GDT : Lindenwood

wgstl

18 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I’ve been harping on this a bit ever since news of Bell transferring broke.  Okoro and especially Linssen have been very foul prone during their careers.  French was much better at avoiding fouls.  Even though our depth inside was similar in number of bigs in recent years, it is much different this season.

I thought about this today at the game. I wish Bell had stayed.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Thanks for the takeaways. Regarding point #5, Okoro fouled out 4 times in the 66 games he played with Oregon...he started two-thirds of those games and averaged 15 minutes of PT. When it comes to fouling, he's not exactly the next Tom Frericks.

Love the TF drop. That boy could throw back a beer for each foul after a game.

VeniceMenace likes this

5 hours ago, bauman said:

It seems like Jimerson has regressed.  I would have thought at this point he would be hitting 3-4 from the arc plus a couple of 2 pointers.  Is he not shooting well or is it an issue with minutes of play?  With JP out we need GJ to be a constant threat from outside.

I think the coaching staff is pushing him to score in these games without shooting a lot of threes. Makes sense.

13 hours ago, bauman said:

Here's another question for those who were there.  I saw Stu's tweet about FT JR. in dbl figures then later I saw the box score and clearly we need him to be a lot better than his stats from this game.  19 minutes with 2 rebounds, he needs to be a team leader and 2 per 19 minutes doesn't cut it.  0 for 3 from the arc - maybe he shouldn't be shooting from there and 0 for 3 from the FT line and I think 3 TOs.  Hopefully he was just pressing with JP out and trying to do too much.

Also, 0 for 2 from the arc for Gibson.  He needs to take more shots than that and learn how to get fouled since I think he is one of our best FT shooters.  As a team, I think we were 30% from the arc-again need to be much better especially given the quality of opponent.  Ford needs to come up with a way to get GJ more shots from deep.  Crazy thought, how about a few plays and/or screens to get our best 3 pt shooter some 3 pt shots?

I wasn't at the game, but these stats need to be much better. 

I am not sure why you believe Fred will be a leader in rebounds.  He is only 6'3 and has never been a prolific rebounder.  I would be happy with some consistency out of Fred's shot and defense without any of the brain fart turnovers or hand check fouls away from the basket that he has been prone to in years past.

1 hour ago, Billfan7 said:

I am not sure why you believe Fred will be a leader in rebounds.  He is only 6'3 and has never been a prolific rebounder.  I would be happy with some consistency out of Fred's shot and defense without any of the brain fart turnovers or hand check fouls away from the basket that he has been prone to in years past.

I think he had the tools to be a good rebounder at that size, juts hasn’t shown it. 

I didn't see the game but based on the box score, I would say that Jimerson scoring 8 points while making no 3s is an encouraging encouraging of development rather than regression. He's going to make 3s during the season but if he can score in other ways, he can replace some of Perkins' scoring

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I didn't see the game but based on the box score, I would say that Jimerson scoring 8 points while making no 3s is an encouraging encouraging of development rather than regression. He's going to make 3s during the season but if he can score in other ways, he can replace some of Perkins' scoring

Agreed. It’ll be easier for Jimerson to snag his shooting form we know he can have rather than gaining an aspect of the his game he hasn’t shown in good quantities. Right now he’s showing a new dimension, when he finds his confidence from 3 he’s going to be a dangerous threat.

I think there’s room to be critical of Jimerson but I think we have to remember that Jimerson had a pretty damn significant injury in 2019. He lost a lot of development, practice and game time. These guys are elite athletes but it’s still a massive ask to recover from any major injury and regain prior form. 

Thatch has already proven he's a good rebounding guard.  He averaged 8.7 rebounds per 40 min last year.  If he played 30 min a game, he'd be a 6 rebound per game guy.  But it's a moot point because he won't play starter minutes over the long-term due to his limited offense.  

Littlebill likes this

It's only two data points, and the two points are exhibition games.

Collins leading scorer at 13.5 ppg and 9.0 apg.

Hargrove and Jimerson both at 11.0 ppg.  TJ leads the team in rebounding at 8.0 rpg

Okoro is at 9.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg.  Linssen is 8.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg. Combined our paint players are 17.5 ppg and 11.5 rpg.  That works.

Nesbitt is 8.5 ppg and 6.0 rpg.  We need that, plus a little more.

On three point shooting, Hargrove is 3 of 7, Jimerson 2 of 8, Nesbitt 2 of 2, and Williams 2 of 6. 

I'm not sure Thatch will lead the team in rebounds.  I think / hope that for us to be our best Okoro will lead in rebounds.  That means he's getting his offense & defense is earning him a decent amount more playing time than Linssen & he's avoiding foul trouble.  That being said, Thatch leading in rebounds isn't crazy.  He lead the entire A10 in offensive rebounding percentage last season.

51 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

twice he went backdoor and made reverse layups.  he got called for a charge going hard to the basket once.  of course we dont want him getting charges, but i think it shows a different mindset than we saw last year.    jimmerson is doing more to contribute than he has at any point in his billiken career imo.  i want yuri to start looking for him.   i almost question if he isnt being ignored when he is open.    

-the first half was bad but the second was better

-most of GibJim's shots were with him moving and if he only shot two 3's then the each rimmed out so were close to going in, but it's about making

-our bigs need to reduce their tendency to commit fouls and grab rebounds not just swat it around

-CFord was rather animated yesterday, certainly more in the first half but a couple times in the second, don't become Izzo, coach

-Yuri is a stud, plain and simple, he might just will us to a couple of wins we wouldn't otherwise get

-it appeared JPerk was in good sprits, that was good to see, gosh I wish he was healthy (and that he comes back next season)

-I liked 11 turnovers against Rockhurst better than the 13 from yesterday

-starts for real in eight days, a lot of cleanup for the guys between now and then

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-the first half was bad but the second was better

-most of GibJim's shots were with him moving and if he only shot two 3's then the each rimmed out so were close to going in, but it's about making

-our bigs need to reduce their tendency to commit fouls and grab rebounds not just swat it around

-CFord was rather animated yesterday, certainly more in the first half but a couple times in the second, don't become Izzo, coach

-Yuri is a stud, plain and simple, he might just will us to a couple of wins we wouldn't otherwise get

-it appeared JPerk was in good sprits, that was good to see, gosh I wish he was healthy (and that he comes back next season)

-I liked 11 turnovers against Rockhurst better than the 13 from yesterday

-starts for real in eight days, a lot of cleanup for the guys between now and then

Coach Ford coached very angry yesterday. Got really pissed at TJ early in the first half for not blocking out and controlling a couple of rebounds. To his credit he was very positive to him after his good second half. 

3 hours ago, willie said:

Coach Ford coached very angry yesterday. Got really pissed at TJ early in the first half for not blocking out and controlling a couple of rebounds. To his credit he was very positive to him after his good second half. 

Good. Can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.