GDT: Rockhurst

Bills By 40

Alright… positive vibes. 

its going to be ok.

there was an article last night on stltoday that said

Perkins left the arena on crutches after spending the second half in the locker room and said he felt pain when he was injured but was not experiencing any as he left for the night. He is expected to undergo further testing Wednesday morning.” 

so let’s cross the bridge when we come to it.

someone said there was a picture of it, but I wasn’t able to find it (albeit, it was not a strong effort on my part to find it)

CBFan likes this

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

rockford was so much less talented.   we could have beat them by a hundred points and held them under 10 if we played all out and kept the starters in.  so not a lot of what we saw last night can be gospel.  imo it can change a lot when we see an even match up.

speaking of starters, i was surprised by linssen starting.   but he showed he deserved the opportunity.   he and yuri were imo the two best players on the floor last night.   both appeared so much more prepared and did the jobs we wanted.   we are really lucky with our inside situation which could have been a concern losing future billiken hof french to graduation. 

collins was spectacular.   great passes we expected, scoring we likely didnt.   but most impressive is i thought he played better on the ball defense then we have ever seen from him.   

okoro came in and showed he is a tireless hard worker.  rebounding and defending.   i loved french, but okoro might be french upgraded.   his offense has some work to do, but this guy is a player imo.

yuri's backup situation is a little more murky.   jones did fine in a carlos mccauley sort of way, but he is far from being yuri.   in a real game, i suspect if yuri is out we will go to nesbitt who handled the point most of the last 5 minutes.   nesbitt is pretty darn good with the ball and sees the floor well.  had some really nice passes.   

besides his point duties, nesbitt played pretty much every position on the floor.   he rebounds and he plays hard.   he is imo goodwin's replacement.   he didnt start last night and imo that was the right decision.   his shot is very inconsistent mechanically and he has a tendency to rush the game.   did i tell you how hard nesbitt plays?    might have had the best effort on the team last night.   and that is saying something because the main 8 or 9 guys got it and they all play hard.  i feel nesbitt will be a star, but he has some work to do with how he approaches offense and of course that shot.   but he is going to be fun to watch.  count on it.  

what appeared to be the most improved player from last year was jimerson.   in warmups if he missed more than 2 shots i missed it.   he played really well and worked for himself to find openings and opportunities.   he played very good defense and got after it.  one steal he had led to a length of the court drive and finished with a dunk.   at this time, i say jimerson has to start.  which is saying a lot considering all the options we have on the wing.  

thatch played hard as we expect and he was right there with okoro as the rebounding stud.   he just does stuff right and we lose nothing when fred thatch is in the game.   man i got a feeling deciding who are our wings is going to be harder as the year goes on.  

if jimerson isnt the most improved, hargrove is.   he no longer is the lost puppy wandering around the court on defense.   and he is active on offense and got his dunks and open 3's.    having that kind of athleticism out there is huge.  

perkins was perkins when he was in.   we have no question marks about him if he is healthy.   we just have to pray he is ok.  

imo those are our rotation players.    i can see williams maybe getting into the rotation.   he made a few nice 3's, but it seemed he isnt on the same intensity level as the above players.   he has work to do imo to be a serious PT player.  but what a luxury to have a skilled shooter like that so far down the list.  

the rest imo once we get through the buy games are likely practice and blow out players.   considering lorentson showed he can shoot it and strickland showed he is an athlete in the same class as hargrove and nesbitt, it only reflects the depth the team has.   traore might turn into a player as he has length and he too is an athlete, but he is obviously far behind okoro and linssen and it will take both of them being out for his to see the floor once we get past buy games. 

jones might be better than russell but unfortunately for him this roster is so strong he isnt going to see but spot appearances as well imo.   

band had masks on their horns.   wow.   i've seen it all now.   fun night. and i think we are in for a fun year.  

Bang on analysis.  The only thing I would add is Nesbitt’s aerial defense is sublime. Guy plays D three meters off the ground. Spectacular blocks. Looks like a fricking T Rex setting up for a meal when his man goes to the hoop. 

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

If it’s a torn medial collateral ligament, he could be back by the start of conference play. If it’s more than that, it’s most likely out for the season. Hoping for the best for Javonte.

Depends on the grade of the tear, but I'm hoping it's just an MCL tear/strain.  He could be back playing at pretty much full speed in a month.  

billikenbill likes this

6 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Depends on the grade of the tear, but I'm hoping it's just an MCL tear/strain.  He could be back playing at pretty much full speed in a month.  

I had a slight tear in my MCL and was back slamming beers and hitting dingers on the slow pitch softball field 2 weeks later.

Since this is obviously the same level of competition as high end D1 hoops 1 don’t see why it would be any different for Perkins.

Either way Mr. Perkins has my T and Ps. 

Last night at the game, after the Perkins injury had me in a bad place, I commented that Nesbitt's offensive game did not seem very polished.  I still stand by that, but when I got up this morning I remembered that I thought the same thing about Jordan Goodwin after his first few games.  He seemed to turn out okay.  Outside of not being "polished" offensively, everything about Nesbitt's game last night was worthy of us being excited.  His defensive was outstanding.  His rebounding was good.  He showed flashes of being able to be the primary ball handler and set guys up, although that was mainly in transition.  If he improves his shooting over time, he will have all the tools to be a superstar in my opinion.

billiken_roy likes this

12 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Last night at the game, after the Perkins injury had me in a bad place, I commented that Nesbitt's offensive game did not seem very polished.  I still stand by that, but when I got up this morning I remembered that I thought the same thing about Jordan Goodwin after his first few games.  He seemed to turn out okay.  Outside of not being "polished" offensively, everything about Nesbitt's game last night was worthy of us being excited.  His defensive was outstanding.  His rebounding was good.  He showed flashes of being able to be the primary ball handler and set guys up, although that was mainly in transition.  If he improves his shooting over time, he will have all the tools to be a superstar in my opinion.

Goodwin went 0-12 from the field in his first game against Seattle and 1-6 from the field in his second game against Rockhurst.

RUBillsFan likes this

2 hours ago, BilliKat said:

Alright… positive vibes. 

its going to be ok.

there was an article last night on stltoday that said

Perkins left the arena on crutches after spending the second half in the locker room and said he felt pain when he was injured but was not experiencing any as he left for the night. He is expected to undergo further testing Wednesday morning.” 

so let’s cross the bridge when we come to it.

someone said there was a picture of it, but I wasn’t able to find it (albeit, it was not a strong effort on my part to find it)

I’m gonna keep this in my mind all day. No pain makes me somewhat optimistic.

11 hours ago, NH said:

The Journey is the Reward - FS

The journey that is being a SLU fan is one of the most painful, least rewarding experiences of my life. 

While there are occasional respites from the agony, for the most part it's akin to being repeatedly kicked in the testicles.

How to Marie Kondo your friends - The Big Smoke

12 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

The journey that is being a SLU fan is one of the most painful, least rewarding experiences of my life. 

While there are occasional respites from the agony, for the most part it's akin to being repeatedly kicked in the testicles.

We definitely prove the old adage; if it can go wrong it will go wrong. 

My thoughts after attending the game:

I wish we would have ran more set pieces on offense. I expect to outrun such teams, which won’t be the case during the season.

I’m not as impressed by the rebounding. We missed numerous put backs and kept getting the rebound. Yes, on some level it reflects hustle…and missed opportunities. I expect to out rebound a team we are more athletic and bigger than. 

Overall, this is why there are exhibition/tune up games.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

God created the Billikens to test the faithful.

:)

BilliKat likes this

3 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Bang on analysis.  The only thing I would add is Nesbitt’s aerial defense is sublime. Guy plays D three meters off the ground. Spectacular blocks. Looks like a fricking T Rex setting up for a meal when his man goes to the hoop. 

Did you just use the metric system for a basketball analysis??  

3 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I blame the botched GDT title for the injury.

+1000 I will regretfully take the blame here 

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yeah I told my boss I can't attend a meeting this afternoon because I am awaiting vital news about a loved one

Taking a half day to sit atop the Olive garage with a cooler, my phone, and "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz on repeat. All are welcome.