O T 14 in a row!

almaman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What’s amazing is 9 of the 14 on the road.

Leblanc, Lester, and Happ stabilizing the rotation 

OF together Bader, O’Neil, Carlson. Record when Tyler plays 76-54, when Bader plays 58-37. When they are on the field together they are one of the best all around OF in MLB. 

Replacing DeJong with Sosa. 

Adding Garcia and McFarland to the back of the bullpen. 

The Cards have absorbed a lot of injuries this year, regardless of the playoffs I’m happy with the year and am glad we didn’t trade any top prospects. From the beginning of the season I felt like we just needed to play out this year and let the Carp, Fowler, and Miller contracts go away. 

Don’t know if people are following it but Nolan Gorman is raking in AA and now AAA this year. You knew the power was there but could he keep his K’s down enough to be more than a 2 outcome player? In his first 2 years he K’d about 30%, AA this year about 27%, AAA this year over 300 plate appearances under 20% with an 862 ops. He’ll still be 21 when the season starts next year. 

Juan Yepez just 23 with an ops of 948 in over 330 AAA PA’s this year. It was 958 in AA before he was promoted. These guys will both hit in the majors.  It’s been a long time since the Cards have had the bats in the upper minors that they have now. 

Box and Won likes this

Don't know if I've ever seen a team go from one extreme bad to one we start wondering if they are world series worthy like this in just a month.   

All I know I am looking forward to the dodgers game and you can bet the powers to be are not.   

As a braves fan I am holding my breath we can just hold the Phillies off.   With our bullpen .....well I'm not betting the farm.   Good thing my backup Cepeda jersey is a cardinal one 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:56 PM, slufanskip said:

What’s amazing is 9 of the 14 on the road.

Leblanc, Lester, and Happ stabilizing the rotation 

OF together Bader, O’Neil, Carlson. Record when Tyler plays 76-54, when Bader plays 58-37. When they are on the field together they are one of the best all around OF in MLB. 

Replacing DeJong with Sosa. 

Adding Garcia and McFarland to the back of the bullpen. 

The Cards have absorbed a lot of injuries this year, regardless of the playoffs I’m happy with the year and am glad we didn’t trade any top prospects. From the beginning of the season I felt like we just needed to play out this year and let the Carp, Fowler, and Miller contracts go away. 

Don’t know if people are following it but Nolan Gorman is raking in AA and now AAA this year. You knew the power was there but could he keep his K’s down enough to be more than a 2 outcome player? In his first 2 years he K’d about 30%, AA this year about 27%, AAA this year over 300 plate appearances under 20% with an 862 ops. He’ll still be 21 when the season starts next year. 

Juan Yepez just 23 with an ops of 948 in over 330 AAA PA’s this year. It was 958 in AA before he was promoted. These guys will both hit in the majors.  It’s been a long time since the Cards have had the bats in the upper minors that they have now. 

I’d say all of these things have been big factors.

I’d add quality starts, especially, and not just the 6 and 3 version. The Cardinals have used roughly a dozen starting pitchers due to injury injury, forcing less experiences pitchers into the mix. The record difference is pretty big. Getting better starts.

Having one of the best defenses in MLB. (even without Wong who showed his value this season) A few years back Cardinals defense was not good and neither was their base running. 

Hitters both getting better but also hitting well when it counts more. Timely hitting stats are pretty positive for several players. Example: Goldschmidt’s OPS has improved a lot every month. His hard hit ball/exit velocity stats were there early. Now he has gotten more results. 

They still have plenty ot room for improvement in the offseason. But quality, starts, better deeper bullpen, great defense, timely hitting, a big 3 of hitters. etc…

If they make the 2nd WC and it’s Scherzer, they will have to find a way against him. Not paying/signing him in 2015 would be an example of some of those Cards mistakes.

8 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Don't know if I've ever seen a team go from one extreme bad to one we start wondering if they are world series worthy like this in just a month.   

All I know I am looking forward to the dodgers game and you can bet the powers to be are not.   

As a braves fan I am holding my breath we can just hold the Phillies off.   With our bullpen .....well I'm not betting the farm.   Good thing my backup Cepeda jersey is a cardinal one 

When you say the “powers to be” I assume you are talking about MLB? 

If that is correct why would they not be looking forward to a Dodgers Cardinals one game playoff?

Two of the most historic franchises in the league with two of the biggest fan bases. I think that’s exactly what they want. Two blue bloods going at it head to head.

I’m also hoping your Braves hold off the Phillies. The Braves are a much more likable team. It’s a shame Acuna Jr went down. He is one of the faces of baseball. 

it's never been a secret they want everything to be west or east coast.  go to espn right now.  a worthless yankmes redsox game again. 

the great midwestern teams regardless of sport get little respect.

dennis_w and billikenbill like this

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it's never been a secret they want everything to be west or east coast.  go to espn right now.  a worthless yankmes redsox game again. 

the great midwestern teams regardless of sport get little respect.

I agree for the most part but I still think MLB knows how much the Cardinals draw. They have fans all over the country and they have the Notre Dame football and Duke basketball affect.  People will tune in to root against them.

In the NL I think MLB would want the Dodgers then the Mets just because it’s NY.   (I think they are wrong here Cardinals vs Dodgers would out draw Dodgers vs Mets). I think the Cardinals would be their third choice. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I agree for the most part but I still think MLB knows how much the Cardinals draw. They have fans all over the country and they have the Notre Dame football and Duke basketball affect.  People will tune in to root against them.

In the NL I think MLB would want the Dodgers then the Mets just because it’s NY.   (I think they are wrong here Cardinals vs Dodgers would out draw Dodgers vs Mets). I think the Cardinals would be their third choice. 

the cardinals attendance doesnt translate to their tv ratings.   they believe the east coast markets bring more tv viewers than the midwest markets.  mlb makes their money on tv advertising not cardinal turnstiles.  

dennis_w likes this

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the cardinals attendance doesnt translate to their tv ratings.   they believe the east coast markets bring more tv viewers than the midwest markets.  mlb makes their money on tv advertising not cardinal turnstiles.  

I completely understand TV drives the decisions.

What I am saying is that MLB knows the Cardinals are one of their biggest draws. The Cardinals TV rating nationally are great. 

Thats why they are always among the leaders in national broadcasts. 

Its why they are always getting Facebook games and YouTube games. 
When the Cardinals play eyeballs are on the game. Those eyeballs come from all over the country and MLB knows that. 

The Cardinals are a blue blood.

thatskablamo likes this

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I completely understand TV drives the decisions.

What I am saying is that MLB knows the Cardinals are one of their biggest draws. The Cardinals TV rating nationally are great. 

Thats why they are always among the leaders in national broadcasts. 

Its why they are always getting Facebook games and YouTube games. 
When the Cardinals play eyeballs are on the game. Those eyeballs come from all over the country and MLB knows that. 

The Cardinals are a blue blood.

They have the reach of the KMOX tower to thank for that ;)

3 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

They have the reach of the KMOX tower to thank for that ;)

Yep.

You could listen to the Cardinals on KMOX in the DC area at one point. That’s a giant reach.

Each team is only allowed a certain amount of “ESPN games.” 
The Cardinals had the max number from 2010-2018. They were one short of the max in 2019. I couldn’t find the numbers after that. 
I don’t like ESPN but it’s hard to argue with their Cardinals coverage.