Big East expansion coming?

wgstl

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I love to see us is in the Big East but just not getting my hopes up.

When the Big East started in the summer of 2013 those were our best years (at least since I been following the Bills from the late 60s). 3 consecutive years in the Dance, top 25 ranked finishes, brand new arena back then, decent attendance and still got snubbed. 

I think being snubbed had more to do with politics than anything else than checking the boxes. Hopefully the BE and SLU moved on from that and look at our potential  and commitment. 

I agree with your politics take.  DePaul had no business getting into the Big East based on the trajectory of their program.  Who cares if you bring the Chicago market you can't beat anybody?  It was a lifetime achievement program based on the accomplishments of a long departed coach.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree with your politics take.  DePaul had no business getting into the Big East based on the trajectory of their program.  Who cares if you bring the Chicago market you can't beat anybody?  It was a lifetime achievement program based on the accomplishments of a long departed coach.

But we all love Fordham because they bring the NY market to the A10.

CBFan likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

No way Loyola gets an invite with DePaul already in the BE.  They will block any Chicago team from getting in.

I risked exposing myself to a severe bout of depression and decided to read the Twitter comments under Dana’s tweet and one guy suggested Loyola to the BE so they could tap into the Chicago tv market 🤣 

thatskablamo likes this

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Winning more is moot at this point.  If the Big East commish is openly talking about expansion, we are talking a few months at most before the teams are announced.

This is exactly right. When the commish goes public on something like this it's not because they want to discuss it two years later; it's because they want to do it now.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

as long as we are treated like a full member, i am fine with becoming big east.   but this junior member b.s. that apparently was half heartedly discussed a few years ago doesnt fly imo.   treat us fairly.

Roy, you keep bringing this up based on message board rumors that are most likely nonsense. Pretty much any team that has switched conferences anywhere has been brought in as "full" members. Now clearly, any school that is brought in should NOT expect access to past NCAA units won by current members of the Big East, and such school(s) would likely have to concede any accrued units won with their current conference. So there is a short-term financial hit, but it's understood that long-term it is a huge financial positive.

billikenfan05 likes this

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

This is exactly right. When the commish goes public on something like this it's not because they want to discuss it two years later; it's because they want to do it now.  

Whoa Brian and Kshoe calling it…SLU to the Big East within the next 2 months!!

slu72 likes this

9 hours ago, Bills71 said:

We need to win!  According to the Beast Board, we have no history of winning. At least a couple nice runs in March.

-they are not rewriting history, that is our history

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

Winning more is what it will take to get over the hump to have a chance.

SLU in recent history has won with the zen master Majerus and coach Ford.

SLU should get some credit for the 2019-2020 team.  When that team finally put it together that team appeared ready to make a run.  Like Dayton that team was robbed of that opportunity by COVID.

SLU will be playing for their fifth straight winning season it’s a good start but I agree with you they need a deep run and coach Ford has the team to do it this season if they stay healthy.

-won what?

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

as long as we are treated like a full member, i am fine with becoming big east.   but this junior member b.s. that apparently was half heartedly discussed a few years ago doesnt fly imo.   treat us fairly.

-Roy-mor

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

When the Beast was formed as it is set up today, Depaul was the only big time basketball team in Chicago, a market which was critical for the Conference,  Loyola was no where near what they have been recently.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

NCAA tournament appearances in the last decade....

Nova-8

Xavier-6

Creighton-6

Butler-5

Providence-5

SLU-4

Georgetown-4

UConn-4

Seton Hall-4

Marquette-4

St. John's-2

DePaul-0

Most recent NCAA tournament appearance

Nova-2021

Creighton-2021

UConn-2021

Georgetown-2021

SLU-2019

Seton Hall-2019

St. John's-2019

Marquette-2019

Xavier-2018

Providence-2018

Butler-2018

DePaul-2004

Our on court history record over the last decade is more than good enough for the Big East.

Great Post!!!

42 minutes ago, ACE said:

Big East expansion seemed inevitable when they added UConn. An eleven team conference is odd and not really sustainable, so at least one more team seems like a certainty.

I forgot they added UCONN last year so with that I would think they would add 1 mid-western school or 2 MW schools and one Eastern to give them either 12 or 14 schools.  UCONN is a real outlying with playing D 1 football unlike any of the other Beast schools.

2 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Great Post!!!

Agreed, and surely other criteria will be considered like, first and foremost, basketball and athletics budget, facilities, attendance, TV market size, geography/transport options, fit with new conference, U prez not being a jerk, etc.

If SLU by now has a budget anywhere close to Xavier's, they could join Big East during next round of expansion. At one time that wasn't the case. 

50 minutes ago, ACE said:

Big East expansion seemed inevitable when they added UConn. An eleven team conference is odd and not really sustainable, so at least one more team seems like a certainty.

11 teams makes perfect sense for their play everyone twice but increase the number to 20 games model. With many conferences going to 20 games, I was under the impression they would be on 11 for the foreseeable future. Val's comments yesterday obviously change that.

- 12 teams and 2 divisions means only 16 games (5 x 2 +6) if you go twice against your division and once against the other. It wouldn't be this format.

- 14 teams and 2 division means 19 games (6 x 2 +7) if you go twice against your division and once against the other. This would make a fair amount of sense as it's a blend of the 18 and 20 games that most conferences settle on, but there would be concern that some teams get 10 games in a given season while others get 9.

SLU_Lax likes this

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Nova-8

Xavier-6

Creighton-6

Butler-5

Providence-5

SLU-4

Georgetown-4

UConn-4

Seton Hall-4

Marquette-4

St. John's-2

DePaul-0

Nova-2021

Creighton-2021

UConn-2021

Georgetown-2021

SLU-2019

Seton Hall-2019

St. John's-2019

Marquette-2019

Xavier-2018

Providence-2018

Butler-2018

DePaul-2004

Our on court history record over the last decade is more than good enough for the Big East.

This claimed lack of SLU success in Basketball is a debunked narrative held against SLU.  After your above is cited, they next come back with the lack of Sweet 16 appearances.

It's always something for those with an agenda.  The end justifies the means.

38 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Nova-8

Xavier-6

Creighton-6

Butler-5

Providence-5

SLU-4

Georgetown-4

UConn-4

Seton Hall-4

Marquette-4

St. John's-2

DePaul-0

Nova-2021

Creighton-2021

UConn-2021

Georgetown-2021

SLU-2019

Seton Hall-2019

St. John's-2019

Marquette-2019

Xavier-2018

Providence-2018

Butler-2018

DePaul-2004

And that is something SLU can aggressively lobby. That’s been one part of the problem in the past. Example: Tim Lannon (former Creighton President) had strong people skills, relationships built over time with others, etc…and that is a big part of things too. SLU has not had that. 

One thing that has value is going back and looking at the resumes of Creighton, Butler, and Xavier for the 2013 expansion, compared to SLU. Creighton had just won the MVC in just about every sport that year, and had been a strong league team. Butler had two recent Final Fours. Xavier had a lot of success. etc…

It’s a nice a selling point for SLU, but those Big East Schools are already in the league. If the league is looking at Gonzaga or whomever, that is where the competition lies for SLU, as well as the competition of not expanding at all. 

I would believe that SLU would up its budgets significantly, have unified support, to compete well in a Power 5/Big East league. They would need those things. That’s a given that would also have to happen. If they can do those things there is no reason SLU can’ti be successful in a Big East Conference.

Until then, SLU can help itself on and off of the court. Win. Win more often. Win at a higher level more often. And, at the same time work the relationships. 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Roy, you keep bringing this up based on message board rumors that are most likely nonsense. Pretty much any team that has switched conferences anywhere has been brought in as "full" members. Now clearly, any school that is brought in should NOT expect access to past NCAA units won by current members of the Big East, and such school(s) would likely have to concede any accrued units won with their current conference. So there is a short-term financial hit, but it's understood that long-term it is a huge financial positive.

that is incorrect my sources are not "messageboard rumors".   the only nonsense is your demeaning take.   did i say anything about getting a share of past ncaa units?   and you definitely do not know the financial details that were discussed previously.   trust me it would not have been a HUGE financial positive.   if you choose to demean me, i would prefer you just dont read my posts in the future.  thanks 

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-they are not rewriting history, that is our history

-won what?

-Roy-mor

another that if you prefer to not believe, just dont read my posts going forward instead of assuming i dont have a good source.   

CBFan likes this

I personally think the Big East is going to 14 if Gonzaga isn't involved. 

I think if Gonzaga is involved they go to 16 teams with 3 other WCC teams and one Midwest team.  If they add the Zags they need multiple other western teams to reduce nonrevenue sports travel costs.  Then you go with a four team pod structure for your basketball schedule.  Play the teams in your geographic pod twice and the other teams once to get to a n eighteen game schedule.

26 minutes ago, kshoe said:

11 teams makes perfect sense for their play everyone twice but increase the number to 20 games model. With many conferences going to 20 games, I was under the impression they would be on 11 for the foreseeable future. Val's comments yesterday obviously change that.

- 12 teams and 2 divisions means only 16 games (5 x 2 +6) if you go twice against your division and once against the other. It wouldn't be this format.

- 14 teams and 2 division means 19 games (6 x 2 +7) if you go twice against your division and once against the other. This would make a fair amount of sense as it's a blend of the 18 and 20 games that most conferences settle on, but there would be concern that some teams get 10 games in a given season while others get 9.

If it's more conference games they want, simply take a 12-team league and have everybody play each other twice. That's 22 conference games, two more than they currently have.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

When the Beast was formed as it is set up today, Depaul was the only big time basketball team in Chicago, a market which was critical for the Conference,  Loyola was no where near what they have been recently.

That's just it, Depaul was not a big time basketball program.  In 2005 when they made the move, the Blue Demons had made the NCAAs 2 times in 12 years.  Their bottom feeder status in the Big East was totally predictable.  

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

If it's more conference games they want, simply take a 12-team league and have everybody play each other twice. That's 22 conference games, two more than they currently have.

That doesn't add nearly as much game inventory as adding more teams.  With more teams a media partner not only gets all of those teams conference games, it gets all those teams home non conference games.