Midtown Madness: S2E3 Full MBB Schedule, Conf. Shakeup & SLU, MSOC Resurgence, WSOC Struggles, BSB Alumni Update

Podcast

@courtside I appreciate your soccer breakdowns, but for my U13s this weekend if I say "But if you keep pressing and forcing corners and free kicks, you create more opportunities for yourself" to them do I have to credit you? An opinion like this is pretty common across the game. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

29 minutes ago, courtside said:

No. Pistol has copied, often times word for word things I’ve written in the Soccer threads as if it were his own material in his podcasts. That isn’t really ethical to me. Again, any sort of friendly Billikens Dot Com reference in general would suffice. If I take the time to watch the games and post about them, that’s the least I would ask. 

I wasn't talking about your soccer recaps.  I was talking about his basketball recruiting work.  Peter from @Midtown Madness often does steal things "word for word" from the Billikens Dot Com poster @Pistol for the basketball recruiting stuff which is totally fine because they are the same freaking person.

Regarding the soccer stuff, IMO, before throwing out wild accusations of plagiarism and calling fellow posters unethical, you should have concrete evidence.  The examples, you posted are not even close to "word for word".  You guys are both describing the same soccer games.  There is bound to be overlap in the recaps.  Even if someone didn't watch the game they can get all kinds of details from Twitter, highlights, and recaps on SLU's website.

Recapping the same games as you while also using common soccer terminology does not prove that anyone has been stealing from you.  I cannot fathom having such a high opinion of myself that I'd think my collegiate soccer recaps on an internet message board were so sacrosanct that anyone describing the game in a remotely similar way must be stealing from me.

31 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

@courtside I appreciate your soccer breakdowns, but for my U13s this weekend if I say "But if you keep pressing and forcing corners and free kicks, you create more opportunities for yourself" to them do I have to credit you. An opinion like this is pretty common across the game. 

I understand what you are saying, but it’s much more than that one example, it’s a pattern. They know that. I am not telling them something that they don’t already know. If you lined up many examples and compared side by side, it would be more clear to you. And then what happens is that those examples increase if left unchecked. And that’s exactly what happened.

If that makes me the bad guy by pointing it out so they may perhaps change their approach a bit, that’s fine, I’ll take the hit, even though I’d rather it be an opportunity for something good. It certainly took me a long while to finally politely say something. 

Again, I have nothing against these guys. I wish them well.  I tried to be supportive of their podcast when they had Katie as a guest even though it was pretty rough with ums and missed opportunities with questions and topics not mentioned. 

Like I said, I am happy to have them discuss on and off field things in the threads first, where everyone is respected as an equal participant. That would help avoid some of the (unintentional) misinformation on some of their podcasts. 

I’m happy to interact with anyone who makes a minimal effort. I even talked Women’s first names with RUBllsFan recently, even though it was probably more of a subject for her than me. 

For me their podcast comes across as more exclusive than inclusive, more about the two of them than about SLU itself or this board or etc..otherwise why wait to discuss a sport or game etc.? Why not post  back and forth in the threads first? Because for them it’s more about the two of them and not about the threads here and SLU discussion. At least that is what it seems in some instances.

Take injuries for example, or recruiting or xyz, what should I say if I know something they are speculating is pretty far off base? That’s also happened. I don’t always post everything I might know. 

We’ll see if they post more in the soccer threads for example or mention this website more on their podcast. That’s up to them.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wasn't talking about your soccer recaps.  I was talking about his basketball recruiting work.  Peter from @Midtown Madness often does steal things "word for word" from the Billikens Dot Com poster @Pistol for the basketball recruiting stuff which is totally fine because they are the same freaking person.

Regarding the soccer stuff, IMO, before throwing out wild accusations of plagiarism and calling fellow posters unethical, you should have concrete evidence.  The examples, you posted are not even close to "word for word".  You guys are both describing the same soccer games.  There is bound to be overlap in the recaps.  Even if someone didn't watch the game they can get all kinds of details from Twitter, highlights, and recaps on SLU's website.

Recapping the same games as you while also using common soccer terminology does not prove that anyone has been stealing from you.  I cannot fathom having such a high opinion of myself that I'd think my collegiate soccer recaps on an internet message board were so sacrosanct that anyone describing the game in a remotely similar way must be stealing from me.

Respectfully, no. I really don’t want to have to list lots of examples from various podcasts, and post a side by side. Like I said, they know, and they have admitted as such in their round about way in their replies. They both do it.

It’s pretty difficult to post that specifically, about games they didn’t see that just so happens to be the same words used by someone else who actually saw the game. 

Like I said, I having nothing personal against those guys. I am happy to help them in any way. I wish them well.

Courtside has a point.   This stuff is getting rampant in Sports.  I mean just yesterday day I heard both ESPN and FS1 refer to Eddie Rosario's home run as a long ball. We gotta do something and I'm glad Courtside had the cajones to put his foot down.  I mean when will it end?!   Next thing ya know they'll be making fun of Clocktower and then where does that leave me? Rudderless and lost that's where. 

Midtown Madness, pretty sure Frank Cusamono used that exact phrase on a broadcast 16 November 2013. Busted.

I for one want my money back from this podcast.

20 hours ago, courtside said:

I understand what you are saying, but it’s much more than that one example, it’s a pattern. They know that. I am not telling them something that they don’t already know. If you lined up many examples and compared side by side, it would be more clear to you. And then what happens is that those examples increase if left unchecked. And that’s exactly what happened.

If that makes me the bad guy by pointing it out so they may perhaps change their approach a bit, that’s fine, I’ll take the hit, even though I’d rather it be an opportunity for something good. It certainly took me a long while to finally politely say something. 

Again, I have nothing against these guys. I wish them well.  I tried to be supportive of their podcast when they had Katie as a guest even though it was pretty rough with ums and missed opportunities with questions and topics not mentioned. 

Like I said, I am happy to have them discuss on and off field things in the threads first, where everyone is respected as an equal participant. That would help avoid some of the (unintentional) misinformation on some of their podcasts. 

I’m happy to interact with anyone who makes a minimal effort. I even talked Women’s first names with RUBllsFan recently, even though it was probably more of a subject for her than me. 

For me their podcast comes across as more exclusive than inclusive, more about the two of them than about SLU itself or this board or etc..otherwise why wait to discuss a sport or game etc.? Why not post  back and forth in the threads first? Because for them it’s more about the two of them and not about the threads here and SLU discussion. At least that is what it seems in some instances.

Take injuries for example, or recruiting or xyz, what should I say if I know something they are speculating is pretty far off base? That’s also happened. I don’t always post everything I might know. 

We’ll see if they post more in the soccer threads for example or mention this website more on their podcast. That’s up to them.

Courtside, I enjoy reading your soccer posts.  In fact, I have complimented you on this site for writing your posts.  However, you are way off base on this one.  Please stop telling these guys what they should and should not do in their podcast.  They don't have to do it.  They don't make money off of doing it.  It is not their job to do it.  They do it to help enhance the experience of Billiken fans.  If they do interviews great.  If they offer witty banter than includes some of their opinions about some of the non-revenue sports, that's fine by me to.  To be clear, I don't care where they get their information that they use for the show.  I don't think anyone else on this site does either.  I don't care if they get it from SLU's website.  I don't care if they get it from Twitter.  I don't care if they get it because they watched the games live or on some sort of streaming platform.  I certainly don't care if they get it they get it off of your posts.  You're not a journalist.  Neither are they.  You post the information that you post for purposes of passing along information.  That being said, I don't think they are lifting info directly from your posts, but even if they did, let me reiterate I don't care.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

...... let me reiterate I don't care.

This whole thing turned CD into a nihilist.   You happy now, Midtown Madness (if that's your real name)?

Anything worse than Nihilists?  Well maybe Illinois Nazis and I hate Illinois Nazis but so far no known impact on Nazi recruitment from this podcast.  Though I am aware Nazis are pro plagiarism and often sticklers on grammar.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This whole thing turned CD into a nihilist.   You happy now, Midtown Madness (if that's your real name)?

Anything worse than Nihilists?  Well maybe Illinois Nazis and I hate Illinois Nazis but so far no known impact on Nazi recruitment from this podcast.  Though I am aware Nazis are pro plagiarism and often sticklers on grammar.

🙁