SLU Basketball Media 2021/2022 Season

slufan13

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford recap 11/4/21 on 101ESPN

- Regarding losing Goodwin/French. Tough to lose any senior but especially two guys who have so much leadership and impact. Plus losing Perkins to a tough injury. But that's part of the game

- It's been a tough week having lost Perkins. He's worked so hard in the offseason. Gained 20 lbs of strength. Feels so bad for him. But the team has to pivot. We did so much to get Perkins shots. Now we will be looking at different options. Not just one person. Has to be done by committee. But we can do that. Love the challenge. Timing not great. Have to make sure each opportunity in practice/games to learn and get better

- How do you get so many new faces to play together so quickly. With all the transfers in college and turnover of roster, it's difficult to develop that culture and chemistry. Fortunate to have Collins, Thatch, Hargrove, Jimerson having been in the program so long. They will teach the new guys the culture. Culture develops chemistry. Thatch and Collins will have to have a great presence in the lockerroom. 

- We went a whole season without eating a meal together. Never all in the lockerroom together. Back in as a group. Enjoying team bonding. Not back to 100% normal but real close. Last year put a strain on any team's culture

- On Ford Stuen. It's been difficult. Some days better than others. He had such a presence especially this time of year. Any time there's a "first" (practice, game) it's hard. Family is supporting each other. Courtney and Penn have been around the team. It's been difficult. Plan to honor Ford before Tuesday's game. Get to the game early. Going to do some special things for Ford. Courtney and Ford's mom and dad and Ford's friends will be there. Going to be special. 

- On there always being "something" in his seasons at SLU. Nobody said it's easy. I tell our guys this is part of life. This prepares you for real life. Playing college basketball isn't "real life". These things are real life situations. Try to use them to learn from and be stronger. Not make excuses. Build relationships and memories of a lifetime. The goal is to go out and win games but use this opportunities to be stronger.

Coach on KMOX this AM.  https://www.audacy.com/kmox/podcasts/sports-on-a-sunday-morning-307 

He starts at 17 min in the podcast. 

He starts every practice with 'catch the ball'.  Two guys standing across from each other, one chest passing the other bounce passing to each other.

Have to re-identify the team without Goodwin/French/Perkins.  It will take some time to figure out the rotations and how to score. 

Didn't get much out of the first exhibition.  We were very inconsistent in the second one. Didn't play well defensively in the first half.  Changed up in the second half and the focus was better.  First year guys have to understand you can't take any plays off.

The offense will start with the success of Collins. His first job is being an elite defender and to run our team.  His scoring will be up and down.  His passing becomes contagious.  We need passing as a weapon, it needs to be a strength of our team.  We need to give up a good shot to get a better shot.

Okoro took 7 months off last winter.  He is still knocking off rust.  He is understanding the system better.  (All newcomers aren't picking up the system as well as the coaching staff hoped.)  Okoro will be needed for defense and to score around the rim.

Nesbitt, typical of all freshmen, it takes time to learn the system.  A big thing with Nesbitt is consistency.  He has a chance to be "really, really good."

Three games in four games to start the season. This is the first time in Coach's career this has happened.   The Harris Stowe game with the last minute add on. 

slufan13 and NH like this

Coach was on KMOX this morning.  Not much that hasn't already been covered elsewhere.  Just a few notes:

Coach was pleased, very pleased, with defense in the first half of EIU.  He is using these early games to develop depth, getting as many guys in the game with double digit minutes.

Pleased with Linssen and Okoro.  Both have been very efficient. 

The key to replacing Perkins is to be more efficient by committee.  Jimerson's improved mid range game is the result of his hard work.  Likes Jimerson getting to the FT line.

Memphis game:  They are very deep.  Had 9 guys in before the first media break.  They have experience plus an elite recruiting class.  Memphis will be one of the top 5 in defensive stats by the end of the year. They try to turn you over, turning defense into offense.. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.101espn.com/episode/slu-mens-basketball-head-coach-travis-ford-5/

This morning on 101, Thursday.

Too much talk, for me, on the Ford Bobble Head giveaway.

Auburn game stacks up as a 'good win'.  Auburn has best freshman in the country, Smith.  Three to four of the Auburn players have NBA potential.  Our guys kind of know some of them through AAU ball.  Focusing on game plan.  Averaging 83 ppg, with a better defense.

Team took Sunday off.   Practiced 8 AM on Monday.  Took Tuesday off.  Coach was out recruiting Monday and Tuesday.  Got back to normal practice on Wed, just getting up a sweat.  Today they will dive into the game plan.

Coach said Yuri knew he had a couple of bad games, but they didn't talk about it much.  As BC tried to get physical, Yuri kind of 'turned it on'.  Coach - most teams are going to do that, trying to minimize his touches.  Our guys know that if you are open, Yuri will find you.

Thinks the BC game was the best game played this year.  We need 8 to 9 guys to show up, every night.  We aren't good enough to win with some players having off nights. Focus is on playing hard all the time.  Nesbitt is coming around where we can run more plays for.  Coach likes the two inside guys, their combined stats are a little better than what he anticipated.

Well, Coach was on KMOX this morning.  He credited Auburn with slowing us down with their press.  Okay.  Also mentioned missing FT's down the stretch as being critical.

In practice, they practiced 'taking it to them'.  It showed on the rebound totals.  Gave Hargrove huge credit for guarding Smith, as well as his offense. 

Said Linssen could not have come back with his ankle. 

Auburn used their bigs to slow Yuri down. 

Drake, said Coach, is the oldest team in America.  They have 5th and 6th year players.  Top 25 preseason, but not there now.

using the press is a weak excuse.   with an excellent point guard like yuri getting by the first trap should be the norm not the exception.   and anyone that has played the game knows you beat that first trap, you have quite the advantage if you push it.   

sure there might have been turnovers, but we had turnovers anyway.  particularly when we got desparate deep in the shot clock.   maybe if we dont get deep in the shot clock it actually helps our turnovers?  

i dont know.  but this slow down crap doesnt cut it imo. 

drkelsey55 and kmbilliken like this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

using the press is a weak excuse.   with an excellent point guard like yuri getting by the first trap should be the norm not the exception.   and anyone that has played the game knows you beat that first trap, you have quite the advantage if you push it.   

sure there might have been turnovers, but we had turnovers anyway.  particularly when we got desparate deep in the shot clock.   maybe if we dont get deep in the shot clock it actually helps our turnovers?  

i dont know.  but this slow down crap doesnt cut it imo. 

You know what lead to fewer turnovers and improved shooting in the game for the Billlikens, coming out in the second half and playing at a much faster pace.  When we stopped that with about 8 minutes to go the turnovers picked up again and shooting percentages went down again.

7 hours ago, brianstl said:

You know what lead to fewer turnovers and improved shooting in the game for the Billlikens, coming out in the second half and playing at a much faster pace.  When we stopped that with about 8 minutes to go the turnovers picked up again and shooting percentages went down again.

-I agree, so why do we see it and our sideline doesn't?  makes me wonder

brianstl likes this

• 2 weeks later...

-I was able to rewind on the KMOX site so here's a brief rundown, I agree a worthwhile listen

-we do mandatory testing, most programs do not

-didn't have enough healthy bodies to go to UMass, practice on Thursday was 4 on 4 and played CForte to get 5 on 5 Friday, CFord said "players" came out of protocol on Sunday morning

-Markhi going to play more at the 4, wished he had played him more on Sunday

-said crowd was terrific and proud of the effort from all on the team

-RW was away for 18 days including a death in the family

-JGood was home when he got news of call-up as Wizards had a break, he wants to be great and after the team had a bad game against Seton Hall things changed for the better with JGood (sophomore year), he takes tough coaching

-LaSalle postponed and doesn't look likely for a replacement as don't want 3 road games in a row

-Martin has come a long way on recovery but not yet ready to go, up to him, does more every day

-TJ is fine, practiced today

-CFord not happy with rebounding and defense, getting out rebounded is unacceptable and 69 points allowed is too many, we have shown elite defense and rebounding and expects it, ball screen defense will be the concentration this week

-non-con was strange for the league, Davidson best NET and they were picked 5 or 6, Mason a surprise, RI is really good through transfers, SVU really good, VCU on pause and got pg back, league is up for grabs, at large will require 15-3 or 16-2 which will be hard, FU really improved with transfers, portal will change everything and every night in the league is tough, STB has great support

-they talked about difficult and interesting places to play and CFord mentioned his good friend Richard Pitino at New Mexico, CFord never coached or played at Duke, UNC or IU  

i didnt hear but doesnt the chiefs have a contract to broadcast with kmox?   my guess is the contract with the chiefs takes priority.  

17 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-non-con was strange for the league, Davidson best NET and they were picked 5 or 6, Mason a surprise, RI is really good through transfers, SVU really good, VCU on pause and got pg back, league is up for grabs, at large will require 15-3 or 16-2 which will be hard, FU really improved with transfers, portal will change everything and every night in the league is tough, STB has great support

I am glad Coach Ford is being realistic unlike some fans. 

Crewsorlose likes this

29 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I am glad Coach Ford is being realistic unlike some fans. 

That's about what it takes to win the league with the 18 game schedule, 15-16 wins. If we were to do that it would mean winning some tough road games and putting us squarely in the at large conversation. However, it is unlikley we get an 18 game schedule.

15 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Very sad that the NFL, and specifically an NFL team that is not in St. Louis, is a higher priority than the local college basketball team.

When the Billikens went to KMOX, the contract between the Chiefs and KMOX that gave the Chiefs priority over college games was already in place.

Just now, brianstl said:

When the Billikens went to KMOX, the contract between the Chiefs and KMOX that gave the Chiefs priority over college games was already in place.

which is why we should have never went to kmox.  having to search every game for the right channel is frustrating.   we should not be taking a backstreet to any other program/sport whatever channel we are associated with.   it is important to me that when i get to my vehicle after the game i can flip on the radio and hear the postgame in progress not have to channel search to find.  

HenryB, StlBills, bauman and 1 other like this

21 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Very sad that the NFL, and specifically an NFL team that is not in St. Louis, is a higher priority than the local college basketball team.

As I said earlier the signal for KMOX ranges far beyond STL. I don’t listen much to AM radio anymore, except for Rammer and the games, but for sure the daytime signal stretches to Jeff City and Columbia. Chances are there are a large number of Chief fans in the signal footprint. 

I would be interested to see the ratings for KMOX for Bills games and compare that to Chiefs games. 

billiken_roy likes this