Perkins Torn ACL

slufan13

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Having not seen it, was this injury at all related to him playing down to competition? Haven't really heard how it happened.

Nope. It was a typical basketball play 

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Having not seen it, was this injury at all related to him playing down to competition? Haven't really heard how it happened.

Not at all. Perkins was driving towards the basket and then all of a sudden went crashing down to the floor. Looked like one of those non contact type of knee injuries as he struggled to get up and the fans could hear him yelling in pain. He then hobbled off of the court thru the tunnel behind the opposing team’s bench before the trainer could even leave the bench.

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Not at all. Perkins was driving towards the basket and then all of a sudden went crashing down to the floor. Looked like one of those non contact type of knee injuries as he struggled to get up and the fans could hear him yelling in pain. He then hobbled off of the court thru the tunnel behind the opposing team’s bench before the trainer could even leave the bench.

Thanks.

#JimersonSzn

12 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

It was right in front of me I think it happened on a rebound because he was under the basket.  There was an opposing player next to him and I see him go down.

Get well soon JP and come back stronger with another year of a good college education and a lot of love from the hometown fans.

I am so sorry that this happened to Perkins.

This team is loaded. Some players are going to grow a ton. My heart goes out to JP. This dude put everything into SLU basketball and I’m gutted.  I believe the Billikens are still going to win THIS YEAR, and I can’t wait even though this definitely sucks. 

Feel for him. This changes his whole life. He had a shot at a big last year, making some noise, and maybe getting a shot similar to Goodwin. Now he is going to be rehabbing and working five times as hard with a lot less of a stage to get that same shot. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

3 Star has been telling us that Nesbit can be our best player. Hope he’s right because he’s going to get the opportunity. 

i agree.  while he may not be mature enough in coach's eyes to step in, imo he is the only player on the roster that has the god given ability and potential to equal what perkins was likely to give us.   time to grow up jordan.  spotlight is coming your way.  

Coach314 likes this

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Can a medical professional explain what causes a torn ACL, in Perkins situation? It looks like a non contact landing from a jump that he has done thousands of times.

It's all physics at the point when he lands. I don't remember enough from my physics class 40 years ago to fully explain it, but it really depends on the position the body is in when he lands. I haven't seen the play to see what happened but if a player is off balance leaning left for example, and his trunk is flexed forward over the landing leg, the forces placed on the knee joint at impact can be enough to snap the ligament. The thigh wants to keep moving forward but the lower leg is in contact the floor and the sheer forces are too much for the ligament to hold.

It's actually a wonder to me that way more injuries like this don't occur. The body is made of some very tough stuff but every ligament and tendon has its point of overload.

Per the Mayo Clinic:  The Anterior Cruciate Ligament, one of the strong band of ligaments that join the femur to the tibia, sustain injuries commonly during sports that involve sudden stops and changes in direction, jumping, and landing.  Most people report hearing a "popping" sensation in the knee and the knee may swell , feel unstable and become too painful to bear weight.  

The injury is usually cause by 1) suddenly slowing down or changing direction, 2) pivoting with your foot firmly planted, 3) landing awkwardly from a jump, 4) stopping suddenly, or 5) receiving a direct blow to the knee such as a football tackle.  

There is no known way to measure the strength of an ACL --- when it goes, it's kind of a freak of nature or caught in the moment.  Gayle Sayers career was ended by the "ugly triad" --- a tackling injury in football where his foot was planted and the crush of the tackle tore the ACL, the PCL and the meniscus.  Plus reconstructive surgery in the 60's wasn't what it is today.  Tom Brady lost his ACL when low-tackled in the pocket while with the Patriots.  Nick Sherrod tore both ACL's in successive years just at practice.  Shite happens.  I tore mine while "tripping over the half court line at age 40."  But it's obviously not solely age-related.  I was surprised Saquon Barkley didnt do it again when he suffered the recent ankle sprain against the Cowboys.  

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Can a medical professional explain what causes a torn ACL, in Perkins situation? It looks like a non contact landing from a jump that he has done thousands of times.

Many are non contact. I had a complete tear in a non contact move playing basketball. I never had mine fixed. I had a meniscus tear also and spent so much time rehabbing that before they would do the ACL I opted not to. It’s much different now. Mine was 1994