2021/2022 Season

slufan13

54 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

As I said earlier the signal for KMOX ranges far beyond STL. I don’t listen much to AM radio anymore, except for Rammer and the games, but for sure the daytime signal stretches to Jeff City and Columbia. Chances are there are a large number of Chief fans in the signal footprint. 

I would be interested to see the ratings for KMOX for Bills games and compare that to Chiefs games. 

There r more people in the state from L Sullivan blvd to Kansas St line care about the Chiefs than private catholic local d1 hoops team. 

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, almaman said:

There r more people in the state from L Sullivan blvd to Kansas St line care about the Chiefs than private catholic local d1 hoops team. 

that's fine.   so i understand kmox's priorities.   i dont understand slu's priorities letting us be second fiddle.   there are plenty of strong radio stations in st louis for billiken fans that we dont have to hop around the dial depending on some other sport team's schedule.   

50 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that's fine.   so i understand kmox's priorities.   i dont understand slu's priorities letting us be second fiddle.   there are plenty of strong radio stations in st louis for billiken fans that we dont have to hop around the dial depending on some other sport team's schedule.   

I disagree. While KMOX is nothing like it use to be it is still better than almost every other news/sports station. Having a SLU spot every Sunday Morning at 1030  is a plus. Missouri is on 55 so there aren't that many options. We left ESPN for some reason. Best option is KMOX. How many times are we being bumped anyway ? They are also carrying  the lady Bills. 

almaman and RUBillsFan like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

What other station would make sense? Like willie mentioned, Mizzou is already on 55 and 101 ESPN meant SLU playing second fiddle. There's 590 KFNS, but that station is in ownership limbo, so not sure it would make sense for SLU to go there. 

24 minutes ago, BrockL said:

What other station would make sense? Like willie mentioned, Mizzou is already on 55 and 101 ESPN meant SLU playing second fiddle. There's 590 KFNS, but that station is in ownership limbo, so not sure it would make sense for SLU to go there. 

Even with all the attention we get from Frank on his 10:00 a.m. show on 590, that is the last station we should want carrying our games.  You can't even pick up their weak signal in many parts of south and west county.

RUBillsFan likes this

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

Even with all the attention we get from Frank on his 10:00 a.m. show on 590, that is the last station we should want carrying our games.  You can't even pick up their weak signal in many parts of south and west county.

I've had it cut out on Big Bend in front of head quarters when it was there.

45 minutes ago, willie said:

I disagree. While KMOX is nothing like it use to be it is still better than almost every other news/sports station. Having a SLU spot every Sunday Morning at 1030  is a plus. Missouri is on 55 so there aren't that many options. We left ESPN for some reason. Best option is KMOX. How many times are we being bumped anyway ? They are also carrying  the lady Bills. 

what you are saying that kmox is holding us hostage we either agree to let them when they see fit and there is nothing better to broadcast the billikens or we dont get any interviews/shows on their rambling sports shows?   i couldnt care less.   i rarely if ever listen to kmox for programming any more but i was listening to the post game of the billikens.   come out sunday and im hearing a replay of the touchdown some mahomes guy just threw and no earl.   no rammer.   that's b.s.   like i said, i dont hold kmox repsonsible.   if they dont think we are worth it, it's their business.   but i do hold slu responsible for making us have to search for the coverage.  that's not serviciing their fan base at all.  

Just now, willie said:

I don't know how long you have been around this program but I have for a long time and I don't think our management has ever been better. 

i agree, doesnt mean they should be exempt from criticism.  

I don't have any issue with SLU going to KMOX.  It made the most sense when the Blues went to 101.1 FM.  We needed to avoid getting preempted by the Blues much more than we needed to avoid getting preempted by the Chiefs.

My issue is with KMOX's decision to put the Chiefs on instead of us.  Some are suggesting that it gets KMOX better ratings because their signal stretches out to mid Missouri.  I don't buy that.  Most of KMOX's advertisers are local.  Why would a local local car dealer, mortuary, investment adviser, etc. care if KMOX gets people listening in mid Missouri.

If its a contractual issue they can't get out of, I guess I understand, but I would hope that KMOX's priority, outside of a preexisting contractual requirement, be to SLU.

This is something a little communication should be able to solve. Slubillikens.com should know what station will actually air the game and it should be noted loudly when it’s anything other than 1120. Also the Post game day article should make it clear. The PA announcer could also inform the in game crowd. The post game show will not be on kmox. Please tune to xxxx to hear Ranmer and Earl. 

HenryB likes this

51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That doesn’t make it good. I am assuming we’re talking AD as a whole. 

So what's not good or at least ok? I know you don't like the volleyball coach. The baseball facilities need an upgrade but I believe that is on their radar. Game management seems pretty good. Half the student body is on the dance team. New soccer building. O'Loughlin building. Almost all games on TV. What' s your *****? 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

I don't know how long you have been around this program but I have for a long time and I don't think our management has ever been better. 

I have been around the program since some years after meeting my second wife, something like 2011. This is not a lot of time compared to some of you. If management was worse in earlier times, then it must have been pretty bad long ago.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have been around the program since some years after meeting my second wife, something like 2011. This is not a lot of time compared to some of you. If management was worse in earlier times, then it must have been pretty bad long ago.

Same question as I had for 05,whats your complaint? 

25 minutes ago, willie said:

So what's not good or at least ok? I know you don't like the volleyball coach. The baseball facilities need an upgrade but I believe that is on their radar. Game management seems pretty good. Half the student body is on the dance team. New soccer building. O'Loughlin building. Almost all games on TV. What' s your *****? 

The bold are all fundraising which I said is the one thing Chris May excels at. Baseball is happening this spring, Hendrickson said so on the podcast. 

Game production is still pretty low rent. It's not really on par with programs we would like to be similar to. 

Sure basketball and soccer are always available. SLU still lacks the technology to run more than one fall stream at a time. Volleyball matches were on ESPN+ less than a handful of times this season because they don't have the tech or infrastructure. They don't have enough streaming computers or whatever you use for it and if they did they have to lug it from Chaifetz to the Baseball/Softball stadium because there is no press box that can be locked up. 

The Billiken Hall of Fame is literally invisible unless you know where to go looking for it.

Merchandising is still a joke at Chaifetz. Speaking of jokes, you ever seen the pizza offered at the concession stands, hilarious. 

Another issue: the 1818 Bar on the concourse is monopolized by the Billiken Club prior to every game. That place is perfect to get people to hang out before a game and kill time while spending money on booze. You can't even get to the bar if you're not in the Billiken Club. Why not move the Billiken club food and sh!t to the non-bar side and make the bar available to everyone? Billiken Clubbers can migrate back and forth to get their booze.

The whole Chaifetz experience is really targeted to people who are already ingrained financially with the University where as I would like to see it aimed more at converting or retaining first time and casual attendees to consistent fans.

I guess my overarching gripe is that there's not a lot of attention to detail when it comes to Chaifetz experience. There's no real focus on making it memorable or stand out among entertainment options in the area.

RUBillsFan and rgbilliken like this

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So all the A10 postponements are SLU’s fault? 

I think the issue is that they have to follow too many regulatory sources at the same time (St. Louis, SLU's own, A10, etc) and then try to find a way to fit into the same types of issues, but different due to location and league, for other schools they are playing. I have no doubt other schools have similar, maybe worse, problems with this.