O T 14 in a row!

almaman

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I can understand the being spoiled to an extent. They’ve won the 2nd most World Series and haven’t been the worst team in the NL in over 100 years. What irritates me is the whole “best fans in baseball” narrative that gets shoved down everyone’s throat simply because they show up (the Cardinals are usually good, I wonder how many fans would show up if the Cards started rebuilding and playing like the Pirates or Orioles), and are moderately polite to other teams’ players. They’re not any more loyal than any other team’s fans. It just gets under my skin.

i was at a few games this summer that the attendance looked more like the 70's prior to whitey coming in and straighting the team out.   i dont think the cardinals had over 30,000 in any game i went to this season.  yeah yeah covid.  whatever.  doors werent locked.   real fans.........never mind.  

im still wearing my cepeda red jersey Wednesday.   fricking seager and betts will be able to hear me from here screaming at them to f up.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Cardinal press conference at 2. Maybe rumors are true. 

twitter says wainwright contract renewal for 2022. 

slufanskip likes this

28 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Cards fans are spoiled and think any year they aren't at least in the WS is a failure and if they don't get to the WS for 3-4 years their GM should be fired, the owner should sell to someone who really cares, etc ... 

I want to win WS, but want I really want is to be excited and enjoy baseball all season long and the Cards give me that. Plus, there is a reality to the Cards situation, they can't spend with the top franchises dollar for dollar. We have great attendance but StL TV money will never match that of NY, LA, Chicago, Atl, etc... According to fangraphs the Cards had the 13th highest yearly TV package. 

It's Oct and I'm still enjoying baseball and excited for the playoffs. IMO a good season. If we lose the WC game it'll still be a good season. I'm hoping for great though. Ready for the playoffs

You know what they call baseball fans who are just happy with making the playoffs every year, but never winning the World Series?............. Brave's Fans.  😃

BilliesBy40 and almaman like this

16 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I can understand the being spoiled to an extent. They’ve won the 2nd most World Series and haven’t been the worst team in the NL in over 100 years. What irritates me is the whole “best fans in baseball” narrative that gets shoved down everyone’s throat simply because they show up (the Cardinals are usually good, I wonder how many fans would show up if the Cards started rebuilding and playing like the Pirates or Orioles), and are moderately polite to other teams’ players. They’re not any more loyal than any other team’s fans. It just gets under my skin.

I agree with you that the BFIB thing is overplayed (mostly by the media), but really at this point it is more of a joke for other fans to poke fun at the Cardinals.  I mean there is here is a Twitter account dedicated to finding really crappy things that Cardinals fans post and memorializing / elevating them for the rest of baseball to make fun of.

I think there is something to be said of the Cardinals essentially always being good that allowed fandom to be passed from generation to generation without any gaps.  A "love" / "respect" / "knowledge" of baseball was passed down with it.  Not many other fanbases can make the same claim.  It is definitely a product of the team being good as you've said.  I'm not sure if that makes them "best" or "better" than other fans, but it is something Cardinals fans can perhaps hang their hat on.  I'm a Cardinals fan, my dad & mom were Cardinals fans, and my late grandparents were all Cardinals fans.  I hope my kids will be Cardinals fans.  I've enjoyed games with all of them.  My dad taught me how to keep score.  My grandparents always had Cardinals games on KMOX in their car when I was a little kid (In my memory they somehow did this even in the offseason).  We've all experienced the thrill of playoff baseball & WS titles together.

cgeldmacher and slufanskip like this

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

You know what they call baseball fans who are just happy with making the playoffs every year, but never winning the World Series?............. Brave's Fans.  😃

that's because they transition in september to the georgia bulldogs football games.   and that honestly p's me off.   so not arguing with you on the above.   

23 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

A few things.  Cardinal fans don't push the BFIB narrative, the media does.  I don't know if the Cardinals have the BFIB, that title could go to St. Louis, Chicago, New York, or Boston.  Everyone else is pretty fair weather, including LA and San Francisco.  I will say that Cardinal fans travel as well if not better than any other fan base.

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i was at a few games this summer that the attendance looked more like the 70's prior to whitey coming in and straighting the team out.   i dont think the cardinals had over 30,000 in any game i went to this season.  yeah yeah covid.  whatever.  doors werent locked.   real fans.........never mind.  

im still wearing my cepeda red jersey Wednesday.   fricking seager and betts will be able to hear me from here screaming at them to f up.  

Different COVID rules in different cities makes this not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but the Cardinals are currently 5th in average attendance behind the Dodgers, Braves, Padres, and Rangers.  Know the Rangers were at all capacity all year and I think the Braves have also had fewer restrictions.  The Cardinals numbers are down from previous seasons, but still really good compared to the rest of the league.

Glad you've still got the Cardinals Cepeda jersey ready to go.  

Just now, willie said:

That the team is for sale. 

i cant believe he would do that even if it is true at this time.   team just has one of the 2 or 3 best streaks in baseball history makes the playoff when a month ago they were considered dead and most fans were trying to figure out what free agents would be out there,   no way ownership would kill the momentum of the playoffs.   

i think it is just the wainwright renewal.   which is pretty cool.   his age with molina coming back.   now if the DH becomes law in the national league they can go get albert and all three can go out together and all three go to the hall of fame together.  (so i am a baseball romantic)

BilliesBy40 likes this

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

A few things.  Cardinal fans don't push the BFIB narrative, the media does.  I don't know if the Cardinals have the BFIB, that title could go to St. Louis, Chicago, New York, or Boston.  Everyone else is pretty fair weather, including LA and San Francisco.  I will say that Cardinal fans travel as well if not better than any other fan base.

I agree with all of this. I’m not taking a shot at Cards fans. Some of my best friends are Cards fans and the overwhelming majority have been great to interact with. Just the whole narrative, media invention or not (it is), is nauseating.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i cant believe he would do that even if it is true at this time.   team just has one of the 2 or 3 best streaks in baseball history makes the playoff when a month ago they were considered dead and most fans were trying to figure out what free agents would be out there,   no way ownership would kill the momentum of the playoffs.   

i think it is just the wainwright renewal.   which is pretty cool.   his age with molina coming back.   now if the DH becomes law in the national league they can go get albert and all three can go out together and all three go to the hall of fame together.  (so i am a baseball romantic)

I have no idea whether it is true and hope that it's not but they could be negotiating for months. 

18 minutes ago, willie said:

That the team is for sale. 

I heard the rumors too. Weren’t they started by something Shannon said on air? I’m not saying it’s impossible, but there would have to be a pretty good reason, they way the value of professional sports franchises is skyrocketing. There would have to be an offer that blew them away, or health or some other reason. 

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I heard the rumors too. Weren’t they started by something Shannon said on air? I’m not saying it’s impossible, but there would have to be a pretty good reason, they way the value of professional sports franchises is skyrocketing. There would have to be an offer that blew them away, or health or some other reason. 

Here again no idea but there could be lots of reasons. Estate planning-fear of Biden's tax proposals - the fact that they probably lost money last year-other investment opportunities. Roy is probably right. Waino contract. 

Reinert310 likes this

15 minutes ago, willie said:

Here again no idea but there could be lots of reasons. Estate planning-fear of Biden's tax proposals - the fact that they probably lost money last year-other investment opportunities. Roy is probably right. Waino contract. 

As of 51 minutes ago, MLBtraderors.com has Cardinals and Wainwright agreeing to a deal. Couldn’t be happier for Wainwright. Outside of how great he is on the mound, he’s just such a great dude. And listening to him call some games in the playoffs last year, he’d be great in the booth after he retires. But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: that curveball he threw to Beltran to buckle his knees in the NLCS is the ballsiest pitch I’ve ever seen! 

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

the drought years of the '70s and 90's had plenty of empty seats in the stands

54 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Another possibility is to publicly refute Shannon's statement.

Goold is the Cardinals beat writer for the Post Dispatch.

If the DeWitts were looking to sell the team, I doubt they would come out publicly & say it though.  This is the statement I'd expect if they weren't selling, but the statement I'd expect if they were selling would look similar albeit maybe a little more vague.  That being said, I don't really care who owns the team as long as they put a good team on the field.

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I guess that leaves the rest as unhappy fans 18 of the last 20 years. Seems kinda stupid to me. I really like the fans that say "we should hold them accountable but yet click on every article and watch every game bitching and moaning the entire time.  

I expect to win the World Series every year, however when we don't, it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the season and have a good time watching and following the Cards. 

RUBillsFan likes this

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

And really that wouldn't apply because the Cards actually do make the playoffs almost every year and win the WS more than any other team in the NL and all of baseball except for the Yankees

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I guess that leaves the rest as unhappy fans 18 of the last 20 years. Seems kinda stupid to me. I really like the fans that say "we should hold them accountable but yet click on every article and watch every game bitching and moaning the entire time.  

I expect to win the World Series every year, however when we don't, it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the season and have a good time watching and following the Cards. 

None of us would be a mbm without being aware winning it all not too likely. Most seasons have still been enjoyable imo

slufanskip likes this