Ben Frederickson is at it again

Brighton

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the billikens have nothing to gain playing a lesser program like mi$$ouri.   and to even suggest a 2-1 w 2 in columbia is a joke.

AGB91 and bauman like this

It’s mind blowing reading the comments on there.

The most common response is Mizzou honks calling Bills fans delusional about their place in college athletics. 

They need to look in the mirror. They perceive themselves as on par with Kansas in basketball and Georgia in football.

In reality Mizzou more resembles Washington State and Rutgers. 

TJHawk likes this

Well let’s look at what he said. He did not say that the deal was fair. He did not say that the SEMO FB deal was the same thing as our BB situation. All he said was that an offer was made and if SLU really wanted to play MU they could have had a deal 

I criticize the Post as often as others so I am not an apologist for them but ragging on them undeservedly is not productive. Some on the board just can not let it go. I am like Roy it simply is not important to me to play MU. Nothing in it for us unless the deal is fair for both. Complaining about the situation only encourages writers to scratch a sore  

Just let it go you will be happier trust me

billiken_roy and dlarry like this

When Kansas plays MU in stuff they often play in KC & it is thought of as neutral (think) if not it is. We should play Mizzou every year @ either dome or whatever Kiel is these days. 1/2 tickets to each team. Seems like that would please MU alum in the Lou if not everybody else.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I’m sure we’d give Mizzou a 2 for 1 with 2 in St.Louis therefore isn’t it Mizzou that doesn’t really want to play

Why wouldn’t Chris May do something like hold the wood bat games we traditionally play with Missouri out in O’Fallon hostage until the MU AD agrees to a basketball home and home? Missouri Baseball gains absolutely nothing except throwing some junk freshman from Zumwalt so his mom (Carol) and dad (Dan) don’t have to drive to Columbia. Yet this game is routinely scheduled…why not sign a contract for this game to continue another 10 years and put some hoops pork into it? Get creative, Chris!

7 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Why wouldn’t Chris May do something like hold the wood bat games we traditionally play with Missouri out in O’Fallon hostage until the MU AD agrees to a basketball home and home? Missouri Baseball gains absolutely nothing except throwing some junk freshman from Zumwalt so his mom (Carol) and dad (Dan) don’t have to drive to Columbia. Yet this game is routinely scheduled…why not sign a contract for this game to continue another 10 years and put some hoops pork into it? Get creative, Chris!

I don’t think Chris May cares if we play Mizzou. I don’t care. Look at our schedule this year. I’d rather play UAB than Mizzou. @Boise St, Belmont, Drake, Memphis, Auburn, even maybe BC with Mizzou undoubtedly regressing this year after losing all those seniors. We don’t need to play Mizzou. Sure, it would be nice for fans. But if I’m Chris May, I’m not going to grovel or use the schedules of our teams as bargaining chips to try to negotiate playing a team that would most likely be a quad 3 home game for us this year. F Mizzou.

I think you guys are reading too much in to that Tweet.

He could have pointed out that it is perfectly reasonable for SLU to expect a 1-1 or 2-2 or 1-2 with two in St. Louis, given the state of the programs, but Twitter has a character limit.

Also, go look at the forums and clearly no one dislikes Mizzou basketball like Mizzou fans.

7 minutes ago, WUH said:

He could have pointed out that it is perfectly reasonable for SLU to expect a 1-1 or 2-2 or 1-2 with two in St. Louis, given the state of the programs, but Twitter has a character limit.

Except that he has never pointed this out. That’s my only problem. There should be somebody in the local media putting pressure on Mizzou to play SLU straight up. Unfortunately BenFred joins the long list of local commentators who decide not to do so. 

Zink, Reinert310, A10Ref and 1 other like this

17 minutes ago, NH said:

Except that he has never pointed this out. That’s my only problem. There should be somebody in the local media putting pressure on Mizzou to play SLU straight up. Unfortunately BenFred joins the long list of local commentators who decide not to do so. 

I never expect Missouri J School alumni like Frederickson to put any pressure on their alma mater to do anything when it concerns SLU.  It's clear where their allegiances lie most of the time.

cheeseman likes this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I never expect Missouri J School alumni like Frederickson to put any pressure on their alma mater to do anything when it concerns SLU.  It's clear where their allegiances lie most of the time.

Agreed. And the Post will never ask them too. When SLU is competing for an NCAA birth this year, and Mizzou is 10th in the SEC, Ben Fred will inevitably jump on the SLU bandwagon. It is what it is.

I just don’t care anymore since MU does not want to play SLU I moved on.

I enjoy the games no matter who SLU plays.

SLU will be playing for their 5th straight winning season, improved the roster and have a good non-conference schedule all good without them.

AGB91 likes this

the only good that could have come out of playing mi$$ouri (only at the Fetz) is it could have been a nice gimmee game in our very tough non conference schedule.   we would probably need a buylike game in there somewhere just to give the billikens a little break.  

almaman likes this

I think we should play MU every year!  It would be fun.  One thing about being in the A10 is lack of regional rivalries. Also, no MU vs KU and MU vs IL has lost its luster over the past decade(s), they could use a regional rival as well.

And I think the “we have nothing to gain..” and “impact of local recruiting.. blah blah…” arguments FROM BOTH SIDES is a bunch of weeny talk.  Settle it on the court!!

All of that being said, I’m not losing sleep over not playing MU ;) 

I just watched two weekends of NFL and College Football games.  Supposedly 90,000 folks at the Swamp.  Almost 110,000 at Happy Valley.  Packed house at South Bend.  Nary a seat in Vegas, Baltimore, Kansas City, Pittsburgh.  And extremely few masks .... some, but rather rare.  And don't stick me with the "it's outside" argument.  Close quarters is close quarters.  Kind of hard to follow the national line of "ongoing pandemic" when the visuals strongly say otherwise.  

57 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I just watched two weekends of NFL and College Football games.  Supposedly 90,000 folks at the Swamp.  Almost 110,000 at Happy Valley.  Packed house at South Bend.  Nary a seat in Vegas, Baltimore, Kansas City, Pittsburgh.  And extremely few masks .... some, but rather rare.  And don't stick me with the "it's outside" argument.  Close quarters is close quarters.  Kind of hard to follow the national line of "ongoing pandemic" when the visuals strongly say otherwise.  

Yep.  Packed houses at football games mean the pandemic is over.  Nothing to see here:

https://apnews.com/article/health-public-health-coronavirus-pandemic-idaho-a0729894b42af1c3dadeccaffeabea0c

Just because there are a lot of people okay acting like the pandemic is over doesn't mean it actually is.  

SLU v Mizzery in BB is solely a for the fans and money game. It is indeed a money making affair and should likely be held at every year at where the Blues play. That’s neutral since there are more MU alums than Billikens in STL. We’re not going to gain any recruiting advantage, and Mizzery is not going to lose one. With few exceptions the really highly touted 4 and 5 star local and MO kids have lately tended to go to the really elite BB programs. It makes no sense for either school not to play it, although, Mizzery probably doesn’t need the big payday as much as we do. 
All that said, it makes no difference to me if they ever face off, but it is kind of foolish they don’t. 

almaman likes this

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yep.  Packed houses at football games mean the pandemic is over.  Nothing to see here:

https://apnews.com/article/health-public-health-coronavirus-pandemic-idaho-a0729894b42af1c3dadeccaffeabea0c

Just because there are a lot of people okay acting like the pandemic is over doesn't mean it actually is.  

It is an interesting thought. Is the pandemic over when people stop dying, or when people stop caring?

RUBillsFan likes this

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

It is an interesting thought. Is the pandemic over when people stop dying, or when people stop caring?

My take is the pandemic is over when everyone (children included) is eligible for the vaccine. Based on reports the past few days, emergency use authorization for children could come soon. 

6 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I wouldn't necessarily say people don't care, but more some people deciding they are willing to accept a certain level of risk.  This is especially true for people that have been vaccinated. 

I'm vaccinated and willing to accept a low level of risk to enjoy a more normal level of life.

Billiken Rich likes this

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

SLU v Mizzery in BB is solely a for the fans and money game. It is indeed a money making affair and should likely be held at every year at where the Blues play. That’s neutral since there are more MU alums than Billikens in STL. We’re not going to gain any recruiting advantage, and Mizzery is not going to lose one. With few exceptions the really highly touted 4 and 5 star local and MO kids have lately tended to go to the really elite BB programs. It makes no sense for either school not to play it, although, Mizzery probably doesn’t need the big payday as much as we do. 
All that said, it makes no difference to me if they ever face off, but it is kind of foolish they don’t. 

If you believe what Missouri says that the athletic department is self funded and does not receive direct funds from the university then I would think their basketball program could use the revenue. Now how do you define direct funding?  My parish insists on claiming that the school is self funded but when you see the financials the school is not charged for the building, energy, maintenance and custodial services, etc.  So as they say figures don’t lie but liars figure. 

How many years have we had Flu vaccines? Lots of people die from the flu every year but we don't 

have to get vaccinated. It's a choice. I got the covid vaccine but I have never had a flu vaccine and don't intend to.

Billiken Rich likes this