Big East expansion coming?

wgstl

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Are you kidding? Haven't you noticed the AARP crowd that follows this team? And I include myself. We can all show up with our walkers and canes. The golf carts will be busy from the parking lot. They'll probably have oxygen available at the concession stands. That's why it's at 2 pm on a weekday. After the morning doctor appointments and before the Early Bird Specials at the All Ya Can Eat.

At least they haven't asked everyone to bring their checkbooks.

The time is for the media.  They want them to come and cover it and have plenty of time to get it prepared for the air.  As far as the checkbook is concerned wait for it.

22 hours ago, brianstl said:

From what I have heard this announcement is big facilities wise and is the kind of thing that helps when you make your case to the Big East.

Indeed. I'd say most or all of the Big East will have to raise their games to keep pace with us.

brianstl likes this

I'm always somewhat in the minority here in that I think the A10 is actually a pretty good conference. That being said, the Big East is obviously the dream and it seems achievable now. I'd love having Gonzaga in the league but a 12 team league might actually be my preference.

Villanova is obviously king of the league. DePaul is like Fordham, Vanderbilt, Boston College, etc in the sense that you can pretty much always count on them to finish last in their conference. St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown have a rich history but seem stuck in a cycle of mediocrity. The rest of the conference is pretty jumbled with teams like Providence and Seton Hall making recent runs while Butler has been a little down lately. I know there is always some concern that we could join this conference and struggle but it seems like the ideal time to join. We have momentum and there are a ton of programs in a transition period. Add in the new facilities and we could easily be a Xavier level program in the Big East pretty quickly.

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So announcement at 2 pm today.  Anyone have an idea as to what about the facilities will be updated/improved or added?

Re read the announcement please. This is just my guess, but it sounds to me like something really big. I do not think new facilities alone qualify for the kind of change they announced. This is just a personal opinion, I may well be wrong.

Do you have to crawl before you walk?  Walk before you run?  Speculating:  some sort of major facility project .... an upgrade that allows ALL Billiken athletes some sort of major upgrade to support overall competition.  Somewhere that allows both the men and women, soccer -- swimming --- field hockey --- basketball --- baseball --- softball, to use and develop.  What does that entail?  Weight rooms.  Training tables.  Physical therapy rooms.  Study halls.  

That's the walk.  The run then becomes "hey Big East, look at us.  Look how we are committed to competing at a higher level.  You have never seen this from West Pine Gym/Saint Louis before.  Pick us, we are serious."

We really haven't dominated anything in the five years since the new Big East formed.  Without a record to stand on (with deference to soccer, baseball, softball and the like) what is available to us to make a noteworthy splash?  

JMM28 and TheA_Bomb like this

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So announcement at 2 pm today.  Anyone have an idea as to what about the facilities will be updated/improved or added?

If it's strictly an update and addition to Chaiftez I'm not sure I would call this a "MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT". Seems a bit much. Hopefully they prove me wrong and whatever it is knocks my socks clean off. Although I wish there was always this much hype by SLU and the athletic department surrounding their sports programs. Perhaps it's a strategy to attract certain eyeballs on the East coast...

Don't get me wrong...facilities upgrades are fantastic and necessary and it certainly does not hurt if we find ourselves in a position where a move to BE is a possibility. 

Billiken Rich likes this

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm always somewhat in the minority here in that I think the A10 is actually a pretty good conference. That being said, the Big East is obviously the dream and it seems achievable now. I'd love having Gonzaga in the league but a 12 team league might actually be my preference.

The A10 is a good spot, right now, for men's basketball. The A10 is not great for the other sports for travel and some competition reasons. Ideally you'd have basketball in a league like or better than the A10 with the non-revenue sports in a more regional league like the MVC. The Big East, besides its obvious financial benefits, would be better for non-revenue sports as well because there are more bus-able spots - Indy, Chicago, Omaha, Milwaukee, Cincinnati - plus the remaining league schools are serviced by major airports with direct flight availability mostly. 

bauman likes this

53 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We will all know in 4 hours. To me what is intriguing is the use of ‘Billiken Athletics’ in the tweet. An expansion of the Jewel won’t help the soccer, tennis, field hockey, CC teams much. 

But maybe Chaifetz is giving a billion the athletic department   

Maybe a new AD?  

Whatever it is (this is I think something new for Bill Athletics) they are going to broadcast it live in youtube! The link is in the main screen of this board. We will not be available until later in the afternoon, I hope I can get to this link while it is still up (after the event of course).

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We will all know in 4 hours. To me what is intriguing is the use of ‘Billiken Athletics’ in the tweet. An expansion of the Jewel won’t help the soccer, tennis, field hockey, CC teams much. 
Maybe a new AD?  

A "student learning center" as part of a Chaifetz upgrade would impact all the teams and athletes.

No way they would be pumping this up as such a great thing if it was a change in the Athletic Director. That makes no sense.

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

A "student learning center" as part of a Chaifetz upgrade would impact all the teams and athletes.

No way they would be pumping this up as such a great thing if it was a change in the Athletic Director. That makes no sense.

I’m just guessing like you are. 
While a student learning center would be a huge asset, man would that be a let down after this hype. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

While a student learning center would be a huge asset, man would that be a let down after this hype. 

agreed.  

And Soccer is already getting a new building. 

Baseball/ softball seem like the only ones still left out.

Basketball just got all new locker rooms.

My guess:  Adding onto the practice portion of chaifetz arena, and including indoor space for other sports.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I’m just guessing like you are. 

Totally agree with this. If this is a facilities upgrade only, no matter how big it is, I think the Athletic Department should think long and hard about how they went about this announcement, given the context of the Big East commish comments only a week prior.

All they needed to do was say "A Major Announcement regarding facilities" and it would have been received well. As it stands now, people are likely going to be disappointed with an announcement that otherwise should have been an unequivocal positive!

ACE likes this

4 minutes ago, Brighton said:

JC. I thought I was the bigger Eeyore here.

If part of the announcement is that they're bringing Del Taco back to midtown then the hype is justified.