GDT: Rockhurst

Bills By 40

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

84-42 final. Hot starts the first six minutes of each half, then not much going on after that. Hope Perkins is OK. On to Lindenwood.

A few concerns looking only at the stats.  Nesbitt -3 pts in 25 or so minutes; 1/4 from 3 and 0/2 from the FT line;  Okoro looks like a HF in a small sample size from the FT line; poor 3 pt team % ; Jones zero assists; less than we expected from Fred; and maybe the worst takeaway is an injury to JP, we need him. 

Positives are TJH, GJ (although I hoped for better from the arc) Yuri ; FO 4/5 from the field and I'm probably forgetting someone.

It's hard to be disappointed with the Offense when we score 84 pts but we need to be better to be what many of us hoped for.  Let's hope we can get the shooting fixed before we play actual D 1 teams.  Maybe Nesbitt was just nervous in his first home Billiken game.

Javonte is a great representative of Billiken Athletics. I hope his injury is not serious, but if it is he will come back stronger than ever and the team will rally together to make up for his absence. We won’t know how serious it is for a day or two and IMO speculation in the meantime is unlikely to be productive.

Question for those who watched: did we play Linssen and Okoro together at all?

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Jimmerson’s got 12 and looks good.  Fred is looking hood.  Yuri is looking like an energized Yuri.  Sadly, in a small sample size, Nesbitt doesn’t look polished at all.  He hasn’t seen the floor in the 2nd half yet.

Nesbitt's shot wasn't falling but, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks and 5 assists.

The box score really tells a tale that Jimerson, Thatch, Collins, Hargrove, Nesbitt, Linssen, and Okoro have pulled ahead of everyone else at this point. We have another exhibition game to continue to drive this group into a unit. I’m omitting Perkins for obvious reasons.

Also, this group put up 84 on a fairly bad shooting night. That isn’t a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, zman said:

Nesbitt's shot wasn't falling but, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks and 5 assists.

He became the primary ball handler when Yuri was out and looked good. Made some good passes. Also one spectacular rebound over a rockhust player showing his athleticism. 

13 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Not good. 

When do we start talking about Ford’s game management in an exhibition? Injuries happen, I get that, but this is like playing a shoo-in first round NFL draft pick in a meaningless bowl game and having him go ACL/MCL combo stepping in a drainage grate. 

2 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

When do we start talking about Ford’s game management in an exhibition? Injuries happen, I get that, but this is like playing a shoo-in first round NFL draft pick in a meaningless bowl game and having him go ACL/MCL combo stepping in a drainage grate. 

I guarantee you that there isn’t a single coach in college basketball who doesn’t play their stars during exhibition games. The point of these games is to warm up and start to develop some chemistry before the season begins. Freak injuries happen unfortunently. Nothing wrong with Ford

Just now, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I guarantee you that there isn’t a single coach in college basketball who doesn’t play their stars during exhibition games. The point of these games is to warm up and start to develop some chemistry before the season begins. Freak injuries happen unfortunently. Nothing wrong with Ford

Sure, I mean the team element can also be forged during practice as well - but Ford has to know how invaluable Perkins is. Trusting he’s obviously in shape, has had multiple years within the program with the guys on the roster. We go as he goes. I get the “can’t I catch a break” look on his face, but there has to be some minutes regulating here against a DII opponent.

Just now, thatskablamo said:

Sure, I mean the team element can also be forged during practice as well - but Ford has to know how invaluable Perkins is. Trusting he’s obviously in shape, has had multiple years within the program with the guys on the roster. We go as he goes. I get the “can’t I catch a break” look on his face, but there has to be some minutes regulating here against a DII opponent.

He probably runs the same risk of injury every day in practice. These guys play basketball basically all year round. You can’t run them into the ground but injuries are sadly inevitable.

Crewsorlose likes this

6 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

I’m assuming the staff is fearing the worst?

I’d guess so. MRIs aren’t ordered just to see what’s going on. They’re ordered once a test to potentially diagnose an injury takes place with a certain result. If there’s an MRI being done, that would seemingly mean that the test done for some sort of structural knee injury came back positive.