Perkins Torn ACL

slufan13

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is by no means me trying to assign blame to anyone, but I question whether some people's frame and build are the way they are for a reason.  I wonder if all the added weight and muscle he put on somehow contributed to what happened.

Do we have someone on the message board who can give us an 8 paragraph answer basically telling us it’s 50/59

Littlebill and NH like this

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is by no means me trying to assign blame to anyone, but I question whether some people's frame and build are the way they are for a reason.  I wonder if all the added weight and muscle he put on somehow contributed to what happened.

It's a legitimate question. Not sure if there is any science behind it or studies supporting this but I don't think it's a coincidence that those Porter kids, SPUMAC hacks and vegans, both shredded their knees. Pretty sure the younger one tore his ACL twice. I think their sister did as well. What we do to our bodies and what we put in our bodies makes a difference. 

Having said that, whether it's true or not won't bring JP back for the season :( 

12 hours ago, CBFan said:

It was right in front of me I think it happened on a rebound because he was under the basket.  There was an opposing player next to him and I see him go down.

I recall it being a dribble drive on the left side of the basket at the width of the key

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

You have a point but I don't think the amount of weight he put on confirms this theory. If we saw Javonte at 230 then I'd be fully on board with the idea. 

I said in the private practice I attended that he clearly put on weight but I was concerned that none of it seemed to be in his lower body because I thought it may leave him prone to injuries. If I could've chosen I would rather it have all gone to his lower body and none to his torso because that would've complemented his game much better. Blame me for jinxing it. 

18 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Many are non contact. I had a complete tear in a non contact move playing basketball. I never had mine fixed. I had a meniscus tear also and spent so much time rehabbing that before they would do the ACL I opted not to. It’s much different now. Mine was 1994

My experience was similar. I tried snow skiing in middle age and tore both my ACL and MCL in one knee from an awkward twisting tumble. The doctor thought they were complete tears but we decided to take a conservative approach, so no surgery, just a brace for several weeks. They repaired themselves and the knee works fine, although I'm no athlete so I don't put lots of strain on it.

5 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

My experience was similar. I tried snow skiing in middle age and tore both my ACL and MCL in one knee from an awkward twisting tumble. The doctor thought they were complete tears but we decided to take a conservative approach, so no surgery, just a brace for several weeks. They repaired themselves and the knee works fine, although I'm no athlete so I don't put lots of strain on it.

My ACL was a complete tear but I just couldn’t keep missing work going to rehab I now need knee replacement but I don’t know if I would have anyway. The odds of me moving quickly to re injure it were small. Mine happened with 2 min left in a Y league game chasing down a guy on a break. 

44 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Do we have someone on the message board who can give us an 8 paragraph answer basically telling us it’s 50/59

Prepping that now. Thanks for the request. Can I go over 8 paragraphs though?

27 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

More likely, you have scar tissue acting like an MCL and the posterior cruciate ligament is providing enough support to stabilize your knee in low stress situations. Completely torn ligaments don’t grow back together, or heal themselves as you say.

Is it possible for Perkins to get a waiver and return for next year or is that not possible because this was a "Covid" year?  If his goal is truly the NBA, his best bet would be to come back and contend for A10 POY.  He will be rusty if even healthy for NBA work outs next summer and the G-league is a long road.  Here's hoping JP is back in Billiken Blue next year.  Get well soon, JP.  Go Bills.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

It's all physics at the point when he lands. I don't remember enough from my physics class 40 years ago to fully explain it, but it really depends on the position the body is in when he lands. I haven't seen the play to see what happened but if a player is off balance leaning left for example, and his trunk is flexed forward over the landing leg, the forces placed on the knee joint at impact can be enough to snap the ligament. The thigh wants to keep moving forward but the lower leg is in contact the floor and the sheer forces are too much for the ligament to hold.

It's actually a wonder to me that way more injuries like this don't occur. The body is made of some very tough stuff but every ligament and tendon has its point of overload.

i am pretty sure God was not an athlete.   if he was, surely he would have come up with a better design for these joints.  

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am pretty sure God was not an athlete.   if he was, surely he would have come up with a better design for these joints.  

When you are all powerful and have an army of angels to do whatever you want, there is no need to be athletic. As far as design goes, anyone that can design the whole Universe does not have to worry about better knee designs.

39 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Is it possible for Perkins to get a waiver and return for next year or is that not possible because this was a "Covid" year?  If his goal is truly the NBA, his best bet would be to come back and contend for A10 POY.  He will be rusty if even healthy for NBA work outs next summer and the G-league is a long road.  Here's hoping JP is back in Billiken Blue next year.  Get well soon, JP.  Go Bills.

He has one year left

I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised to see JP in a Billiken uniform again, but if he can convince himself it's a better path to the NBA than foreign ball and he sees the value in graduating with a Masters or better from SLU then maybe it'll happen. 

And maybe he just wants his chance to prove what he was ready to do for us this year. 

Scoop likes this

38 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised to see JP in a Billiken uniform again, but if he can convince himself it's a better path to the NBA than foreign ball and he sees the value in graduating with a Masters or better from SLU then maybe it'll happen. 

And maybe he just wants his chance to prove what he was ready to do for us this year. 

I'm not necessarily counting on JP to come back, but I wouldn't be totally surprised.  IMO it is unlikely we'll even get a sniff from NBA teams as an training camp invite coming off an ACL tear much less actually make an NBA roster.  We just witnessed first hand how difficult that process is with Goodwin.  His choices would be to play hope to make a G League roster as an unaffiliated player & make an impact, go play overseas, or come back to SLU.  Based on a KSDK piece on Perkins, I recall him being pretty close to his mom.  I could see him not wanting to go overseas even though that might be the most lucrative option.  That leaves G League or coming back.  Since he already came back once (sort of), maybe he still thinks having a great season at SLU is his best NBA chance.

Scoop likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Very true. What was (S)/He thinking?

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I often ponder this.  Why do football players blow their ACLs with way more frequency (even non-contact) than say tennis players or for than matter basketball players? More weight shifts and cutting in both of those latter sports.  However, football players usually “bulk up” with muscle mass and also have added weight from equipment.  Who knows…. I’m sure there’s a study out there somewhere.

6 minutes ago, WeBsTa03 said:

I am pretty sure that will be Fred Thatch. He has been around a lot longer than anyone and i thought he was taking graduate level classes now. I could be wrong.

Fred is doing just fine for himself.  He is taking grad level studies, playing basketball, and running his own apparel business. When he graduates he will go for bigger and better things. This guy is a real achiever.

WeBsTa03 likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not necessarily counting on JP to come back, but I wouldn't be totally surprised.  IMO it is unlikely we'll even get a sniff from NBA teams as an training camp invite coming off an ACL tear much less actually make an NBA roster.  We just witnessed first hand how difficult that process is with Goodwin.  His choices would be to play hope to make a G League roster as an unaffiliated player & make an impact, go play overseas, or come back to SLU.  Based on a KSDK piece on Perkins, I recall him being pretty close to his mom.  I could see him not wanting to go overseas even though that might be the most lucrative option.  That leaves G League or coming back.  Since he already came back once (sort of), maybe he still thinks having a great season at SLU is his best NBA chance.

Should be a really interesting decision.  He is really close with his mom but he also considered declaring for the draft this past summer.  I think it was just to get feedback from scouts and coaches on his game.  

Ford on A10 media day. Man, he looks down but putting a positive spin on JP and Stuen as much as he can. You can tell he’s hurting but putting on a good face. 

His words
We have to pivot and we will. We’ll have to get back to more smash mouth than they had planned. Will stress rebounding. We lost 20pts a game. Let’s be real not easy to replace. He’s talking a lot about Nesbitt. As for leadership looking to Yurimania, Fred, Linssen, and TJ. JP will be treated like an AC. We can’t allow us to feel sorry for ourselves. 
commentators are saying no team has suffered more adversity than SLU in the last year. 

Yuri and Fred up now: 

THEIR WORDS: 

Yuri it’s life. Fred building up Roby as an AC. 
Fred’s really well spoken. 
On transfer- Jones is a good player. 
You can tell their down- very understandable.