Big East expansion coming?

wgstl

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, willie said:

You are kidding aren’t you? Cheese is talking about Anheuser. Rich cleverly said Bonner who was called AB. 

I wasn't kidding.  Wasn't sure or not if Rich was being clever.  I'm just incredibly anxious about the Big East expansion and not really open to being "clever" about it.  I was also thinking that Anthony Bonner has a lot of east coast connections because of his time playing with and working for (?) the Knicks.  He may have also crossed paths in the NBA with some guys who played at other Big East schools & may have some level of influence.

I see now that Cheese said "they" so pretty clearly he wasn't talking about Bonner.

@RUBillsFan ---- you must be a newbie in your experience as a Bills fan.  No need for being anxious, SLU's history is such that if it can be screwed up, it will.  Don't get me wrong .... I am all in on the Big East as well but 46 years of history kind of temper things for me.  All I can say is  Bobby McFerrin ---- "Don't Worry Be Happy."

15 hours ago, dlarry said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32439931/bob-huggins-says-major-conferences-create-own-college-basketball-postseason-event-ditch-ncaa-tournament%3Fplatform%3Damp

This is the why the big East is so important.

Jack-offs like Huggy Bear want it to be a power 5 only event and they may get their wish.

I’ve been saying this is where the P5 was headed all along once conference realignments began. They want a FB type set up for BB, so they’re not sharing tourney money with the Savannah States of the world. They want it all. 

FWIW --- this idea appears to be quite young in its infancy.  Over on ESPN, Huggy Bear and Jamie Dixon are talking about the P5 conferences taking over March Madness in order to control the money.  They say it needs to be done ala football where the teams control it, not the NCAA.  Argument is that they then get richer and remain TV relevant.  Just like football --- where you see Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma year after year --- you'd get the same take with the basketball tournament as well.  Huggy says all the other schools can start their own tournament and go from there.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32439931/bob-huggins-says-major-conferences-create-own-college-basketball-postseason-event-ditch-ncaa-tournament

Over on The Holy Land of Hoops, their MBM board is talking three distinct teams for expansion.  Gonzaga, Notre Dame and Syracuse.  The arguments bounce all over the place with pros and cons.  Once they are done there, they bounce "down" to second tier candidates ... mentioned as in VCU, Dayton and us.  We get the smallest amount of support and pub.  There is also talk of going East/West and if you add Gonzaga, why not St. Mary's and UNLV?  

There is just way too much discussion and events going on now but it is all speculation.  I am content to be wakened when all the smoke clears.  Just go out and win the league we're inb right now.  The fact that KenPom has come out and placed us at #92, behind the likes of a rebuilding Dayton and Hyunjung Lee and Luka Brajkovic at Davidson is just disturbing.

Bills71 likes this

It makes sense for many of the BE fans which are primarily - not completely -  east coast centered to lean more towards schools in that region or close to it.  I wonder if any of them thought Creighton would be one of the picks when that school was added.  Syracuse has to worry about their football program - they actually have one not like UConn.  ND - dream on moving from the ACC doesn't help them either.  Gonzaga - they are use to being the big dog so will they want to share the limelight - they don't really gain anything either.  I agree who knows what the heck is going on.

Just now, cheeseman said:

It makes sense for many of the BE fans which are primarily - not completely -  east coast centered to lean more towards schools in that region or close to it.  I wonder if any of them thought Creighton would be one of the picks when that school was added.  Syracuse has to worry about their football program - they actually have won not like UConn.  ND - dream on moving from the ACC doesn't help them either.  Gonzaga - they are use to being the big dog so will they want to share the limelight - they don't really gain anything either.  I agree who knows what the heck is going on.

-I hope what is going on is that DrP, DrChaifetz, CMay, Kavanagh, some Jesuits and whoever else have been and are more now in the ears of BEast presidents, athletic directors and their prominent, mind influencing alumns touting how we can add to their conference

Fans don’t make the decisions and fans don’t get it done. 

One can waste a lot of time discussing the topic with Big East fans. 

They would want:

Gonzaga

Notre Dame

Kansas. 

The last two they understand they are slim to no chance. It’s a wish list a dream list. Others may add an additional high profile team or two. 

Gonzaga is the main discussion. Can the Big East double the money with its new tv deal etc…? 

Unfortunately the teams already in the Big East, are already in the Big East regardless of how they are doing or have been doing. 

SLU can help itself by winning more games. More inside the bubble than outside of the bubble. SLU needs to win more than they do and have. 

Relationships. Those needed to have been building for some time, and need to be strong. Facilities, budgets, coaching hires etc….

Gonzaga is first in line. They may or may not get an invite. I think they’d accept if they do. They may not get invited. Will they expand beyond one team? That would help SLU’s chances. They would still have a chance if only one team expansion and Gonzaga is not in play. 

Until then win the A-10, make NCAA Tourneys. Do some damage. 

TaLBErt and Bills71 like this

17 hours ago, dlarry said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32439931/bob-huggins-says-major-conferences-create-own-college-basketball-postseason-event-ditch-ncaa-tournament%3Fplatform%3Damp

Jack-offs like Huggy Bear want it to be a power 5 only event and they may get their wish.

If the P5 schools are smart they will completely avoid going anywhere near Huggy's idea.  The current setup keeps away the antitrust challenges and more importantly doesn't draw in the attention of Congress.  

billiken_roy likes this

i think the p5 schools underestimate the value of the rest of D1.  as most people realize, the david goliath matchups early in the tourney make a lot of excitement particularly when the upsets happen.   or when a david goes past the second round.   it creates excitement.  

but we all know the greed and arrogance of the p5 schools.  enough said.  

ND and Cuse giving up FB and the ACC is a total pipe dream. Is the Beast $$$ anywhere near the $$$ level of  the ACC? Doubtful. And ND football as an independent isn’t as big a draw as it used to be. Beast fans are dreaming on this one. 
Zaga hoops is the big frog in a little pond that virtually assures  them a permanent annual tourney invite. They would risk this in the Beast. Although, they would be very competitive as long as Few sticks around. I don’t see it, but I never expected to see Joe Biden get elected as President either. We’ll see. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i think the p5 schools underestimate the value of the rest of D1.  as most people realize, the david goliath matchups early in the tourney make a lot of excitement particularly when the upsets happen.   or when a david goes past the second round.   it creates excitement.  

but we all know the greed and arrogance of the p5 schools.  enough said.  

I was reading the Twitter comments and was happy to see that 95% of people were very against the idea.

It blows my mind that these greedy a-holes think a mediocre Washington State team vs a mediocre Minnesota game is more appealing than watching a talented Drake team take down one of these P5 teams.

billiken_roy and CBFan like this

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

ND and Cuse giving up FB and the ACC is a total pipe dream. Is the Beast $$$ anywhere near the $$$ level of  the ACC? Doubtful. And ND football as an independent isn’t as big a draw as it used to be. Beast fans are dreaming on this one. 
Zaga hoops is the big frog in a little pond that virtually assures  them a permanent annual tourney invite. They would risk this in the Beast. Although, they would be very competitive as long as Few sticks around. I don’t see it, but I never expected to see Joe Biden get elected as President either. We’ll see. 

ND make $3.5 million more for their non football rights from the ACC than the Big East pays their members for media rights.

28 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I guess you didn't look at the betting odds - virtually every site had him as the clear favorite.

20 hours ago, dlarry said:

This WILL be a good thing for SLU and all of college basketball. 

By the way, Notre Dame likes being independent. They like the ACC for its Olympic Sports. (ACC is best conference for that.) They want a clear football playoff path. Securing their next tv deal. These are the things that matters to Notre Dame. They will continue to criss cross the country to try to schedule games all over the country, close enough for all of their alums and fans to attend.

17 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’d like to hear your reasoning for this take. 

Nothing would change except more money will go to SLU rather than division 3 rowing.  It would give basketball schools a bigger voice.  

Some form of this will happen and it's probably all ready being planned.  

18 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

Nothing would change except more money will go to SLU rather than division 3 rowing.  It would give basketball schools a bigger voice.  

This will be a good thing for SLU and ALL of college basketball?  You might think that if you are an elitist pinhead, or you really want to see power 5 teams with losing records make it to the "new tournament" 

20 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

From my understanding Bob Huggin’s idea involved the power 5 and probably Big East and that’s it.

He doesn’t want the A-10, MVC, Mountain West etc. involved at all. 
That in no way benefits Saint Louis U.

It also removes what makes the NCAA tournament the most exciting tournament in sports. 

It might  put  more money in the P5 pockets but in the process it’s going to ruin the greatest sporting event around and lead to decreased viewership and interest. 

People like NCAA football in spite of an awful / generally anticlimactic playoff system that has actually gotten slightly better by moving very slightly closer to the NCAA basketball "playoff" model.  No way that basketball should be trying to move closer to a football playoff model.  Anyone who thinks they should is either an idiot or only worried about a short term money grab for themselves.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

People like NCAA football in spite of an awful / generally anticlimactic playoff system that has actually gotten slightly better by moving very slightly closer to the NCAA basketball "playoff" model.  No way that basketball should be trying to move closer to a football playoff model.  Anyone who thinks they should is either an idiot or only worried about a short term money grab for themselves.

Or they are tired of seeing their favorite team lose to the Bucknells, VCUs, Bradley’s, and Norther Iowa’s of the world.

19 minutes ago, dlarry said:

From my understanding Bob Huggin’s idea involved the power 5 and probably Big East and that’s it.

He doesn’t want the A-10, MVC, Mountain West etc. involved at all. 
That in no way benefits Saint Louis U.

It also removes what makes the NCAA tournament the most exciting tournament in sports. 

It might  put  more money in the P5 pockets but in the process it’s going to ruin the greatest sporting event around and lead to decreased viewership and interest. 

The backlash on this would be similar to when the top Euro soccer owners tried to create their own Champions League. Can’t see it. The casual fans tune into the NCAA tournament to see the Cinderella’s. 

23 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

The backlash on this would be similar to when the top Euro soccer owners tried to create their own Champions League. Can’t see it. The casual fans tune into the NCAA tournament to see the Cinderella’s. 

I agree but over time this will be THE TOURNEY TO WATCH. Anything else is minor league. I want to believe that the networks will say “we’ve got to have the David v Goliaths”, but they’ll cave if the P5 push it hard. The P5 doesn’t like seeing those $$’s being spread around to the minor conferences. They are greedy SOB’s. 

44 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I agree but over time this will be THE TOURNEY TO WATCH. Anything else is minor league. I want to believe that the networks will say “we’ve got to have the David v Goliaths”, but they’ll cave if the P5 push it hard. The P5 doesn’t like seeing those $$’s being spread around to the minor conferences. They are greedy SOB’s. 

The football format only lets in what 8 teams?  I can't see the P5 putting together a 64 team tourney and people being excited to watch it until they get to the Elite 8 level.  I am not sure this type of a tourney makes the kind of money the Dance makes now but people have been known to kill the golden goose in spite of themselves.