Big East expansion coming?

wgstl

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big East expansion talk reaches Twitter, Dana O'Neil's Tweet, with the Big East Commissioner, Val Ackerman, quoted, as telling the Athletic that with the Fox deal expiring in 2025, she will ask her presidents to at least examine expansion.   Ackerman is quoted:  "What school helps with our basketball aspirations."  

In a second Dana O'Neil Tweet, when asked about "perhaps eyeing a certain Catholic school in Spokane," (Gonzaga) Ackerman responds:  "nothing is crazy in this environment but we're also mindful of details, like travel and logistics.  Geography is not insurmountable, but it's kind of high on the list."

I don't see how the Big East can survive as  perceived equal to the power conferences going forward without expanding.  The media money game now is all about supplying inventory to your media partner.  At 11 teams and with no football, the Big East currently has a limited amount of inventory to provide a media partner.

majerus mojo likes this

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't see how the Big East can survive as  perceived equal to the power conferences going forward without expanding.  The media money game now is all about supplying inventory to your media partner.  At 11 teams and with no football, the Big East currently has a limited amount of inventory to provide a media partner.

Which is why more and more I think about it, slu and Loyola may be in a better situation than a Dayton or vcu 

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

I know I know, dead horse..

Not a dead horse ever, it is good information for a message board, good post thank you.

If you were the Beast Comm and trying to maximize revenues, SLU is in the largest non tapped media market.

If you are looking for the best BB programs then you would be looking at St B. Richmond, VCU, Dayton. Loyola and SLU.  St. B =no media market; VCU and Richmond=both part of DC/VA media market; Dayton=part of Cincy media and Loyola part of Chicago.  Certainly Chicago is big enough for 2 teams-Depaul and Loyola.  Looking at all the above and considering the travel cost for non-revenue sports. it seems like Loyola and SLU make the most sense.

Make two Divisions;  West;  Creighton, Depaul, Marquette, Loyola, Butler and SLU

East;  Xavier, Nova,St. J., SH, Geortown, Prov

If they want to go to 14 schools add Davidson to the East and Belmont to the West.

6 hours ago, Bills71 said:

We need to win!  According to the Beast Board, we have no history of winning. At least a couple nice runs in March.

Winning more is what it will take to get over the hump to have a chance.

SLU in recent history has won with the zen master Majerus and coach Ford.

SLU should get some credit for the 2019-2020 team.  When that team finally put it together that team appeared ready to make a run.  Like Dayton that team was robbed of that opportunity by COVID.

SLU will be playing for their fifth straight winning season it’s a good start but I agree with you they need a deep run and coach Ford has the team to do it this season if they stay healthy.

Zags make no sense from an expense standpoint unless they were hoops only. I guess that could happen but unlikely. Costs are sky rocketing right now and they have to be considered. 
We have a lot of pluses, ie Market, Private, Facilities, but lack the splash factor; winning tradition. Time to make some noise. 

I love to see us is in the Big East but just not getting my hopes up.

When the Big East started in the summer of 2013 those were our best years (at least since I been following the Bills from the late 60s). 3 consecutive years in the Dance, top 25 ranked finishes, brand new arena back then, decent attendance and still got snubbed. 

I think being snubbed had more to do with politics than anything else than checking the boxes. Hopefully the BE and SLU moved on from that and look at our potential  and commitment. 

brianstl likes this

as long as we are treated like a full member, i am fine with becoming big east.   but this junior member b.s. that apparently was half heartedly discussed a few years ago doesnt fly imo.   treat us fairly.

AGB91 and almaman like this