Cards fire Schildt

willie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that a Cardinal coaching lifer does not share the same philosophies as the organization he has worked for and excelled with for so long.

Mozeliak is more guarded than a KGB agent. If he gave answers like that to the media in any other town he'd be drummed out of a job.

Another question, Mozeliak is the President. Why doesn't the GM speak for the team in these situations like every other club in pro sports. I don't even know who the GM is. Is his his office in the boiler room?

Schlildt should be manager of the year keeping the team focused and winning the second wild card and winning 17 in a row for the team the lousy GM and President gave him.

Mozeliak probably told Schildt he was going to re-sign Carpenter and to play Dejong more was the differences.

Schildt will get another chance to manage and the Cardinals will regret firing Schildt.

No shock, Mozeliak is a clown.

dennis_w likes this

I received a text at 12:14 pm Pacific from the 314 re this one.  I certainly did not see it coming.  I wonder what those "philosophical differences" actually are.

As it turns out, I was personally present for Shildt's last game last Wednesday in LA.  The Cardinals could not get the big hit.  I thought his bullpen management was costly.

Billiken Rich likes this

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I received a text at 12:14 pm Pacific from the 314 re this one.  I certainly did not see it coming.  I wonder what those "philosophical differences" actually are.

As it turns out, I was personally present for Shildt's last game last Wednesday in LA.  The Cardinals could not get the big hit.  I thought his bullpen management was costly.

Putting Reyes into pitch in that spot.

Billiken Rich likes this

i have a big differing view.  i think he was a horrible manager and except for september, pretty much has underachieved forever imo.   

i think he totally missused reyes and i pray he hasnt ankieled him with that last appearance.   i do know that madden got into it with the angels front office and likely could be had.   the cardinals will be miles ahead if that happens.   

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i have a big differing view.  i think he was a horrible manager and except for september, pretty much has underachieved forever imo.   

i think he totally missused reyes and i pray he hasnt ankieled him with that last appearance.   i do know that madden got into it with the angels front office and likely could be had.   the cardinals will be miles ahead if that happens.   

Roy, I would take Joe Maddon in a heartbeat.  We would be back to having a real manager, that would stand up to the owner and front office like TLR did, and not another puppet.  But that is exactly why it won't happen.  It's why Matheny was hired after TLR "retired" in '11, rather than 2 time World Series winning Manager Terry Francona.  When you step back and look at that one, that just about says it all.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Bill DeWitt II and Mo were both in LA.  I was there too.  I didn't like what I saw, and wonder if they actually shared the thought.

I was also at the entire September series in New York.  It was like the Cardinal players overcame their manager's gaffes in the dugout.  The guy brought Ponce de Leon into one game, who promptly loaded the bases.  He brought the $12M man, Andrew Miller, into another, and he promptly loaded the bases.  How we escaped those gaffes without the entire sky falling were minor miracles.

But from the reporting, it appears the "philosophical differences" were of even more recent vintage.  The reporting is the organizational meetings have not gone well.

The whole thing is very surprising, to the point of shocking.  I did not see this coming, anywhere near coming.

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Bill DeWitt II and Mo were both in LA.  I was there too.  I didn't like what I saw, and wonder if they actually shared the thought.

I was also at the entire September series in New York.  It was like the Cardinal players overcame their manager's gaffes in the dugout.  The guy brought Ponce de Leon into one game, who promptly loaded the bases.  He brought the $12M man, Andrew Miller, into another, and he promptly loaded the bases.  How we escaped those gaffes without the entire sky falling were minor miracles.

But from the reporting, it appears the "philosophical differences" were of even more recent vintage.  The reporting is the organizational meetings have not gone well.

The whole thing is very surprising, to the point of shocking.  I did not see this coming, anywhere near coming.

Were you at the game in LA?

53 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I take this. It be soderberg all over again.  I was shocked when it happened and really like who they hired

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Funny that a Cardinal coaching lifer does not share the same philosophies as the organization he has worked for and excelled with for so long.

Mozeliak is more guarded than a KGB agent. If he gave answers like that to the media in any other town he'd be drummed out of a job.

Another question, Mozeliak is the President. Why doesn't the GM speak for the team in these situations like every other club in pro sports. I don't even know who the GM is. Is his his office in the boiler room?

Mo is still the GM in reality not Gerst - Gerst just does the grunt work.  Shildt joined the Cardinals Organization in 2003 I guess that could make him a lifer - fair question though.  I still think that he was asked to fire Alberts or Maddox or both and he said no.

Inbound text, not actually heard here:  Per KMOX, Shildt wanted a different hitting coach, cut down on strikeouts, and for players to put the ball in play, reportedly confirmed with several players.  Mo disagreed.

Comment and I can't believe I'm typing this:  If true, I actually agree with Shildt.  Mo was in LA last Wed.  What did he think of all those STL RH sluggers whaling away, swinging for the fences in a pitchers' park where the ball does not carry at night, in a game when a single or two would have won the game?  Of course, Shildt's chronic Matheny-esque bullpen mismanagement was bad on the other side of the game. 

We've needed an organizational enema for years.

Stubby or Skip will be put in there with both hands tied behind his back.  Skip is a Tony guy, so I don't see him getting the job.  But stranger things have happened.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Madden hype > Madden reality. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Or did the philosophical differences involve Jeff Albert?

I’m betting it’s Jeff Albert. 

I’m indifferent about Schildt being fired however If I had to chose one or the other I would much rather them keep Schildt than Albert. 

The Cards will just hire another “yes man” from within and the 3 year coaching carousel will continue.

The Cardinals management have their fall guys in place.  Mo has Girsch and for some reason Jeff Albert has whoever the manager will be.