OT- Beat LA!

It’s Game Day.

The two best teams in the NL are facing off in a winner takes all tonight. I feel as I did at the ‘19 A10 Tourney Quarterfinals in Brooklyn, SLU vs. Dayton. I knew if SLU could win that game, which SLU did, that SLU could win the A10 Tournament and go to the NCAA, which SLU did.

Likewise, if the Cards can beat LA tonight, they can, and I predict will win the NL Pennant and go to the World Series. Don’t let the Giants’ regular season record fool you. Both LA and SF’s records were inflated by each getting to play woeful 52-110 Arizona 19 times. 

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

It’s Game Day.

The two best teams in the NL are facing off in a winner takes all tonight. I feel as I did at the ‘19 A10 Tourney Quarterfinals in Brooklyn, SLU vs. Dayton. I knew if SLU could win that game, which SLU did, that SLU could win the A10 Tournament and go to the NCAA, which SLU did.

Likewise, if the Cards can beat LA tonight, they can, and I predict will win the NL Pennant and go to the World Series. Don’t let the Giants’ regular season record fool you. Both LA and SF’s records were inflated by each getting to play woeful 52-110 Arizona 19 times. 

If the Cardinals win tonight, I think they take the whole thing. The Dodgers are the only team that truly scares me in a five or seven game series. Glad that we have the chance to take them out in one game.

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

It’s Game Day.

yep. let's roll. my highest sports 5 seconds in my 60 years of fandom might be Jack Clark's HR with first base open vs Tommy L's Dodgers 1985. Let's watch again still get goose bumps.

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

It’s Game Day.

Wow - dodgers were 16-3 against arizona and giants were 17-2. Good call BAB

2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

If the Cardinals win tonight, I think they take the whole thing. The Dodgers are the only team that truly scares me in a five or seven game series. Glad that we have the chance to take them out in one game.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I’d be willing to bet every other team in the playoffs is saying something similar about the Cardinals. They’ve gone on a remarkable run, but you can’t just completely dismiss the 1st 5 months of the season when they were basically a .500 ball club. I’ll be rooting for the Cards tonight, but let’s pump the brakes a bit.

21 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but I’d be willing to bet every other team in the playoffs is saying something similar about the Cardinals. They’ve gone on a remarkable run, but you can’t just completely dismiss the 1st 5 months of the season when they were basically a .500 ball club. I’ll be rooting for the Cards tonight, but let’s pump the brakes a bit.

Lol I know that my optimism is very reckless. But at least in my lifetime, these are the sorts of seasons when the Cardinals win the championship. 

2 hours ago, almaman said:

yep. let's roll. my highest sports 5 seconds in my 60 years of fandom might be Jack Clark's HR with first base open vs Tommy L's Dodgers 1985. Let's watch again still get goose bumps.

I love watching Pedro Guerrero throwing his glove down in disgust as the ball flys over his head.

Adman and almaman like this

44 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t disagree but a big reason for the 500 record was losing 4 out of 5 of their starters. 

The streak was nice but the Cards had one of the best records in the NL from the trade deadline on.

I also think teams would rather play a team with a better regular season record than a team that is coming in red hot.

17 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I don’t disagree but a big reason for the 500 record was losing 4 out of 5 of their starters. 

The streak was nice but the Cards had one of the best records in the NL from the trade deadline on.

I also think teams would rather play a team with a better regular season record than a team that is coming in red hot.

I hope you’re right. But injuries were up across the board this year (I think the short season last year took its toll this summer), but there’s a reason the Giants and Dodgers and Rays won 100 games. The thing that scares me about the Cardinals is while their rotation and defense are elite, they’re not exactly an offensive juggernaut, and I’m not sure how much I trust the back end of their bullpen. If a couple starters aren’t at their absolute best, against the best lineups in the game, the Cards’ lineup isn’t likely to out score their opponent. Not to mention I think the Cards have the toughest path to the World Series. 

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

I love watching Pedro Guerrero throwing his glove down in disgust as the ball flys over his head.

One of my all-time favorite highlights. The next shot after Guerrero threw his glove down in disgust was Lasorda in the dugout wondering why oh why he pitched to Clark.