Big East expansion coming?

wgstl

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thanks for you and HoosierPal's honesty.  It takes a big MBM to admit they got this one wrong.  I recall a heck of a lot more than two people wanting us to move to the AAC.

If we can get Memphis on the schedule regularly (ideally annually) we'd have the best of both worlds. 

NoCoBillsFan likes this

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Looking around at some Big East message boards… the overwhelming majority of fans do NOT want to add us at all. A lot of “they add nothing to the league” which is pretty funny considering we have more recent success that quite a few of their members. Funnily enough, they are much more open to adding VCU, even though the school is a much worse fit… those final four runs stick in people’s memory. 

I’d say the main desire of the BE fans is to add Gonzaga, obviously, but I don’t see that happening. Geography aside, Gonzaga has a good thing going… why risk moving to a conference where you aren’t top dog every year, when you’re getting 1 seeds year after year in your current situation. 

luckily, the BE presidents and FOX will be the ones deciding, and I think we are much more attractive to them than we are to the fans

Just keep winning and we'll change their minds

Bills71 likes this

48 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/19/aac-expansion-six-conference-usa-teams

Raise your hand if you are one of those who a year or so ago thought joining the AAC would be a great move for the Billikens.

✋

Now, wow.  👎

And it is likely just a matter of time before Memphis and (maybe Temple) depart.

Yep, I was one of them as well.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/19/aac-expansion-six-conference-usa-teams

Raise your hand if you are one of those who a year or so ago thought joining the AAC would be a great move for the Billikens.

✋

Now, wow.  👎

And it is likely just a matter of time before Memphis and (maybe Temple) depart.

I was one also the A10 is much better now. 
Cincinnati football program this season is great and will help the B12.

At this point, the athletic department has positioned itself as good as it can to get BE interest... Main thing (and biggest) left to do is win. Starts with men's soccer and praying their momentum carries over into Bball. Go coach Kalish and co - give em hell.

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Looking around at some Big East message boards… the overwhelming majority of fans do NOT want to add us at all. A lot of “they add nothing to the league” which is pretty funny considering we have more recent success that quite a few of their members. Funnily enough, they are much more open to adding VCU, even though the school is a much worse fit… those final four runs stick in people’s memory. 

I’d say the main desire of the BE fans is to add Gonzaga, obviously, but I don’t see that happening. Geography aside, Gonzaga has a good thing going… why risk moving to a conference where you aren’t top dog every year, when you’re getting 1 seeds year after year in your current situation. 

luckily, the BE presidents and FOX will be the ones deciding, and I think we are much more attractive to them than we are to the fans

I have to think Fox will push for us. Adding VCU does little for their geographical footprint. As for their identity of  being the private school league, well, that ship sailed when they readmitted UConn. Zaga might appeal to the fans, but the distance is not appealing to any of the school’s bean counters. 

Obviously being accepted to the Big East would be great for SLU. If not chosen  the A10 is our next best place to be. It's really not a bad basketball league except for the bottom. The most important thing for me is that they are like minded schools. Exposure on the east coast is a plus. We have little in common with the AAC school's But don't worry, we are going to the Big East. We are the perfect fit for what they need. 

43 minutes ago, willie said:

Obviously being accepted to the Big East would be great for SLU. If not chosen  the A10 is our next best place to be. It's really not a bad basketball league except for the bottom. The most important thing for me is that they are like minded schools. Exposure on the east coast is a plus. We have little in common with the AAC school's But don't worry, we are going to the Big East. We are the perfect fit for what they need. 

Our safety conference is a non-football Big 12 membership.

48 minutes ago, willie said:

perhaps, and just trying to be super optimistic , the bottom may be improving ever so slightly..

We will always have - to a certain degree; SLU, Dayton, VCU, Davidson, Umass, URI and Richmond keeping the conference in a someone respectable spot. 

But slight trend up with Fordham, after their new hiring's - at least on the recruiting front.  Same With GMU.  

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

RE: final four runs - we're guilty of that thinking as well.  How many SLU fans have been calling to add Loyola to the A10 since their final four run versus someone like Belmont who has perhaps had more consistent success over the last decade? 

Ultimately, what fans of existing Big East schools think means little to nothing.  Money drives re-alignment.  If Gonzaga can make a boatload more in the Big East, I could potentially see them making the move.  I'm not sure that's the case or would be enough to mess up their good thing. 

St. Louis media market is #23 and Richmond is #56.  Seems like there is also a lot more competition for eyeballs at the DI level in Richmond vs St. Louis.  I'd assume that's more attractive to FOX.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I have to think Fox will push for us. Adding VCU does little for their geographical footprint. As for their identity of  being the private school league, well, that ship sailed when they readmitted UConn. Zaga might appeal to the fans, but the distance is not appealing to any of the school’s bean counters. 

I was told at the last BE expansion from someone who was in a position to know more than us mokes that AB was pushing hard for us to be included.  Apparently they did not have enough steam to make it happen and supposedly Fox was very open to it but it did not happen so I choose to take a wait and see approach when I hear things like Fox will have any real influence.  I agree it would seem to make sense but who knows in these matters.

20 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

RE: final four runs - we're guilty of that thinking as well.  How many SLU fans have been calling to add Loyola to the A10 since their final four run versus someone like Belmont who has perhaps had more consistent success over the last decade? 

Ultimately, what fans of existing Big East schools think means little to nothing.  Money drives re-alignment.  If Gonzaga can make a boatload more in the Big East, I could potentially see them making the move.  I'm not sure that's the case or would be enough to mess up their good thing. 

St. Louis media market is #23 and Richmond is #56.  Seems like there is also a lot more competition for eyeballs at the DI level in Richmond vs St. Louis.  I'd assume that's more attractive to FOX.

Why do you think that?

59 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I was told at the last BE expansion from someone who was in a position to know more than us mokes that AB was pushing hard for us to be included.  Apparently they did not have enough steam to make it happen and supposedly Fox was very open to it but it did not happen so I choose to take a wait and see approach when I hear things like Fox will have any real influence.  I agree it would seem to make sense but who knows in these matters.

Well, my theory is go with the money and Fox is paying the freight. I think if they put their foot on the pedal the BE would listen. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

-that's good to hear

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32439931/bob-huggins-says-major-conferences-create-own-college-basketball-postseason-event-ditch-ncaa-tournament%3Fplatform%3Damp

This is the why the big East is so important.

Jack-offs like Huggy Bear want it to be a power 5 only event and they may get their wish.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

You can always count on Anthony Bonner!

Sorry if this is a joke and it’s flying over my head.  I was reading AB as Anheuser Busch, not Anthony Bonner.  I love Bonner, but when it comes to Big East expansion I’d rather the other AB pushing for us.  @cheesemancan you clarify? 

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Sorry if this is a joke and it’s flying over my head.  I was reading AB as Anheuser Busch, not Anthony Bonner.  I love Bonner, but when it comes to Big East expansion I’d rather the other AB pushing for us.  @cheesemancan you clarify? 

You are kidding aren’t you? Cheese is talking about Anheuser. Rich cleverly said Bonner who was called AB. 

10 minutes ago, willie said:

You are kidding aren’t you? Cheese is talking about Anheuser. Rich cleverly said Bonner who was called AB. 

I was way off I thought he was talking about either Albert Belle or Antonio Banderas. 
Anheuser Busch and Anthony Bonner both make way more sense.