Big East expansion coming?

wgstl

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

You get a "free" t-shirt if you sign your kiddo up for the Billiken kids club:

https://slubillikens.com/news/2011/9/5/205259378.aspx

I think the smallest size they have is a kids small which fit my 5 year old, but we just basically had the 3 year old wear it as a dress.

They gave us a 2T shirt when the 5 year old was in the baby race back in the day.  I think we've since handed it down, but there must be some more of those floating around somewhere.  

Signing the kids up, thanks!

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, rgbilliken said:

Signing the kids up, thanks!

the billiken kids club is a very good deal.   i dont remember all the stuff included by my son signed his kids up for it a few years ago and it worked out great for him.  

23 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i think i would have kept up until he told me he didnt want to talk.   not often you get a chance to talk to russell who i consider one of the best 5 ever.   

i once stupidly chased oscar robertson when at cincy for the cusa tourney for an autograph.   he politely but obviously a little perturbed by my request asked me to wait outside and he would find me.  

i walked out embarrassed and mentally kicking myself for the request at that scene.   i went outside and stood across the corridor as even though i realized i f'd up, i still wasnt going to risk not getting an autograph and a few seconds of my childhood basketball idol's time.   he came out and looked for me and came across and signed said a few words, i told him he was my childhood idol and apologized, he smiled and thanked me and walked on. 

Russell was notorious about interacting with fans. There was an incident in the late 60s at a charity golf tourney where a kid who was like 10 asked him for an autograph. He blew the kid off. To say Russell was rude and aloof is a huge under statement. Well known in New England to give Bill a wide berth. 

32 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Don’t take my word for it (even though I’ve visited there more times than I can count). Take the words of the aforementioned Bill Russell, Torii Hunter, Adam Jones, late Kirby Puckett, John Salley, etc.

Their reputation precedes them.

Yea I come to Billikens.com to debate which city in America is the most racist. And when I do, I land on one in the Northeast, as opposed to say, other parts of the country. Good grief. 

Let’s talk about this thread… I think administration and president are definitely doing all they can to be a part of BE, but I really like the positioning of SLU athletics regardless over the next 5-10 years. Thankful we aren’t in the AAC, and there’s a lot of opportunity for the A10 to improve as conference realignment goes nuts. Also if BE announces an addition or no addition in the next 12 months, that doesn’t mean that’s end all be all. Lots of things going to happen between now and 2025.

8 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Let’s talk about this thread… I think administration and president are definitely doing all they can to be apart of BE, but I really like the positioning of SLU athletics regardless over the next 5-10 years. Thankful we aren’t in the AAC, and there’s a lot of opportunity for the A10 to improve as conference realignment goes nuts. Also if BE announces an addition or no addition in the next 12 months, that doesn’t mean that’s end all be all. Lots of things going to happen between now and 2025.

AAC getting raided. C-USA collapsing. Sun Belt potentially forcing members out. Many schools left in the lurch (Wichita St., UA-Little Rock, UTSA, FIU, UTEP).

Being basketball only and being in the BE or A10 has never looked so good.  

I agree with Majerus Mojo about Boston. It is a racist city. Panracist is a term that could be easily applied to Boston. It is  black vs white, it is Italian vs Irish, it is Hispanics vs everyone else, Armenians trying to be unperceived and mingling only with one another, and on and on. Religious antagonism is also prevalent (cannot call it racism) with Catholics hating Protestants, different denominations of protestants hating other denominations, the list goes forever. Boston is not an easy place to live and raise a family in.

• 1 year later...
Just now, thetorch said:

https://twitter.com/trillydonovan/status/1664270876538462210?s=20

UConn leaving the BE for the Big 12.  SLU still has no chance of joining the Bg East.

If this happens, we should know if we are getting an invite quickly.  If UConn goes to the Big 12, the word is they will start playing in the Big 12 in all sports except football starting this fall.  Football probably has to wait a year for scheduling reasons. UConn's deal with the Big East only requires an exit fee and has no notice provision.  They pay the exit fee and they are gone from the Big East.

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The more I think about it, I don't think any A10 school does at this moment. 

Big East will have to find some way to keep Fox happy or they will be looking at reduced payouts for each team next season.  Do any A10 schools/markets have enough going for them to help keep Fox happy?

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Big East will have to find some way to keep Fox happy or they will be looking at reduced payouts for each team next season.  Do any A10 schools/markets have enough going for them to help keep Fox happy.

Only us, and we don't have the sustained winning to carry any water. UD and VCU don't have the TV markets, UD will have X trying to block them while VCU plays in a really nice HS arena. I cant see any of the 3 making the move. 

TBH I was hoping the BE would look at soccer becoming a fast growing sport and they would want to jump in on that.  obviously not happening. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Only us, and we don't have the sustained winning to carry any water. UD and VCU don't have the TV markets, UD will have X trying to block them while VCU plays in a really nice HS arena. I cant see any of the 3 making the move. 

I have always thought that Richmond was a strong sleeper candidate for a Big East invite and far more likely than VCU for institutional reasons.

VCU will get in.

The A10 will respond by adding Old Dominion, James Madison, & Binghamton.

The A10 implodes in 3 years.

SLU joins the Ohio Valley with our natural rivals Lindenwood & SIUE.

Ford receives his 4th extension.  He is now making more than all the other coaches in the OVC combined.  He still has just one NCAA appearance at SLU....but has won 20 games 5 years in a row.