GDT: Rockhurst

Bills By 40

9 minutes ago, NH said:

He probably runs the same risk of injury every day in practice. These guys play basketball basically all year round. You can’t run them into the ground but injuries are sadly inevitable.

I am sure Ford wishes he had not put him in now but since nobody has a crystal ball you do what you think is best at the moment.  What some may not realize is that you want all your players to be able to play with all the team members on the floor in a game situation - practice can not simulate the game experience.  I agree with you that this kind of injury can happen in practice and for that matter walking down the stairs.  We will just have to wait and see what the issue is - when he hobbled off the court I thought it was an ankle injury but I guess from what guys are saying it is his knee.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately this is one of the deepest teams in my memory bank. Sadly Perkins is one of the best players, especially scorers, I’ve ever seen in a billiken uniform. If the worst is true, this is the best team to have it happen to and the most unfortunate individual player. The team will be okay, and I still have an exuberant amount of hope for the season. 

It happened in the first half. Perkins played 10 minutes. He probably would've played about 10 more the rest of the game. No matter how much you're up, no matter how much you expect to win by, taking your star out after 10 minutes is not something I've seen any coach do, ever. Putting this on Ford is absurd.

44 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I guarantee you that there isn’t a single coach in college basketball who doesn’t play their stars during exhibition games. The point of these games is to warm up and start to develop some chemistry before the season begins. Freak injuries happen unfortunently. Nothing wrong with Ford

Agree.

If Ford only plays him 5 minute and he gets hurt in the first regular season game the same people are mad that Ford didn’t get him in game shape. 

It’s no win situation with some people.

This is what I make out of Perkins knee injury from what I have read. Obviously they already did an XRaY (it is easy to do right away, and probably they are equipped to do it at the Chaifetz). Since they are doing an MRI tomorrow, the likelihood of a major bone fracture is largely ruled out, they would have seen it in the XRay. What they are looking for now is a soft tissue injury which could involve the ligaments or menisci or both. Let's wait to see what they find. Did anyone notice anything abnormal about the knee as he was being taken out?

32 minutes ago, almaman said:

Ch 5 had picture of him with  his left leg folding grotesquely inward at the knee. I will be amazed if we see  him anytime  in regular season :(

Thank you almaman. A grotesque knee bend indicates an acute knee dislocation, which would be extremely painful. This is not a minor thing.

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Thank you almaman. A grotesque knee bend may indicate an acute knee dislocation, which would be extremely painful. This is not sounding like a minor thing.

All due respect Old Guy, but if he dislocated his knee he wouldn’t be able to “immediately hobble” off the court. I think if we saw a picture of the injury mechanism we may have a better idea, but just hoping for the best till we hear more tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, BuiltFordBills said:

All due respect Old Guy, but if he dislocated his knee he wouldn’t be able to “immediately hobble” off the court. I think if we saw a picture of the injury mechanism we may have a better idea, but just hoping for the best till we hear more tomorrow. 

I did not see the game or the injury, I just based that comment on almaman's post saying he had a left leg grotesquely folding inward at the knee, which means the knee is not moving within the normal range of motion. Try to explain such a knee picture otherwise. Did you actually see him getting off the court hobbling, was he weight bearing on the L knee? I did not actually see it.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I did not see the game or the injury, I just based that comment on almaman's post saying he had a left leg grotesquely folding inward at the knee, which means the knee is not moving within the normal range of motion. Try to explain such a knee picture otherwise. Did you actually see him getting off the court hobbling, was he weight bearing on the L knee? I did not actually see it.

Yeah that’s fair. Nope I wasn’t able to be there, we’re both shooting blind here.  Just in my experience you aren’t moving anywhere after a knee dislocation.  I’ll stop speculating from here though, no point in causing more relief or fear without having any info.

Lots of speculation we will all know soon enough.

Wait and see what the MRI shows it could show that there is no damage, this has happened before.

Best wishes to Perkins for his life and career.

7 hours ago, almaman said:

I'm more worried about his future than this year with us.

exactly, this is what i feared most when he said he was coming back.  an injury that might affect his future and keep him from making a living or at least keeping him from maxing out his ability.   praying he will be fine.  but he knew it was bad.   didnt even wait to head down the tunnel.  i fear this isnt good for the billikens or perkins. 

almaman likes this

7 hours ago, almaman said:

Ch 5 had picture of him with  his left leg folding grotesquely inward at the knee. I will be amazed if we see  him anytime  in regular season :(

If it’s a torn medial collateral ligament, he could be back by the start of conference play. If it’s more than that, it’s most likely out for the season. Hoping for the best for Javonte.

rockford was so much less talented.   we could have beat them by a hundred points and held them under 10 if we played all out and kept the starters in.  so not a lot of what we saw last night can be gospel.  imo it can change a lot when we see an even match up.

speaking of starters, i was surprised by linssen starting.   but he showed he deserved the opportunity.   he and yuri were imo the two best players on the floor last night.   both appeared so much more prepared and did the jobs we wanted.   we are really lucky with our inside situation which could have been a concern losing future billiken hof french to graduation. 

collins was spectacular.   great passes we expected, scoring we likely didnt.   but most impressive is i thought he played better on the ball defense then we have ever seen from him.   

okoro came in and showed he is a tireless hard worker.  rebounding and defending.   i loved french, but okoro might be french upgraded.   his offense has some work to do, but this guy is a player imo.

yuri's backup situation is a little more murky.   jones did fine in a carlos mccauley sort of way, but he is far from being yuri.   in a real game, i suspect if yuri is out we will go to nesbitt who handled the point most of the last 5 minutes.   nesbitt is pretty darn good with the ball and sees the floor well.  had some really nice passes.   

besides his point duties, nesbitt played pretty much every position on the floor.   he rebounds and he plays hard.   he is imo goodwin's replacement.   he didnt start last night and imo that was the right decision.   his shot is very inconsistent mechanically and he has a tendency to rush the game.   did i tell you how hard nesbitt plays?    might have had the best effort on the team last night.   and that is saying something because the main 8 or 9 guys got it and they all play hard.  i feel nesbitt will be a star, but he has some work to do with how he approaches offense and of course that shot.   but he is going to be fun to watch.  count on it.  

what appeared to be the most improved player from last year was jimerson.   in warmups if he missed more than 2 shots i missed it.   he played really well and worked for himself to find openings and opportunities.   he played very good defense and got after it.  one steal he had led to a length of the court drive and finished with a dunk.   at this time, i say jimerson has to start.  which is saying a lot considering all the options we have on the wing.  

thatch played hard as we expect and he was right there with okoro as the rebounding stud.   he just does stuff right and we lose nothing when fred thatch is in the game.   man i got a feeling deciding who are our wings is going to be harder as the year goes on.  

if jimerson isnt the most improved, hargrove is.   he no longer is the lost puppy wandering around the court on defense.   and he is active on offense and got his dunks and open 3's.    having that kind of athleticism out there is huge.  

perkins was perkins when he was in.   we have no question marks about him if he is healthy.   we just have to pray he is ok.  

imo those are our rotation players.    i can see williams maybe getting into the rotation.   he made a few nice 3's, but it seemed he isnt on the same intensity level as the above players.   he has work to do imo to be a serious PT player.  but what a luxury to have a skilled shooter like that so far down the list.  

the rest imo once we get through the buy games are likely practice and blow out players.   considering lorentson showed he can shoot it and strickland showed he is an athlete in the same class as hargrove and nesbitt, it only reflects the depth the team has.   traore might turn into a player as he has length and he too is an athlete, but he is obviously far behind okoro and linssen and it will take both of them being out for his to see the floor once we get past buy games. 

jones might be better than russell but unfortunately for him this roster is so strong he isnt going to see but spot appearances as well imo.   

band had masks on their horns.   wow.   i've seen it all now.   fun night. and i think we are in for a fun year.  

NoCoBillsFan likes this

7 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Yeah that’s fair. Nope I wasn’t able to be there, we’re both shooting blind here.  Just in my experience you aren’t moving anywhere after a knee dislocation.  I’ll stop speculating from here though, no point in causing more relief or fear without having any info.

Not quite, almaman said he saw him hopping out of the court on his right leg, the left leg did not touch the ground. We will know today. I think you are correct that normal people are going nowhere after a knee dislocation, but injured athletes and soldiers may be able to do it because of their physical conditioning. We will find out.

BuiltFordBills likes this