Review of the Rockhurst game

The Wiz

As this was an exhibition game ...no spread or forecast.

Post game there are not a whole lot of conclusions you can draw.  As a Div II team Rockhurst is not in our league.

But there are still numbers to look at.  Let's look at a few.

First the slash.....43.5% /57.5 /24.1 / 65.4....raw slash....30-69 /23-40  /7-29 / 17-26

Graded slash.........C..../....A+ / F-  /   F+

Again this is an exhibition but a few things stand out in this game...We can shoot 2's but not 3s...hopefully the 3s will improve as the year progresses....also we still seem to be weak at the FT line...again, hopefully this too improves.  

If our numbers stay high inside the arc we will have to shoot much better from the 3 pt line to justify taking the extra risk of the 3 pt shot. For instance, if we were to continue to shoot at 57.5% from 2pt range , we would have to shoot 38.3% from 3. ( an A+ rate from the arc)  I don't expect us to continue to shoot at 57.5% going forward but it is not unthinkable to say we will be a good shooting team inside the arc. This means we will have to be more selective in 3s ...either by taking better 3s or being more selective as to who takes the 3s.  Just something to think about going forward.

Overall , an entertaining game except for the Perkins injury.

The main take away from this exhibition was........To go see the kids play. 

Bottom line......LOUPOU......Lots Of Upside Potential    Outcome Unknown

CBFan likes this

that inside the arc % might have been high because we did push the ball and got a lot of break outs.    opponents that stop that and make us play more possessions half court will bring that number down.  the thirst to make threes will maybe put williams in the rotation.   personally i'd prefer to keep running and pushing the tempo and make layups and dunks.

Roy, we look good every year when running and pushing the tempo against teams like Rockhurst.  If every team on our schedule was Rockhurst, that is definitely the way to go.  The problem is that our new guys play in these early games and think that this is just like AAU where everyone plays like that.  Then they get into a real game against a real opponent and struggle looking like chickens running around with their heads cut off (which by the way, they looked like several times last night against an inferior opponent).  I was finding myself wishing last night that Ford would have instructed them not to do that for about ten minutes and just work on the half court offense.

SLU1818 likes this

Here is my brief observation from the Rockhurst game for the new and newish players. 

Okoro - I can see where the excitement comes from, freak athlete. At this point in time, Linssen is slightly ahead of him. 

Williams - Dude just lets it fly. That NBA 3 he hit was fun.

Nesbitt - EXH game so I wont be too harsh, but he seemed like he wants to rack up highlight reels, and plays a more AAU style.  Also hope Rockhurst kids were the first one talking smack to him, because idk how I feel about a high recruit talking smack to a small d2 school. But, he should be the backup PG to Yuri

Lorentsson- Hes about 20 lbs from seeing regular playing time.  He's more of a perimeter player than Jimerson is. 

Strickland - a high flyer, that's really about all as of right now. 

Jones- Hes what we thought he would be, a more polished Phil russell for that 3rd PG spot.  Nesbitt should be the 2nd PG. 

Traore - better than Diarra.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Roy, we look good every year when running and pushing the tempo against teams like Rockhurst.  If every team on our schedule was Rockhurst, that is definitely the way to go.  The problem is that our new guys play in these early games and think that this is just like AAU where everyone plays like that.  

Just posted about this, Nesbitt 100% played like he had college coaches in to see his AAU game

10 hours ago, The Wiz said:

As this was an exhibition game ...no spread or forecast.

Post game there are not a whole lot of conclusions you can draw.  As a Div II team Rockhurst is not in our league.

But there are still numbers to look at.  Let's look at a few.

First the slash.....43.5% /57.5 /24.1 / 65.4....raw slash....30-69 /23-40  /7-29 / 17-26

Graded slash.........C..../....A+ / F-  /   F+

Again this is an exhibition but a few things stand out in this game...We can shoot 2's but not 3s...hopefully the 3s will improve as the year progresses....also we still seem to be weak at the FT line...again, hopefully this too improves.  

If our numbers stay high inside the arc we will have to shoot much better from the 3 pt line to justify taking the extra risk of the 3 pt shot. For instance, if we were to continue to shoot at 57.5% from 2pt range , we would have to shoot 38.3% from 3. ( an A+ rate from the arc)  I don't expect us to continue to shoot at 57.5% going forward but it is not unthinkable to say we will be a good shooting team inside the arc. This means we will have to be more selective in 3s ...either by taking better 3s or being more selective as to who takes the 3s.  Just something to think about going forward.

Overall , an entertaining game except for the Perkins injury.

The main take away from this exhibition was........To go see the kids play. 

Bottom line......LOUPOU......Lots Of Upside Potential    Outcome Unknown

I understand that you threw the "not a whole lot of conclusions you can draw" caveat in at the beginning, but I don't think it can be emphasized enough that this was an exhibition game (and the 1st exhibition game at that), so the numbers are essentially meaningless.

Rockhurst had little / no rim protection, so we dominated inside.  We also forced a much of turnovers & got out in transition, so our 2 pt FG % was great.  We shot poorly from 3 pt range in this particular game, but I don't necessarily expect us to be any worse from 3 than last season.  Regardless of Perkins health, we have the game or more guys who are decent/good shooters that will get playing time on the roster this season than last season.  I'd say the same thing about FT shooting, this game was likely an aberration, we shouldn't be any worse than last year given the track record of guys expected to get playing time.  

Depending on Perkins status, we’re going to need others to man up, so says Captain Obvious. Not sure we can judge from one exhibition game who are the most likely candidates. For sure Jimerson will be looked to score more. I was hoping for better reports on Nesbitt, but he’s still just a FR. I feel making up the scoring shortfall, after Jimerson, will have to come mostly from Williams. He is a proven D1 scorer, his game vs  MSU still has me in awe, so I’d guess he’s going to be our 6th man when points are getting hard to come by. Was hoping Nesbitt might be a mini Perkins, but based on what you folks are reporting from last night, he might not be there just yet. Other than Jimerson and Williams who else might be ready to fill out the scoring column? 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Roy, we look good every year when running and pushing the tempo against teams like Rockhurst.  If every team on our schedule was Rockhurst, that is definitely the way to go.  The problem is that our new guys play in these early games and think that this is just like AAU where everyone plays like that.  Then they get into a real game against a real opponent and struggle looking like chickens running around with their heads cut off (which by the way, they looked like several times last night against an inferior opponent).  I was finding myself wishing last night that Ford would have instructed them not to do that for about ten minutes and just work on the half court offense.

I’m in agreement. The fastbreaks are exciting. It doesn’t let me know about our half court offense tho. I was wishing to run more set pieces. Especially, when the game is out of hand so early on.

The one aspect of. Nesbit last night was his hustle and intensity was off the chart.   That kind of effort is rare imo 

cgeldmacher and stmdragons like this

I think the idea that Nesbit was disappointing is misplaced. He looked a little nervous to start and forces a few things but settled down and impressed me. he is very athletic and has a great basketball build. He appeared to be the second best ballhandler on the team. If and I do mean if Perkins can't go for awhile we will see a lot more of Nesbit and TJ on the floor together. 

7 minutes ago, willie said:

I think the idea that Nesbit was disappointing is misplaced. He looked a little nervous to start and forces a few things but settled down and impressed me. he is very athletic and has a great basketball build. He appeared to be the second best ballhandler on the team. If and I do mean if Perkins can't go for awhile we will see a lot more of Nesbit and TJ on the floor together. 

totally agree.    imo nesbit showed pretty well.   he exhibited skills and traits only once in a lifetime players can do.   what was rough was a shot and patience.   the patience will come with coaching and experience.  the shot is anyone's guess.   but imo he is the goodwin replacement at the very least.   i wouldnt be surprised how good this kid turns out.   the best trait was his effort, intensity and hustle.   the kid doesnt take time off.   couple that with that incredible athleticism and desire to play he's a winner.   just give him some time.   

in the same sense, i think the same can be said about okoro.   the fact that these two might end up by march as our two best players says a lot about this roster's depth and potential imo.   i remain pretty darn excited for the billikens.

NH, brianstl and drkelsey55 like this

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

totally agree.    imo nesbit showed pretty well.   he exhibited skills and traits only once in a lifetime players can do.   what was rough was a shot and patience.   the patience will come with coaching and experience.  the shot is anyone's guess.   but imo he is the goodwin replacement at the very least.   i wouldnt be surprised how good this kid turns out.   the best trait was his effort, intensity and hustle.   the kid doesnt take time off.   couple that with that incredible athleticism and desire to play he's a winner.   just give him some time.   

in the same sense, i think the same can be said about okoro.   the fact that these two might end up by march as our two best players says a lot about this roster's depth and potential imo.   i remain pretty darn excited for the billikens.

I have seen Jordan Nesbitt be a knockdown shooter in games before. I loved Jordan Goodwin, maybe my all time favorite Billiken, but I never saw him show the ability to shoot that Nesbitt has shown before (in flashes). If Nesbitt can really match the tenacity and nose for the ball of Goodwin like you describe, he has the ability to be a special, special player here.  

1 minute ago, NH said:

I have seen Jordan Nesbitt be a knockdown shooter in games before. I loved Jordan Goodwin, maybe my all time favorite Billiken, but I never saw him show the ability to shoot that Nesbitt has shown before (in flashes). If Nesbitt can really match the tenacity and nose for the ball of Goodwin like you describe, he has the ability to be a special, special player here.  

i actually thought nesbit's shot was far more inconsistent than at anytime in goodwin's career.   nesbit's shot was a different release, trajectory, spin, etc every time he let it fly.   i always thought goodwin's form looked fine, but his arch was terribly in consistent and his selection opportunities were not the best.   but from a strictly mechanical look, i'd take freshman goodwin slightly over last night's nesbit.  but as i said above there wasnt much else he didnt do as good or better than everyone on the team.  one time he was trapping on the bench side of the floor the ball was reversed, the rockhurst player took a dribble up the cross court side of the floor went to reverse his progress and was met by nesbit who had sprinted across the floor to stunt on a trap.   it was beautiful.   i am big fan of that defensive technique and loved seeing it.   

twice he came from behind to block shots on help defense and his head was by the rim and his arm up near the square.   wow.  

he had an in the lane pass late in the game that if i hadnt seen him throw it and collins was out of the game, i would have sworn it was a yuri pass.   

my point is, just because nesbit didnt score 40 points, there is nothing to get down about.   he's a player.  it's just a matter of time. 

willie likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i actually thought nesbit's shot was far more inconsistent than at anytime in goodwin's career.   nesbit's shot was a different release, trajectory, spin, etc every time he let it fly.   i always thought goodwin's form looked fine, but his arch was terribly in consistent and his selection opportunities were not the best.   but from a strictly mechanical look, i'd take freshman goodwin slightly over last night's nesbit.  but as i said above there wasnt much else he didnt do as good or better than everyone on the team.  one time he was trapping on the bench side of the floor the ball was reversed, the rockhurst player took a dribble up the cross court side of the floor went to reverse his progress and was met by nesbit who had sprinted across the floor to stunt on a trap.   it was beautiful.   i am big fan of that defensive technique and loved seeing it.   

twice he came from behind to block shots on help defense and his head was by the rim and his arm up near the square.   wow.  

he had an in the lane pass late in the game that if i hadnt seen him throw it and collins was out of the game, i would have sworn it was a yuri pass.   

my point is, just because nesbit didnt score 40 points, there is nothing to get down about.   he's a player.  it's just a matter of time. 

I can't comment for consistency, but he was a deadeye shooter in the open practice

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Just to refresh everyone’s memory, Goodwin shot 0-12 in his first real college game. I can’t remember him before that. Most likely, Nesbit just had jitters and knew it, and only shot 6 times (1-6). That is technically better in some ways than Goodwin, right off the bat.