• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Query for the Board:

Who is your choice for the next Cards' Field Manager:

a.  Stubby Clapp;

b.  Skip Schumaker;

c.  Ollie Marmol.

d.  Someone else, understanding Mo already mentioned internal candidates.  Skip Schumaker is the San Diego Bench Coach, but obviously has deep Cardinal ties.

I'd take Skip, but he's a Tony guy, so while I expect him to get an interview, I doubt he gets the job.  My money is on Stubby Clapp, who was a very successful Field Manager at AAA Memphis before getting promoted to be the Cards' 1B Coach. 

Whoever is hired will be under front office control.  Mo runs this team, for better or for worse.

HoosierPal likes this

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Query for the Board:

a.  Stubby Clapp;

b.  Skip Schumaker;

c.  Ollie Marmol.

d.  Someone else, understanding Mo already mentioned internal candidates.  Skip Schumaker is the San Diego Bench Coach, but obviously has deep Cardinal ties.

I'd take Skip, but he's a Tony guy, so while I expect him to get an interview, I doubt he gets the job.  My money is on Stubby Clapp, who was a very successful Field Manager at AAA Memphis before getting promoted to be the Cards' 1B Coach. 

Whoever is hired will be under front office control.  Mo runs this team, for better or for worse.

I'd like Skip too but wouldn't mind Ollie either. So long as they don't make Yadi a player-coach like Facebook wants them to.

24 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Query for the Board:

a.  Stubby Clapp;

b.  Skip Schumaker;

c.  Ollie Marmol.

Yadi

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Inbound text, not actually heard here:  Per KMOX, Shildt wanted a different hitting coach, cut down on strikeouts, and for players to put the ball in play, reportedly confirmed with several players.  Mo disagreed.

Comment and I can't believe I'm typing this:  If true, I actually agree with Shildt.  Mo was in LA last Wed.  What did he think of all those STL RH sluggers whaling away, swinging for the fences in a pitchers' park where the ball does not carry at night, in a game when a single or two would have won the game?  Of course, Shildt's chronic Matheny-esque bullpen mismanagement was bad on the other side of the game. 

We've needed an organizational enema for years.

Stubby or Skip will be put in there with both hands tied behind his back.  Skip is a Tony guy, so I don't see him getting the job.  But stranger things have happened.

If this is true, I'd be on Schildt's side for sure. The embarrassing lack of situational hitting - especially when all what was needed was a base hit, especially when teams played the shift - drove me crazy. I love the long ball. But offenses need to take what defenses give you. Shorten the stroke, punch the ball into a wide open infield. 

Inbound text, not actually heard here:  Per KMOX, Shildt wanted a different hitting coach, cut down on strikeouts, and for players to put the ball in play, reportedly confirmed with several players.  Mo disagreed.

Comment and I can't believe I'm typing this:  If true, I actually agree with Shildt.  Mo was in LA last Wed.  What did he think of all those STL RH sluggers whaling away, swinging for the fences in a pitchers' park where the ball does not carry at night, in a game when a single or two would have won the game?  Of course, Shildt's chronic Matheny-esque bullpen mismanagement was bad on the other side of the game. 

Stubby or Skip will be put in there with both hands tied behind his back.  Skip is a Tony guy, so I don't see him getting the job.  But stranger things have happened.

If this is true, I'd be on Schildt's side for sure. The embarrassing lack of situational hitting - especially when all what was needed was a base hit, especially when teams played the shift - drove me crazy. I love the long ball. But offenses need to take what defenses give you. Shorten the stroke, punch the ball into a wide open infield. 

12 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Well if this is true then I am really clueless on this topic.  My impression was that Shildt was the the protector of Alberts.

@The Wizis a Cardinal season ticket holder and I would  appreciate your opinion of the Schildt firing and Schildt’s management of the team.

12 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Query for the Board:

a.  Stubby Clapp;

b.  Skip Schumaker;

c.  Ollie Marmol.

Ollie

14 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

First the idea that difference was Schildt wanted to cut down k’s and put the ball in play and Mo and DeWitt said no we don’t want that is silly regardless of who said it. It may have involved Jeff A, in fact it likely involved him to some aspect. Of course Mo doesn’t want to abandon situational hitting and just swing for the fences. I’m not necessarily an J Albert fan but if you blame him for players like Carp and DeJong don’t you have to give him credit for O’Neil, Bader, Sosa, Carlson, and the resurgence of Goldie? In fact Goldie stated was one of the things that he felt helped change the year was the hitting coaches urging them to stay the course, keep doing what you’re doing. Jeff A also is responsible for the minor league approach and instruction. Gorman, Yepez, Nootbar, Walker, Wynn, Herrera, and more are just absolutely raking in the minors while many being among the youngest players in their league. 

I just feel blaming it one wanting situational hitting and the other not is wrong and even if something of the sorts played a role it was a much broader picture than that

First the idea that difference was Schildt wanted to cut down k’s and put the ball in play and Mo and DeWitt said no we don’t want that is silly regardless of who said it. It may have involved Jeff A, in fact it likely involved him to some aspect. Of course Mo doesn’t want to abandon situational hitting and just swing for the fences. I’m not necessarily an J Albert fan but if you blame him for players like Carp and DeJong don’t you have to give him credit for O’Neil, Bader, Sosa, Carlson, and the resurgence of Goldie? In fact Goldie stated was one of the things that he felt helped change the year was the hitting coaches urging them to stay the course, keep doing what you’re doing. Jeff A also is responsible for the minor league approach and instruction. Gorman, Yepez, Nootbar, Walker, Wynn, Herrera, and more are just absolutely raking in the minors while many being among the youngest players in their league. 

I just feel blaming it one wanting situational hitting and the other not is wrong and even if something of the sorts played a role it was a much broader picture than that

Query for the Board:

a.  Stubby Clapp;

b.  Skip Schumaker;

c.  Ollie Marmol.

the above list is a fail.   no world series winner there.   

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Are you being serious? Do you think having won a WS is a prerequisite to winning one? In the last 50 years far more WS have been won by 1st time winners than Managers who have already won one. Off the top of my head I have 

LaRussa, Francona, Bochy, Anderson, Lasorda, Torre, Gaston. I’m sure I’m probably missing a couple but not many

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Skip Schumaker won a World Series as a player in 2011. He drove in the only run in the Carpenter/Halladay NLDS game 5 duel.

I would prefer Schumaker to another internal promotion. He had a long career as a role player (as have most good MLB managers) and has been part of playoff runs on other teams both as a player and coach.

I do think ultimately Mozeliak runs the organization in order to be perpetually competitive but doesn't make the moves necessary to win the World Series and he doesn't appreciate a manager who challenges his authority even if that dynamic is a necessary component to win (the 2011 Cardinals don't win the WS if TLR doesn't go over Mo's head and get DeWitt to force Mo to trade Rasmus)

44 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Are you being serious? Do you think having won a WS is a prerequisite to winning one? In the last 50 years far more WS have been won by 1st time winners than Managers who have already won one. Off the top of my head I have 

LaRussa, Francona, Bochy, Anderson, Lasorda, Torre, Gaston. I’m sure I’m probably missing a couple but not many

no no i am saying that list imo there is no one there that WILL ever win a w.s.  i want madden

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no no i am saying that list imo there is no one there that WILL ever win a w.s.  i want madden

Madden - let me be clear here I don't have a real opinion on him one way or another - he has rocked the boat everywhere he has been so in my opinion that rules him out here.  The other thing I would say is that every WS winning coach had to win his first one somewhere.