Ben Frederickson is at it again

Brighton

Just now, drkelsey55 said:

How many years have we had Flu vaccines? Lots of people die from the flu every year but we don't 

have to get vaccinated. It's a choice. I got the covid vaccine but I have never had a flu vaccine and don't intend to.

Yes people do die from the flu but they usually are old and have complicating issues. People also die of broken bones when they throw an embolism but you don’t see people saying don’t repair my bone. Those of us who get flu shots are not appreciative of those who don’t and help spread it more. Sorry can’t accept people still spreading this nonsense

RUBillsFan likes this

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@RUBillsFan --- my observation is neither pro nor con, just an observation.  Just seems like a dichotomy of messages versus reality.  All I see on the news is how this pandemic is far from over.  That there is no room at the hospital inn.  Yet the visuals seem to suggest otherwise, that's all I'm saying.  Kind of hard to push one narrative when evidence pushes the contrary.  Football appears to be much more important.  Personally, I don't understand it but that's on me.  

About one month to indoor venues being all the rage.  I suspect they will change the rules there once again.

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If you believe what Missouri says that the athletic department is self funded and does not receive direct funds from the university then I would think their basketball program could use the revenue. Now how do you define direct funding?  My parish insists on claiming that the school is self funded but when you see the financials the school is not charged for the building, energy, maintenance and custodial services, etc.  So as they say figures don’t lie but liars figure. 

Mizzery gets in excess of $45 mii/ year from the SEC. I don’t know how they do their accounting, ie does their AD get charged with maintenance fees for stadiums, etc, but $45 mil is a lot more than SLU’s AD revenues. I’m not saying the $$’s from a SLU game is something to sneeze at, only that we’d need it more than them. 

59 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes people do die from the flu but they usually are old and have complicating issues. People also die of broken bones when they throw an embolism but you don’t see people saying don’t repair my bone. Those of us who get flu shots are not appreciative of those who don’t and help spread it more. Sorry can’t accept people still spreading this nonsense

That's not totally true.  Far more young people die from the flu and than covid, at least from what I've seen and read.  Also having never gotten the flu or a flu shot I can't say as I care if you apperciate it or not.....

51 minutes ago, David King said:

The majority of us have been vaccinated. For us, the pandemic is over.

My asthmatic kids can't get vaccinated yet & people who have been vaccinated can still spread it, so...yeah people thinking it is over earlier than they should is kind of a big deal for me.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

My asthmatic kids can't get vaccinated yet & people who have been vaccinated can still spread it, so...yeah people thinking it is over earlier than they should is kind of a big deal for me.

No offense but that’s kind of a you problem not an us problem.  My asthmatic kid  is over twelve so he’s been vaxxed since it was available. He. Might get COVID anyway and it could still do him some damage. I’m not particularly worried about keeping him in a bubble. I’m also not demanding everyone else to mask up in his presence. He still more likely to get hurt riding in a car to school than getting COVID……

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

No offense but that’s kind of a you problem not an us problem.  My asthmatic kid  is over twelve so he’s been vaxxed since it was available. He. Might get COVID anyway and it could still do him some damage. I’m not particularly worried about keeping him in a bubble. I’m also not demanding everyone else to mask up in his presence. He still more likely to get hurt riding in a car to school than getting COVID……

Ugh... I'm going to cease commenting on this topic anymore so my faith in humanity isn't crushed any further.

10 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Wow. Just wow. 

-so Mizzou athletic dept. told their alum about their ludicrous proposal and he dutifully ran with it, no shock

-if they were serious about playing they would play, I think they fear losing to SLU and having more people around the state/region/college basketball landscape realize the pecking order of hoops around here

-however, Mizzou needs to have just enough success to keep Cuonzo employed there

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

Thanks Taj for turning a really important thread about Mizzou vs. SLU into a really important thread on COVID.

jollythree1.gif?w=940

Im here to save the thread!

More impressive former Billiken moment….

A. Adam Knollmeyer with authority over the trash can 

B. Brett Jolly dropping bombs from deep

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

jollythree1.gif?w=940

Im here to save the thread!

More impressive former Billiken moment….

A. Adam Knollmeyer with authority over the trash can 

B. Brett Jolly dropping bombs from deep

Put it this way, a lot of guys can brick a 3-pointer, but how many guys can dunk over a trash can. Think about it….

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Put it this way, a lot of guys can brick a 3-pointer, but how many guys can dunk over a trash can. Think about it….

I guess the better question would be which is more absurd.

Brett Jolly skipping back on defense like he truly believed that shot was going in 

or

Knollmeyer believing dunking around a trash can made him look cool.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:27 PM, NH said:

Except that he has never pointed this out. That’s my only problem. There should be somebody in the local media putting pressure on Mizzou to play SLU straight up. Unfortunately BenFred joins the long list of local commentators who decide not to do so. 

I think he could have, but Twitter is not conducive to long, nuanced thoughts as we know.

I just think we need to read Tweets with a grain of salt, even when the person Tweeting is a journalist.

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

I guess the better question would be which is more absurd.

Brett Jolly skipping back on defense like he truly believed that shot was going in 

or

Knollmeyer believing dunking around a trash can made him look cool.

Knollmeyer is more absurd.  Today kids post to YouTube all day long.  When Knollmeyer was in HS it wasn’t very common.  Plus I think the choppiness of the Jolly gif makes it look like he’s skipping when he’s really not.

11 hours ago, slu72 said:

Mizzery gets in excess of $45 mii/ year from the SEC. I don’t know how they do their accounting, ie does their AD get charged with maintenance fees for stadiums, etc, but $45 mil is a lot more than SLU’s AD revenues. I’m not saying the $$’s from a SLU game is something to sneeze at, only that we’d need it more than them. 

The football program eats a lot of that money up. The money from game with us would make more money available for non revenue sports.  The AD group hast view all revenue more wholistic then simply one sport alone. They simply have decided that they chose not to go after the money from a game. As I have said before I could give a rats ass about playing them

10 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

That's not totally true.  Far more young people die from the flu and than covid, at least from what I've seen and read.  Also having never gotten the flu or a flu shot I can't say as I care if you apperciate it or not.....

You are a sad little man but whatever at this point

7 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You are a sad little man but whatever at this point

No.  Like the vast majority of humans, I've made a realistic risk assessment of based on what I've read, seen, and experienced.  My decision to get vaccinated against covid but not the garden variety flu is completely rational and has nearly nothing to do with you.  Obviously we will still have covid and influenza outbreaks regardless of my decision.  If you feel you need to change how you do things in order to be safe, so be it.   

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

No.  Like the vast majority of humans, I've made a realistic risk assessment of based on what I've read, seen, and experienced.  My decision to get vaccinated against covid but not the garden variety flu is completely rational and has nearly nothing to do with you.  Obviously we will still have covid and influenza outbreaks regardless of my decision.  If you feel you need to change how you do things in order to be safe, so be it.   

My comments were not Specific to me but a commentary on your approach to how you view your responsibility to society in general. You seem to view your actions as only impacting you and not how it impacts others. I understand that you have made a decision based on whatever you chose to factor in but as a society we have to act not solely as individuals but as a collective group at times. Telling a person who is concerned about their child’s health that that is his problem not yours is a perfect example of how you view your relationship in society.