SLU Announcement GDT

slufan13

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NH said:

I wonder when they would have announced this were it not for the Big East speculation. On one hand, I don't think this project really moves the needle for whether we would get invited to a new conference. Chaifetz remains a top tier arena, but if we're being honest SLU is still middle-of-the-pack when it comes top 100 D1 practice facilities. But if they were planning on making this announcement sometime in the coming months, it would have been foolish to delay given the ongoing conference realignment. 

In the ongoing arms race, upgrades like these aren't "transformational" as much as they are necessary. It is good to see SLU making the necessary investments (or better said, raise the necessary funds) to keep us at the table for high D1 athletics. And I think the benefits to non-basketball programs will be a big boost for SLU athletics.

This project was planned 2 years ago then COVID hit. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-thanks to the big league donors, especially the O'Laughlin family for this, CFord and CKatie seem to think it's a big deal so I'll trust their view

-pleasant news to me that we have an Athletic Committee on the BoD's 

-Chris May took directions well from DrP when ordered to 'stand up, Chris'

-yes on CFord saying some administrations in the A10 don't care about athletics, shot fired, good for him

-it looked like the Bronze Billiken that was presented wasn't the current version of The Billiken

-break ground spring 2022 and open the doors in 2023, that seems fairly aggressive

-where did this Roll Bills slogan come from?

December 31, 2023 is a 18+monts - that is not unrealistic.  Now the supply chain may be a problem for that goal.

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

SLU athletics likeing big east stuff isnt a good look imo

With Ford saying during the press conference that some A10 institutions “…just don’t care about athletics and it shows.” There must not be concerns about making SLU’s larger aspirations well known in the Athletic department. 

10 hours ago, ARon said:

With Ford saying during the press conference that some A10 institutions “…just don’t care about athletics and it shows.” There must not be concerns about making SLU’s larger aspirations well known in the Athletic department. 

I appreciate that he said that out loud. 

19 hours ago, cheeseman said:

December 31, 2023 is a 18+monts - that is not unrealistic.  Now the supply chain may be a problem for that goal.

Source of mine said by May 2023, operational for C/O '23 recruits arrival. 

Also confirmed it will be Chaifetz-adjacent filling the grassy area between the NW end (south of softball fields and main walkway to Olive garage) and overlapping into some of the Fred Weber VIP lot. 

Carter has some questionable takes but for the love of God we all do, he's great at what he does and the hustle is unparalleled in Billiken media coverage. He loves his job and that's apparent so let's show him love for what he does. That being said, @billikenfan05 to insist that any of the comments made RE: Chapley were compromising of his mental health is a big stretch. If they actually are, as another poster mentioned, being any sort of a public figure is not a healthy decision for him when PG-rated levels of criticism become life threatening. 

HoosierPal and brianstl like this

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Also confirmed it will be Chaifetz-adjacent filling the grassy area between the NW end (south of softball fields and main walkway to Olive garage) and overlapping into some of the Fred Weber VIP lot. 

Carter has some questionable takes but for the love of God we all do, he's great at what he does and the hustle is unparalleled in Billiken media coverage. He loves his job and that's apparent so let's show him love for what he does. That being said, @billikenfan05 to insist that any of the comments made RE: Chapley were compromising of his mental health is a big stretch. If they actually are, as another poster mentioned, being any sort of a public figure is not a healthy decision for him when PG-rated levels of criticism become life threatening. 

I, for the record, think this timeline is irresponsibly optimistic. I work a career that is directly related to the construction industry and I deal with supply chain and labor delays on a daily basis. I can't in good faith believe that a $25mil project in city limits will be completed in less than a year and a half's time.  

almaman likes this

29 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Were you in the YouTube chat? There’s no other description for it than abusive. No need to fire off at me. PG or not, my point remains we have a passionate Billiken alumni in the media and we’re gonna be excessively critical of him? I’ll say it over and over, this is the kind of thing that had Nate and Ben W. quit their work with BillikenReport.

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Were you in the YouTube chat? There’s no other description for it than abusive. No need to fire off at me. PG or not, my point remains we have a passionate Billiken alumni in the media and we’re gonna be excessively critical of him? I’ll say it over and over, this is the kind of thing that had Nate and Ben W. quit their work with BillikenReport.

We don't control what happens on YouTube.  If you think Carter is being unfairly criticized on this message board, however, we'll have to agree to disagree. The MBMs here are some of the mildest media critics in basketball fandom.

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We don't control what happens on YouTube.  If you think Carter is being unfairly criticized on this message board, however, we'll have to agree to disagree. The MBMs here are some of the mildest media critics in basketball fandom.

I don’t believe I ever specified the message board other than the troll Bonner89. More or less I felt like he was getting enough sh!t over there that there was no need to add on needlessly on any level.

I for one think Carter rarely gets the credit he deserves. He regularly breaks stories before our actual beat writer and puts out the most written Billiken content. Just because we don't agree with every take means he deserves the hate he gets here. I really just don't understand the negativity he gets every time his name is mentioned.

19 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I for one think Carter rarely gets the credit he deserves. He regularly breaks stories before our actual beat writer and puts out the most written Billiken content. Just because we don't agree with every take means he deserves the hate he gets here. I really just don't understand the negativity he gets every time his name is mentioned.

What I have always loved is his effort forces the other guys, Stu specifically, to work harder than they would've otherwise. Stu's content has doubled in quality and quantity alike since Carter came on the scene.  

2010andBeyond likes this

On 10/20/2021 at 3:27 PM, Bills By 40 said:

What I have always loved is his effort forces the other guys, Stu specifically, to work harder than they would've otherwise. Stu's content has doubled in quality and quantity alike since Carter came on the scene.  

Agreed!

On 10/20/2021 at 3:27 PM, Bills By 40 said:

Competition drives progress. Two of the biggest examples in sports/entertainment are the EASports vs 989, 2K or whoever else was in on the early sports video game scene and Pro Wrestling in the 90s with WWF vs WCW. You look at both of those now and fans of both complain constantly about stagnation with EA and WWF(E) being the only game in town in their respective market.